More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

I know the Enthusiast side of the PC market will care about the gaming performance alone, the real question is how deeply this'll effect the VM & Cloud markets. And the nature in which that performance hit happens. If it's 15% under full load, is that Max or is it 15% at every level of load below that? 

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Thing is getting so serious with all the speculation though that now I seen a thread about what CPU to get for high end gaming and people said Ryzen instead of the i7 8700k... even when the main article on the subject already goes like:

Will my games get slower?

Probably not. Phoronix also tested Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dawn of War III, F1 2017, and The Talos Principle on a Linux 4.15-rc6 machine with a Core i7-8700K and Radeon Vega 64. None saw a frame rate change outside the margin of error range.

What an intense day this has been.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

With this going on and ryzen+ release in late february/early march, might be time to buy more AMD stock.

MY SETUP

CPU: 1700X @3.9GHz     

MOBO: Asus Prime X370 Pro   

GPU: 1080 Ti FTW3   

RAM: 4x32 Corsair Vengeance LPX @2900MHz  

CASE:  Deepcool Genome V1   

PERIPHERALS

MOUSE: Logitech G502

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strage RGB Cherry MX Red

HEADSET: Logitech G933

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thing is getting so serious with all the speculation though that now I seen a thread about what CPU to get for high end gaming and people said Ryzen instead of the i7 8700k... even when the main article on the subject already goes like:

What an intense day this has been.

I kind of stopped caring about those threads. Before a voice of reason steps in a flock of lambs have already claimed the pasture.

5 minutes ago, core0 said:

With this going on and ryzen+ release in late february/early march, might be time to buy more AMD stock.

And then what? AMD seems to have nothing resembling a longer term plan other than another refresh of Ryzen and probably Vega.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And then what? AMD seems to have nothing resembling a longer term plan other than another refresh of Ryzen and probably Vega.

I mean, I already got some shares for $10, buy some more now. Last March at Ryzen 7 release, AMD stock went up to $15. If it goes back to $15, maybe even higher, gonna make decent money.

MY SETUP

CPU: 1700X @3.9GHz     

MOBO: Asus Prime X370 Pro   

GPU: 1080 Ti FTW3   

RAM: 4x32 Corsair Vengeance LPX @2900MHz  

CASE:  Deepcool Genome V1   

PERIPHERALS

MOUSE: Logitech G502

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strage RGB Cherry MX Red

HEADSET: Logitech G933

I dont want to be biased for any manafacturer, but i think this will equalize Intel and AMD in terms of performance (Intel might loose its 10-20% single performance increase over AMD) making the Intel chips stupid choices.

I dont think that 30% loss is possible, only like 15-20% at max

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

We've only seen limited testing on Linux, and things may be better or worse when we get a Windows update also. It will certainly depend on the tasks so you can't just throw out a single number. Let's wait and see...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I kind of stopped caring about those threads. Before a voice of reason steps in a flock of lambs have already claimed the pasture.

lol, did you even researched anything, they already said they are working on a scalable gpu (probably fixes the biggest gcn problem) which is huge, they are working on huge server cpus, entering the server market which is a very large market, with a very compelling product, if anything its just going to get better, the refresh of ryzen also will help with the clock speed difference 

What actual intel CPU gens are hit by this?

And i have a gut feeling intel knew of this already but pushed and pushed for market share and dominance for this length of time up until it will bite them on their ass, amassing enough to barely be hit by the problem hoping Windows will fix it for them.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I dont want to be biased for any manafacturer, but i think this will equalize Intel and AMD in terms of performance (Intel might loose its 10-20% single performance increase over AMD) making the Intel chips stupid choices.

I dont think that 30% loss is possible, only like 15-20% at max

it seems it really depends on what the program is doing as it seems things like gaming isn't affected but other types of work is significantly 

1 minute ago, Subtle Corruption said:

All the way back to Sandy Bridge and some Pentiums from back in the day are apparently going to be hit

1 minute ago, Subtle Corruption said:

And i have a gut feeling intel knew of this already but pushed and pushed for market share and dominance for this length of time up until it will bite them on their ass, amassing enough to barely be hit by the problem hoping Windows will fix it for them.

it seems anything thats from intel in the last decade (so probably the whole Core lineup )

Just now, cj09beira said:

lol, did you even researched anything, they already said they are working on a scalable gpu (probably fixes the biggest gcn problem) which is huge, they are working on huge server cpus, entering the server market which is a very large market, with a very compelling product, if anything its just going to get better, the refresh of ryzen also will help with the clock speed difference 

And then what?

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And then what?

you do know that ALL companies only give the public a small amount of info of next products.

and all that i said is a lot, and also more innovative than anything intel is doing.

(seems like i am talking to a wall here)

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

you do know that ALL companies only give the public a small amount of info of next products.

and all that i said is a lot, and also more innovative than anything intel is doing.

(seems like i am talking to a wall here)

Yeah, well, the feeling's mutual.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And then what?

Theoretically, next gen 295x2, but with lower clocks and visible to the OS only as one GPU. The best Crossfire can do, and not less.

But we'll see.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's Intel's long term plan? What's Intel's plan been so far ;).

AMD's plan is not any different to Intel's, AMD just doesn't change the name for each iteration (Zen+, Zen 2, Zen 3) unlike Intel so it looks more stagnant.

19 minutes ago, Subtle Corruption said:

Afaik Pentium Pro and later 

18 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

it seems it really depends on what the program is doing as it seems things like gaming isn't affected but other types of work is significantly 

Honestly, we won't know until we're testing under Windows. Most of the testing has been in Vulkan-based Linux games. While they work, they don't max out GPUs in the way that the Windows driver can.

Though I really don't expect this to effect any games, with the possible exception of something like CS:GO at ultra-high FPS. Anything that effects anything, at that level of FPS, is going to cause a performance penalty. But we have to talk about the X299 platform and if this is going to run into more issues with Mesh rather than Ring Bus, which really just means that Steve at Hardware Unboxed is going to lose a lot of sleep.

Just now, leadeater said:

What's Intel's long term plan? What's Intel's plan been so far ;).

AMD's plan is not any different to Intel's, AMD just doesn't change the name for each iteration unlike Intel so it looks more stagnant.

I don't really feel AMD has something that instills confidence past 2020. Especially when their lead processor architects left. Maybe they have someone brewing up the next big thing, but it's an uncertainty. At least Intel has more or less created a pattern for itself and stuck with it.

But I guess I should stop here before I incur the wrath of people wanting to throw molotovs at me for being an apologetic.

What is the first Intel CPU with PCID support?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't really feel AMD has something that instills confidence past 2020. Especially when their lead processor architects left. Maybe they have someone brewing up the next big thing, but it's an uncertainty. At least Intel has more or less created a pattern for itself and stuck with it.

But I guess I should stop here before I incur the wrath of people wanting to throw molotovs at me for being an apologetic.

well when you are building a cpu from cratch its important that you have the best minds in the business but when you have a good architecture going, all you need is improving it, and because zen is so new its easier to improve