Personal opinions on RGB....

Fessas
40 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Motherboards, like the Asus hero and formula has gone up a ton in price with one of the only extra things being RGB. Keyboards like the cm storm, I could without any problems save 30-40$ on a cm storm TKL model, by just going with the pure white led model over a RGB model.

If they offer both models of the keyboard, then I honestly see no issue. And for the motherboard issue, when you say that it's gone up a ton in price, do you mean from last generation to this one?

16 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

If they offer both models of the keyboard, then I honestly see no issue. And for the motherboard issue, when you say that it's gone up a ton in price, do you mean from last generation to this one?

This gens hero cost the same as last gens formula, but it is overall lower quality, just with added RGB. For the keyboards, they used to offer a just white led option, but they no longer do.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I have yet to play with hardline tubing, I feel as though the maintenance will be much more difficult then with a soft tubing loop. I just simply take the block off, hang it, and drain from there.

Yo u don't use a drain?  Hardline is actually a lot easier on maintenance as the tubing doesn't need to be replaced as often

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I like RGB, but mostly for the wider range of color combinations so I can more personalize my stuff.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

20 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

This gens hero cost the same as last gens formula, but it is overall lower quality, just with added RGB. For the keyboards, they used to offer a just white led option, but they no longer do.

How so is it a lower quality? do you have any sources?

13 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yo u don't use a drain?  Hardline is actually a lot easier on maintenance as the tubing doesn't need to be replaced as often

hmmmm, Maybe I'll have to do hardline then... And In my experience not every little bit comes out with a drain, the case still needs to be tilted and stuff no?

2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Only thing lower quality is the VRM heat sinks, with most current ones being somewhat milled blocks, not fins.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only thing lower quality is the VRM heat sinks, with most current ones being somewhat milled blocks, not fins.

This is a problem with "gaming" hardware in general. It forgoes function to form, even if it means making inefficient cooling designs.

I'm very tempted to replace my motherboard's chipset heat sink with something that actually resembles a heat sink. I mean look at it:

Z170I-Pro-Gaming_02.jpg

It may as well be a solid block of aluminum for all I care. Great job ASUS. That heat sink is certainly giving me 10% more bogomarks.

14 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

You can just look at the VRM setup and all of the caps they use. It is on Asus own website most of it. Hell from memory I remember even the audio being lower quality and if you have ever compared the two in quality IRL, then you would know the hero board feels flimsy.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

44 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Not really...  I you look at the $50 price bump between the rgb and non rgb and then also count for 

A) Inflation

B) Cost of a new socket

Asus very clearly makes a price bump between sockets, this is shown with a (larger due to inflation) jump from 289.99 to 329.99.  The rgb is just coincidentally released at the same time.

• Formula II (775) MSRP - 249.99
  • Formula III (1156) MSRP - 249.99
  • Formula IV doesn't seem to exist

First built in vrm block \/

• Formula V (1155) - MSRP - 289.99 

First implementation of armor and better waterblock

• Formula VI (1150)  MSRP - 329.99

Red ROG logo and better soundcard

• Formula VII (1150) MSRP - 339.99

Rgb out the wazoo

• Formula VIII (1151) MSRP - 389.99
  • Formula IX (1151) MSRP - 399.99
  • Formula X (1151) MSRP - 409.99

20 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

hmmmm, Maybe I'll have to do hardline then... And In my experience not every little bit comes out with a drain, the case still needs to be tilted and stuff no?

It doesn't usually for me but I use very easy to flow through tubing.

Shit.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

I don’t really like the RGB rainbow effect, but the fact that I can chose one of 16.5 million colours is great, and when I’m tired of looking at a shining PC I can turn them off. I wouldn’t buy a component that   has an LED that wasn’t colour matched with my PC but it would be different if that LED was RGB. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I can't imagine that has much to do with RGB.....

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You can just look at the VRM setup and all of the caps they use. It is on Asus own website most of it. Hell from memory I remember even the audio being lower quality and if you have ever compared the two in quality IRL, then you would know the hero board feels flimsy.

well I'm just not familiar with what makes things like a quality VRM and capacitor.

1 hour ago, Doomerson said:

I can't imagine that has much to do with RGB.....

Look at boards like the X99 Gaming Pro Carbon, the heat sink was designed to accomodate RGB, though with a fan, it's good enough fir some overclocking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I think you're right, personally I haven't seen very many good examples of parts featuring RGB LEDs actually being more expensive.

Thank you for clearing that up I was not 100 % sure on the fact I must add however if instead of focusing on rgb builds maybe the asus msi corsair of the world can fouces on demanding and helping companies such as Nvidia and AMD to make new products for the price of old ones can drop and these old ones will still be magnificent so more people can financially make better builds.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Look at boards like the X99 Gaming Pro Carbon, the heat sink was designed to accomodate RGB, though with a fan, it's good enough fir some overclocking.

Seems like more of a design issue then RGB as a problem. Not RGB lightnings fault as a whole. Although I understand the logic: Company cuts costs to provide a feature that they know many people enjoy, effectively trading performance for aesthetics. But I think both things can be fit onto the board with little to no price increase. 

If done tastefully, i'm fine with it.

I pay more for RGB keyboards because color coordinating certain keys does have some advantages.

I wont pay more for RGB RAM though.

• 5 months later...

I would say around four or so years ago, when peripherals first started incorporating RGB lighting in them.

The first keyboards I remember with it were Corsair's K70 RGB boards.

Some other manufacturer may have been earlier to the game, but those are the first I recall.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Don't know about the LED stuff but the neon lighting has been a thing since forever.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I would say around four or so years ago, when peripherals first started incorporating RGB lighting in them.

The first keyboards I remember with it were Corsair's K70 RGB boards.

Some other manufacturer may have been earlier to the game, but those are the first I recall.

Yeah lol. I remember when literally every keyboard manufacturer came out with an RGB mechanical keyboard during CES when Cherry finally came out with a switch that had LEDs small enough to incorporate all three colors.

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Just now, CerberusFlame99 said:

Yeah lol. I remember when literally every keyboard manufacturer came out with an RGB mechanical keyboard during CES when Cherry finally came out with a switch that had LEDs small enough to incorporate all three colors.

Didn't Corsair have exclusive access to Cherry MX RGB switches for a while? I just kinda remembered that after reading your post.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Didn't Corsair have exclusive access to Cherry MX RGB switches for a while? I just kinda remembered that after reading your post.

They did but that was also around the time that Cherry's patent ended and a bunch of companies were able to release their own versions of cherry like switches

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.