More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

4 minutes ago, Labeled said:

That is why we have 2 step verification systems on just about every thing nowadays though.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Now I dont feel bad for skipping on Intel all the time :P. Ryzen & Llano life FTW

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

14 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

No need for alarm just yet, there always is plenty of exaggeration and drama around this kind of news on release.

Nah, intel is probably filing for bankruptcy as we speak.

I mean every time there's an issue they're doomed, so there's no way they'll manage to survive this one!

xD

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Nah, intel is probably filing for bankruptcy as we speak.

I mean every time there's an issue they're doomed, so there's no way they'll manage to survive this one!

xD

although it isnt that bad for intel, its great to undermine intels "reliability" which might mean more epyc sales for amd

Just now, cj09beira said:

although it isnt that bad for intel, its great to undermine intels "reliability" which might mean more epyc sales for amd

Kudos for caring that much.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

44 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

And here I was hoping 2018 would be a good year. We aernt even three days in and I wake up to this shit. -_- Hopefully the real world daily use performance hit is more like 5% rather than 30%

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

this is insane. wow. 

30% performance hit is *general* or specific to a type of task?

The average performance hit seems to be around 5%. In a lot of cases it is lower than that (for example in Phoronix gaming benchmarks they were all within margin of error). The ~30% numbers people are reporting are specific tests which rely heavily on syscalls, and does not take advantage of PCID. It is basically the worst case scenario. For your average program expect a 0 to 10% performance decrease.

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

edit2: i am super confused now, what does the - and + mean, is it that those lines were removed? 

and the others added?

Yes, the minus means the part was removed, and the plus means it was added.

That is just a pull request though, proposed by AMD. It is not included in the kernel yet.

@DoctorWho1975

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The Problem is not imaginable but at least a Fukushima or Tschernobyl on the desaster scale...

You're overreacting...

9 minutes ago, Eibe said:

The peak was 30%. It usually hovers between 5 and 30%.

Actually, it usually hovers between 0 and 9 percent, not 5 and 30. At least according to this mail thread about KAISER, which I think would protect against exploits based on this security hole. The authors of the actual white paper states an overhead of 0.28%, but that seems too optimistic. It seems like 5% is the average impact, not by any means the smallest.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're overreacting...

I was just citing someone who worked on DOOM and other stuff. And other "Server Guys" who see it in a similar way...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The average performance hit seems to be around 5%. In a lot of cases it is lower than that (for example in Phoronix gaming benchmarks they were all within margin of error). The ~30% numbers people are reporting are specific tests which rely heavily on syscalls, and does not take advantage of PCID. It is basically the worst case scenario. For your average program expect a 0 to 10% performance decrease.

Yes, the minus means the part was removed, and the plus means it was added.

That is just a pull request though, proposed by AMD. It is not included in the kernel yet.

@DoctorWho1975

You're overreacting...

Actually, it usually hovers between 0 and 9 percent, not 5 and 30. At least according to this mail thread about KAISER, which I think would protect against exploits based on this security hole. The authors of the actual white paper states an overhead of 0.28%, but that seems too optimistic. It seems like 5% is the average impact, not by any means the smallest.

hopefully they added it soon, (they probably want to test it themselves first)

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I see. My bad for understanding it incorrectly.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

hopefully they added it soon, (they probably want to test it themselves first)

Yeah, it seems like the Linux devs are on the causious side for now, by applying it to all processors. Then they will figure out if it affects other processors or not.

Also, you read the code correctly. It's just that it was a change request rather than something that had been implemented.

That request will probably be denied though, since, like you said, it applies the fix to all non-AMD processors. It's better to detect and apply the fix to all processors which are affected, rather than apply it to all processors except AMD ones.

Just now, Eibe said:

I see. My bad for understanding it incorrectly.

Not your fault. A lot of news sites are saying the same thing you said. Even the quote in the OP says 5% to 30%.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Is there any evidence Intel knew about this for the last ten years or do we just have the typical armchair experts again pontificating Intel's ineptitude and evilness?

There's no way Intel would have known about this and not fixed it in the numerous iterations of new architecture over the years. However, I do believe the CEO knew about this some weeks/months ago. The stock sales are VERY dubious and should be looked into. How can that be legal?

5 hours ago, porina said:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

Gaming tests (under Linux) don't show any change, so gamers rejoice!

Well is the game is not CPU limited, then you wouldn't see any differences. If it is CPU limited, then you probably will see a difference.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, it seems like the Linux devs are on the causious side for now, by applying it to all processors. Then they will figure out if it affects other processors or not.

Also, you read the code correctly. It's just that it was a change request rather than something that had been implemented.

That request will probably be denied though, since, like you said, it applies the fix to all non-AMD processors. It's better to detect and apply the fix to all processors which are affected, rather than apply it to all processors except AMD ones.

Most of the world runs on it so im not surprised they opted for a solution that is a response to the worst case scenario...

So this happens just as I am about to order my 8700k system.... hmmm. I ll wait for some benchies after the patches and see how this goes. I want ze frames!!!

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Just now, Nicholatian said:

I don't think you understand the magnitude of this exploit, so let's put it in a different way. Taking the mystification of technology out of it for a moment to help break down in layman's terms why it's very very bad for everyone from a security standpoint.

I would very much appreciate if you'd quit the condescending tone when addressing me every time because I am reading the situation from the mainstream end user perspective only.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

From what I understand anything that supports virtualization extensions is affected i.e. VT-x and VT-d

I had mine turn off. So I'm not affected! :o

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I had mine turn off. So I'm protected! :o

lol you wish ;). That's just when the hardware changes were introduced, it's sort of unrelated but an easy way to tell if an Intel CPU might be affected.

15 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Over all the smarter people won't have much to worry about unlike those who think leaving their phones and computers unlocked without passwords and use them for personal stuff and keeping passwords on them for said things.

I leave my home PC unlocked. I don't think that it will ever be a problem for me and if anything I have on my computer is comprimised it will almost definitely be from the inside rather than out. 

As per the article, I'm not freaking out yet because this information seems broad and panicky. I might invest in AMD though just to make a few bucks.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

14 minutes ago, Notional said:

There's no way Intel would have known about this and not fixed it in the numerous iterations of new architecture over the years. However, I do believe the CEO knew about this some weeks/months ago. The stock sales are VERY dubious and should be looked into. How can that be legal?

Hanlon's razor...

It is actually not uncommon for some issues to go unnoticed for many years.

EternalBlue (SMB exploit used by WannaCry and others) was something like 15 years old when it was made public, and it was most likely ~10 years or older when first discovered.

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

With that in mind, I'd be happy to continue the discussion to answer any questions you have or anything you might be confused over, if I know. I'm not a security engineer, but I am a software engineer professionally and have learned a lot about computers, even studying to the level of assembly with ARM CPUs.

What question can you even answer? From what I know, the details of the issue are not public yet. Seems like it's mostly speculation at this point.

NAS's with Intel processors... that's really going to hurt with Synology's recent announcement to be able to host virtual systems on their devices.

I guess now is a good time to run benchmarks so we can all start making comparisons for ourselves after the patch... and find out if a decent overclock helps.

51 minutes ago, Notional said:

Well is the game is not CPU limited, then you wouldn't see any differences. If it is CPU limited, then you probably will see a difference.

Of course we will have to wait for more data, particularly Windows data on more titles than they tested. Still, in that limited testing they did on Linux, most of it was at lower resolutions, and pushing some frames which is one scenario where CPU becomes more influential. There was still no significant difference in those cases.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

NAS's with Intel processors... that's really going to hurt with Synology's recent announcement to be able to host virtual systems on their devices.

I guess now is a good time to run benchmarks so we can all start making comparisons for ourselves after the patch... and find out if a decent overclock helps.

good for qnap because they use ryzen cpus 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

good for qnap because they use ryzen cpus 

Only their newest equipment. Plenty of qnap devices doing virtualization on intel cpus. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 hours ago, Smoofie said:

So, any Americans feel like suing Intel if the loss  in performance is great enough :P? Even though Intel most likely didn't hide this fact, it is still at fault for what's likely some performance drops in cloud services and if I read it right, also for things like Blizzard WoW servers.

Except nothing will come out of it from, as far as we know, the results of a genuine mistake. And if you can successfully sue on the grounds of that... oh boy howdy. I mean nobody sued Intel over the FDIV or F00F bugs. And I don't think anyone sued AMD over Phenom's TLB bug. Besides that, people still have the option to not apply the patches and live with the risks. It's not like Intel said "this processor gets 8000 bungomarks" when it physically cannot.