Personal opinions on RGB....

Fessas
1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I dont like RGB because I just want white light and most RGB LEDs doesn't get completely white, they are often blueish white. I want white.

I like your quote in your little signature bit. And I feel as though that is a fair criticism, especially if you are someone who only wants LEDs

3 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Source?

Stores? I would post some links, but every store has a big variety of sales, so you can't  find identical pricing right now. When I bought mine a while ago the spectrum version was $10-20 more, but it was a while ago so I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it.

3 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Stores? I would post some links, but every store has a big variety of sales, so you can't  find identical pricing right now. When I bought mine a while ago the spectrum version was $10-20 more, but it was a while ago so I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it.

I wonder if they just dropped the price for the old version whenever the new iteration came out :P. Granted it wouldn't make much sense for them to keep them both the same price after releasing a new product. Or at least, it doesn't make sense to me. 

15 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

That's a pretty good use case for RGB, there are certain colors that are really hard to get, or impossible without RGB lighting, Plus you always have the option to change the colors.

I look at price on things and quality more then anything else. If I can get it for under $25 that is a dream to me. If it has RGB that is great but if not I am not going to be upset.  

RGB on mouse & keyboard looks pretty nice. As for the components, I don't really care since my pc is under my desk and I really can't see anything unless I put my head down there. I mean, if you have the space to put it on your desk the build might actually look a lot better w/ RGB but I just don't have the space to fit it w/ my 4 monitors xD

2 hours ago, gundamMC said:

RGB on mouse & keyboard looks pretty nice. As for the components, I don't really care since my pc is under my desk and I really can't see anything unless I put my head down there. I mean, if you have the space to put it on your desk the build might actually look a lot better w/ RGB but I just don't have the space to fit it w/ my 4 monitors xD

4 monitors! Wow! I only use one monitor :D and I have plenty of room on top of my desk to put my PC :P. Personally my keyboard has the best RGB lighting implementation that I have yet to see. It's the corsair strafe, and it just looks beautiful. I can just lean back, and look at all of my computer parts. Something about the flashing lights is just so mesmerizing to me. 

For the people talking about wanting white RGB but getting yellow or blue tones showing up. Can you change the Kelvin with RGB or is it a set colour? 

If you can adjust the kelvin, try a 4700k - 5000k colour temp. That should be close to white white. 6500k has a lot of blue in that temp range and 3000k and below gets very warm and yellow/orange. It's a lot like buying light bulbs. 

23 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I think that is an opinion that a lot of people hold about their PC hardware. For some reason I feel as though I turn my PC build almost into an art project. Just something that I can tinker with, and mod to something that I enjoy to be around more. And since I'm around my computer a fair amount, I figure : Why not modify the object to something that I want it to be? I'll gain experience in different skills and have an item that typically evokes positive emotions. 

Well that should be the same with anything anyone enjoys. Just doing what is right for you is the right thing as you get to enjoy it more. I just leave most of my modding for my interests which are decidedly less flashy.

It's lighting. The only real reason people get all aggro is because manufactures tack a stupid high "rgb tax" for what are just leds and a controller. This is the only legitimate reason to hate RGB lighting since the lighting itself just gives flexibility to not be locked into a single color--plus lighting can be turned off which makes the complaints of bright 100% moot. 

I think some time people take it way to overboard and I am not 100 % sure on this so dont quote me but is it not more expensive than regular parts which if you are new to making pc and picking parts than well I am not sure it worth it. 

You could spend more money on other things. 

13 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I like custom loops because you can constantly change the fluids, allowing you to run a nice cool loop, and not have to worry about permeation or other issues that come along with AIOs. Although you can sometimes refill AIOs as we've seen Steve from GN do, and I'm sure others. A custom loop offers a lot more convenience to the process. And that is only one benefit among many. 

I like the performance aspect, the interest in gold fittings, hardline tubing and bright purple fluid came later

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Rgb looks fantastic when shone through glass as well

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I think colored lights in general looks cheap and childish, I much prefer having hardware with colored parts and then clear "white" lights or no lights at all. 

I actively try to avoid any RGB product. The only time I would ever buy a RGB product is if it was cheaper than a equal quality product with no lights or "white" lights, but then I would also just set the LEDs to "white". But this rarely happens because they think they can suddenly take quite a bit more for their product just because it has RGB lights.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

When Jony Ive thinks its a good idea and Apple can patent RGB it might be good.

9 hours ago, William Payne said:

For the people talking about wanting white RGB but getting yellow or blue tones showing up. Can you change the Kelvin with RGB or is it a set colour? 

If you can adjust the kelvin, try a 4700k - 5000k colour temp. That should be close to white white. 6500k has a lot of blue in that temp range and 3000k and below gets very warm and yellow/orange. It's a lot like buying light bulbs. 

I haven't noticed that on any of the software that I've toyed with. 

9 hours ago, Ertman said:

Well that should be the same with anything anyone enjoys. Just doing what is right for you is the right thing as you get to enjoy it more. I just leave most of my modding for my interests which are decidedly less flashy.

And I 100% agree with that philosophy. The thing I think is silly, is whenever people actually appear to to be angered by the fact that RGB lighting even exists. Although it would be understandable under circumstances such as: all products increased in price, all products forced you to use the lighting, etc, but those circumstances just do not appear to be reality. 

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

It's lighting. The only real reason people get all aggro is because manufactures tack a stupid high "rgb tax" for what are just leds and a controller. This is the only legitimate reason to hate RGB lighting since the lighting itself just gives flexibility to not be locked into a single color--plus lighting can be turned off which makes the complaints of bright 100% moot. 

I'm not really seeing any good examples of this "RGB tax" although, if it exists beyond a very small amount of cash, is understandably upsetting. 

8 hours ago, zoraiz said:

I think some time people take it way to overboard and I am not 100 % sure on this so dont quote me but is it not more expensive than regular parts which if you are new to making pc and picking parts than well I am not sure it worth it. 

You could spend more money on other things. 

I think you're right, personally I haven't seen very many good examples of parts featuring RGB LEDs actually being more expensive.

8 hours ago, Damascus said:

I like the performance aspect, the interest in gold fittings, hardline tubing and bright purple fluid came later

I have yet to play with hardline tubing, I feel as though the maintenance will be much more difficult then with a soft tubing loop. I just simply take the block off, hang it, and drain from there.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:36 AM, Doomerson said:

Personally, I think that RGB lighting looks absolutely awesome, and I am happy that it is being integrated into computer hardware. However, I have noticed that some people are totally against it, this is strange to me considering it is usually possible to simply turn off the RGB lighting, or set it to a certain color. What do you guys think of the RGB craze? do you have any RGB lighting in your builds? 

I don't mind it as long as it can be turned off, besides most peripherals and hardware that integrate it have an over-the-top aesthetic anyway. If it can't be turned off I suppose it can be annoying for someone who does not want lights in their build - personally I don't really care about the looks of my hardware, but to each their own.

I think it became a bit of a meme at this point though, hence some people are irrationally against it. Just like summer hits, through repetition, it can move from mediocre but catchy to unbearable for some.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I think colored lights in general looks cheap and childish, I much prefer having hardware with colored parts and then clear "white" lights or no lights at all. 

I actively try to avoid any RGB product. The only time I would ever buy a RGB product is if it was cheaper than a equal quality product with no lights or "white" lights, but then I would also just set the LEDs to "white". But this rarely happens because they think they can suddenly take quite a bit more for their product just because it has RGB lights.

any examples of this? As I have yet to see any good examples of RGB actually raising prices on products.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I don't mind it as long as it can be turned off, besides most peripherals and hardware that integrate it have an over-the-top aesthetic anyway. If it can't be turned off I suppose it can be annoying for someone who does not want lights in their build - personally I don't really care about the looks of my hardware, but to each their own.

I think it became a bit of a meme at this point though, hence some people are irrationally against it. Just like summer hits, through repetition, it can move from mediocre but catchy to unbearable.

I like that take on the situation. I've personally never found things like summer hits unbearable however, (although I don't ever really listen to the radio). Typically whenever a lot of people claim that they do not like something, I really try to examine that thing, and see if there is actually a good reason that it is worth not liking. 

1 hour ago, Doomerson said:

any examples of this? As I have yet to see any good examples of RGB actually raising prices on products.

Motherboards, like the Asus hero and formula has gone up a ton in price with one of the only extra things being RGB. Keyboards like the cm storm, I could without any problems save 30-40$ on a cm storm TKL model, by just going with the pure white led model over a RGB model.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Motherboards, like the Asus hero and formula has gone up a ton in price with one of the only extra things being RGB. Keyboards like the cm storm, I could without any problems save 30-40$ on a cm storm TKL model, by just going with the pure white led model over a RGB model.

The expense could also be explained by way of that whizbang super duper software/RGB lighting eco system that needs to be paid for.

In all honesty, why can I just have a higher-end hardware without all the frills?