Personal opinions on RGB....

Fessas
11 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

What kind of hardware do you have exactly if you don't mind me asking?

I mainly use workstation boards from Supermicro. 

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

On what platform?

Not sure if you knew this..but...you can turn it off ;)

I new you can turn RGB off but why should people pay for something they won't use? Nearly every consumer-grade motherboard since Intel Skylake has RGB. Only the entry level boards don't. 

4 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

I new you can turn RGB off but why should people pay for something they won't use?

People that are buying those high-end boards aren't going to cry over an extra $5 feature that could likely come with a mail-in rebate. Companies have also gotten lazier with their designs in any color as long as it's black. Some users will also display their computers in their offices (I do) and rooms. There's a certain feeling that comes with having a system that not only performs well, but also looks good and gets attention. 

4 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Nearly every consumer-grade motherboard since Intel Skylake has RGB. Only the entry level boards don't. 

Keyword has been located. Should also have mentioned that even more cases in the entry level category ($0-50) are coming out with windowed side panels making RGB even more accessible. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

I new you can turn RGB off but why should people pay for something they won't use? Nearly every consumer-grade motherboard since Intel Skylake has RGB. Only the entry level boards don't. 

There's tons of higher level ones that lack it. Look at the WS boards by Asus, the TUF boards don't have much...I mean, if you're looking at the boards meant for gamers, then yeah. You're kind of asking for it at that point. You don't think it really increases the price that much do you? LEDs are ridiculously cheap.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I personally don't hate RGB, but it is hard to done right, and it usually cost a lot.

But for those have way more money than they need for an overkill built, investing on RGB is understandable. I just prefer to put the money on improving performance before aesthetic. 

Just now, Type 2501 said:

I personally don't hate RGB, but it is hard to done right, and it usually cost a lot.

For those have way more money than they need for an overkill built, investing on RGB is understandable. I just prefer to put the money on improving performance before aesthetic. 

I don't care for it and prefer to turn it off.  However the manufacturers only make RGB-controlling software for Windows.  If you're using Linux, you're out of luck. 

I ended up pulling the RGB connectors on my graphics card and eventually moved the PC to a non-windowed case to sort out the motherboard's glow. 

48 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's tons of higher level ones that lack it

EVGA have many black MB that looks very good without RGB LEDs

3 minutes ago, Type 2501 said:

EVGA have many black MB that looks very good without RGB LEDs

Yeah, a lot of the AsRock boards only have one or two zones as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have times where I think it is cool and other times where I hate it. If I was building something to a theme then sure no worries if it fits the theme and looks the part. 

I would like to build a little bare bones PC at some point and I must say I am more leaning towards cases where you can't see inside. 

If I was building a workstation then no RGB at all. 

i wish there was more just pure white. not the muddy yellow white the cheap RGB stuff seems to give.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I wouldn't pay for it. My builds are function before form. All of my builds have a basic green motherboard, basic green RAM sticks, and regular fans. 

U arent them arent u?

Spoiler

762.jpg

OP.

RGB is Good but i am the type of person who prefer function and performance over aesthetic.

I didnt hate their existence but it always triggered me when seeing them on products such as mousepad and headset or worse power supply.

Its a nice feature to have RGB. But it wont made me to buy certain product just because it had RGB.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

There's tons of higher level ones that lack it. Look at the WS boards by Asus, the TUF boards don't have much...I mean, if you're looking at the boards meant for gamers, then yeah. You're kind of asking for it at that point. You don't think it really increases the price that much do you? LEDs are ridiculously cheap.

Those are the "workstation" boards from Asus. The true workstation-grade boards with ECC memory support, remote management, Intel Xeon or AMD Epyc CPU's don't have RGB.

10 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Those are the "workstation" boards from Asus. The true workstation-grade boards with ECC memory support, remote management, Intel Xeon or AMD Epyc CPU's don't have RGB.

Hence the WS moniker, yes.

There are tons of boards from ASRock that have minimal RGB, there's at least 3 boards from Asus with one zone...it's not hard to find ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

price for led are low but you still need pcb space, controller, resistors and most expensive in r&d softweare 

Yeah but in the grand scheme of things the cost is still quite small. And, as I pointed out, there are other options.

Software R&D isn't really a huge expense since they'd be having the feature on at least a couple boards anyway, so it's already been developed. It's not radically different for each board. ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I'm with you there dizmo! I like doing both of the aforementioned thing, picking different lighting effects for different builds. However, I've also found I like different wave/pulse effects that cycle through all of the possible color cycles. I just find both of the options beautiful, aesthetically pleasing, and just plain old nice to look at. I occasionally find myself just gazing at my computer, and alot of that reason is because of the lighting effects.

Hell yeah. I actually haven't played around with the effects too much. Might do that with my next build, but the one after that won't have a window so it'll be pointless :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I wouldn't pay for it. My builds are function before form. All of my builds have a basic green motherboard, basic green RAM sticks, and regular fans. 

THIS

i cant stand it when i hear people talk about how they went form over function with their PC and got lower end parts just to afford doing some custom water cooling loop and RGB everything

I was totally against it for a long time. Then as I started upgrading all of my PCs, it was integrated anyway. I like that I can get all black components these days. Most of the time my RGB is off except in my media room. I like having it as a centerpiece there. I only do unicorn vomit for build log pics and whatnot. Mainly I go w/ red & white or holiday based color schemes.

ezgif.com-optimize(1).gif.6575d6bca5d668221158bb5a17aba02c.gif

I'd never run something like this 24/7, but its does make build logs more interesting.

989A0463-6043-46F1-B118-A6C2557FC1D8.jpeg.efe14b03c45b863492076af6db060aa9.jpeg

This build always has some form of color scheme as its always on display in my media room.

0C9A9673.thumb.jpg.d6bb3a7087bc4746034060442936577d.jpg

Main rig is usually blacked. If I have company over, I fire up whatever profile matches my hue lighting.

In short, RGB isn't a 24/7 thing for me, but when I use it, I like it.

Hell, my whole home is filled with HUE bulbs.  I'm a huge RGB fan, but not specifically for the reasons you might think.

RGB allows you to use any color light you like, wherever you like.  It also allows you to use none at all.

As a result, I favor the proliferation of RGB features.  For those times they're the right answer to an aesthetic problem, you've got them.  When you don't want them, turn them off.  This also lets more people with more tastes to enjoy the same products without conflicting with their own artistic vision.

Given a choice between otherwise identical cases; one with no lighting, one with single-color lighting, and one with full RGB lighting, I'll take the RGB case any time.

I'll also have it in my peripherals, to match.  My eyes are extremely sensitive, so a lighted keyboard prevents the bright monitor from obscuring the key cap legends.

As long as I'm having a lighted keyboard anyway, it may as well match the case, and so on...

RGB is good.

8 hours ago, Type 2501 said:

But for those have way more money than they need for an overkill built, investing on RGB is understandable. I just prefer to put the money on improving performance before aesthetic. 

That's fair. My first thought is this: That RGB being implemented on so many different products it is beginning to turn into a standard, and it seems like manufacter's are almost being forced to offer the feature on their products. Since I was already purchasing high-end parts, I didn't feel as though I was "paying extra" for my RGB lighting. Although if I would of went with RGB fans, then I would of been paying extra, just purely for aesthetics. 

7 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

i wish there was more just pure white. not the muddy yellow white the cheap RGB stuff seems to give.

Luckily I haven't had this issue with the white in my lighting. The whites on the G.Skillz Trident RGB DIMMs look amazing, and luckily so do the ones on my motherboard, (ASUS z-370 maximus hero) and I haven't experimented much with the GPU 1080 ti. But at first glance it does seem like it has a blue-ish tint.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah but in the grand scheme of things the cost is still quite small. And, as I pointed out, there are other options.

Software R&D isn't really a huge expense since they'd be having the feature on at least a couple boards anyway, so it's already been developed. It's not radically different for each board. ;)

I was just thinking about that too. Once a software has already been established, I don't see why it wouldn't be used for multiple iterations of a piece of hardware.

7 hours ago, DOSjockey said:

Hell, my whole home is filled with HUE bulbs.  I'm a huge RGB fan, but not specifically for the reasons you might think.

RGB allows you to use any color light you like, wherever you like.  It also allows you to use none at all.

As a result, I favor the proliferation of RGB features.  For those times they're the right answer to an aesthetic problem, you've got them.  When you don't want them, turn them off.  This also lets more people with more tastes to enjoy the same products without conflicting with their own artistic vision.

Given a choice between otherwise identical cases; one with no lighting, one with single-color lighting, and one with full RGB lighting, I'll take the RGB case any time.

I'll also have it in my peripherals, to match.  My eyes are extremely sensitive, so a lighted keyboard prevents the bright monitor from obscuring the key cap legends.

As long as I'm having a lighted keyboard anyway, it may as well match the case, and so on...

RGB is good.

I agree with each of the points that you made. I was a no-LED kind of person for a long time, until I upgraded my hardware and figured "why not give RGB a try? if I don't like it, at least I can turn it off." 

I searched for a mono-chromatic board that featured RGBLED lighting and then I went from there. So far I haven't found a time where I've felt like turning them off, granted I've only been experimenting with them for a few months. There very well may come a time where I chose to shut all of the LEDs off. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I may give that a shot with my graphics card, as it is unable to sync up with the rest of my hardware's lights, and it's LEDs seem to be of a  slightly lower quality then the other ones in my system (either that, or the color display just isn't optimized correctly). 

7 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

THIS

i cant stand it when i hear people talk about how they went form over function with their PC and got lower end parts just to afford doing some custom water cooling loop and RGB everything

Freaking hate this, seeing someone with an i5 and 1070 going full custom loop...

Honestly I shouldn't be talking though - I'm about to use a $400ish loop and $150-200ish case to cool a 6800k and 980 ti.  I could have easily bought a 1080 ti with what I've spent on wc components and the 980 ti.

Though I do see custom loops in a different way than most people, my investment in the loop should keep me running smooth for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Freaking hate this, seeing someone with an i5 and 1070 going full custom loop...

Honestly I shouldn't be talking though - I'm about to use a $400ish loop and $150-200ish case to cool a 6800k and 980 ti.  I could have easily bought a 1080 ti with what I've spent on wc components and the 980 ti.

Though I do see custom loops in a different way than most people, my investment in the loop should keep me running smooth for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

I like custom loops because you can constantly change the fluids, allowing you to run a nice cool loop, and not have to worry about permeation or other issues that come along with AIOs. Although you can sometimes refill AIOs as we've seen Steve from GN do, and I'm sure others. A custom loop offers a lot more convenience to the process. And that is only one benefit among many.