More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

nope. All OSes supporting Intel x86-64 CPUs are affected.

Only things not affected are any AMD CPUs, ARM CPUs, Power CPUs, or any non Intel CPUs.

Linux is getting an update for its ARM distributions: https://lwn.net/Articles/740393/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

Linux is getting an update for its ARM distributions: https://lwn.net/Articles/740393/

Yeah but it's not necessary for them to. They're doing it now for ARM to avoid any possible scenario like that with ARM. Not because ARM is specifically affected (because only Intel's implementation of x86-64 is affected).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@DoctorWho1975 here is a link to the whitepaper on the changes to the Linux Kernel to prevent this issue: https://gruss.cc/files/kaiser.pdf

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

At the end of the day if this is as bad as it seems, then you can bet your arse they didn't do it on purpose and had they known earlier they would have been looking to fix it before anyone found out. So in all likelihood the very last generation or two would not have the bug.

Given how complex these processors are becoming (which is why it is so hard for new players to enter the game), it is not beyond reason that it was a genuine oversight. Hopefully they find a decent fix soon.   

The only fix it to fall back to OS level checks on every single access to memory, that means every time any prosses needs to read/write to memory your CPU needs to switch tasks back to the kernel to run the check then switch back again... there is no way to patch this on a chip level. 

also, it is unlikely that any intel chips coming out in the next year (or maybe 2) will have fixes either since this is quite a low-level fault and that needs a lead time to fix.

Boy am I glad I just dropped all my cash into an 8700k rig..

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

Interesting, Apparently 10 days ago a Linux proposed a commit targeted at all X86 processors to fix this issue. AMD has since requested to be excluded from the bug patch. But it has not been accepted yet. They erred on the side of caution, but I'm it looks like its going to be a bit before AMD is excluded from the patch in Linux.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/998707-initial-benchmarks-of-the-performance-impact-resulting-from-linux-s-x86-security-changes

Ugh, this is really nasty. Its a good thing that i decided to take the plunge and build my home server with ryzen...

4 hours ago, yian88 said:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

R.I.P Intel  2018.1.3

dayum boi the performance hit is real with current patch, until properly fixed (if ever) this will erode intel's rep and market away quickly

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

Gaming tests (under Linux) don't show any change, so gamers rejoice!

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Only way to save is to throw every Intel computer away and buy AMD.

Yay, more cheap used Intel kit for me :) Ryzen just isn't competitive for my compute uses.

I will await the Windows patch for my own testing. If the performance drop is more than 5%, I will probably be forced to run non-patched OS on the farm, and only have one fully patched system for internet stuffs. On the plus side, no more WindowsUpdate crap to deal with either, which I've already had to take the path of blocking at network level. Performance >> vague potential security risk.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Only things not affected are any AMD CPUs, ARM CPUs, Power CPUs, or any non Intel CPUs.

Still the changes in the Linux kernel effect all x86 processors. So even if AMD processors are going to take the performance hit regardless if they are vulnerable in the first place or not.

43 minutes ago, porina said:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

Gaming tests (under Linux) don't show any change, so gamers rejoice!

Yay, more cheap used Intel kit for me :) Ryzen just isn't competitive for my compute uses.

I will await the Windows patch for my own testing. If the performance drop is more than 5%, I will probably be forced to run non-patched OS on the farm, and only have one fully patched system for internet stuffs. On the plus side, no more WindowsUpdate crap to deal with either, which I've already had to take the path of blocking at network level. Performance >> vague potential security risk.

The code change in the Linux kernel does not make any difference between Intel and AMD processors :(

2 minutes ago, Jinchu said:

The code change in the Linux kernel does not make any difference between Intel and AMD processors :(

Not yet... They already applied for it(someone posted the article already).

3 minutes ago, Jinchu said:

AMD is trying to petition that the fix not affect AMD CPUs. May or may not happen. ARM64 is also getting KAISER implemented regardless of vulnerability. Seems everyone is  playing on the safe side for the time being.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

10 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Any word on what families will be affected, Skylake, etc?

With the way they are behaving and making this Fix OPT OUT with some serious argument, probably everything since Core.

What seems to be the consensus is that everything since Westmere has this bug - but only because that was the oldest thing they could find.

So right now you can not say that Core 2 Duo and Pentium M also does or does not have this issue.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

That still leaves the amount of time after they taped out Kaby Lake(since a Covfefe/Cannon are effectively shrinks of the same architecture with the mesh memory modification) for them to have found out about it. 

but they didn't. 

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

The only fix it to fall back to OS level checks on every single access to memory, that means every time any prosses needs to read/write to memory your CPU needs to switch tasks back to the kernel to run the check then switch back again... there is no way to patch this on a chip level. 

also, it is unlikely that any intel chips coming out in the next year (or maybe 2) will have fixes either since this is quite a low-level fault and that needs a lead time to fix.

For now the only known fix is that. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

57 minutes ago, porina said:

Yeah I am personally not worried one bit, to begin with Microsoft has an absurd higher budget and team to work on fixes that won't hit performance and secondly there is awfully a lot of over reaction by every one in here when we still have no real numbers to compare any thing other than very vague and loosen claims.

This feels like that Hyper-Threading issue we had with Skylake and Kaby Lake processors recently, every one made a hella lot of fuzzle about it said every one should disable Hyper-Threading at once to avoid security exploits and all... what happened afterwards? nothing life move on with all working accordingly.

I won't be worried until more reliable articles with actual data, or even better myself when I come across the first Windows patch test it for myself what are the performance true hits in Coffee Lake and depending if I feel my processor is getting too alike with a Ryzen processor I'll just run the unpatched windows revision, not really all that concern about something that has been there for 10 years and has caused little to no issues till today.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I won't worried until more reliable articles with actual data, or even better myself when I come across the first Windows patch test it for myself what are the performance true hits in Coffee Lake and depending if I feel my processor is getting too alike with a Ryzen processor I'll just run the unpatched windows revision, not really all that concern about something that has been there for 10 years and has caused little to no issues till today.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

anything that hits the kernel will have a big impact, tasks that load all memory into user space then work on it or read large chunks (aka rendering etc) will not have such an impact.

remember the kernel does not only manage the file system it also manages networking so expects to see the same impact on that.

With respect to the impact of the bug, know it is known (as soon the details of how to use it will be widely known) it will be used a lot since getting access to kernel memory means you can do all sorts of fun things like inspecting all (even encrypted) network traffic without any user noticing :)  and you virus just needs to run in user space so no admin passport prompts etc.

>  not really all that concern about something that has been there for 10 years and has caused little to no issues till today.

that is since it was no known.

Again as I have literally just addressed, Linux ain't Windows.

Good practices as I have I hardly think I have what worry myself, gotta get infected somehow first, and I personally haven't had a single malware issue in forever, not making little deal of it but I still see all this story as far too farfetched and exaggerated.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Again as I have literally just addressed, Linux ain't Windows.

Good practices as I have I hardly think I have what worry myself, gotta get infected somehow first, and I personally haven't had a single malware issue in forever, not making little deal of it but I still see all this story as far too farfetched and exaggerated.

You do realize that both Intel and AMD have devs that are paid to strictly work on Linux kernel dev and patches? They also have the same outreach for both Microsoft and Apple. The catch all fix for MS should happen patch tuesday. 

Anything I/O heavy will take a hit in performance.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

19 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

AMD is trying to petition that the fix not affect AMD CPUs. May or may not happen. 

Without being a kernel programmer, I don't know the complexity in having a code split between affected and non-affected CPUs. As much as it sucks for AMD should this be forced, it might be the case the cost of maintaining two codepaths for this has been deemed not worth the effort compared to having a universal solution going forwards. If anyone has a large invested stake in AMD CPUs, they could fork it and regain their performance.

13 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

This feels like that Hyper-Threading issue we had with Skylake and Kaby Lake processors recently, every one made a hella lot of fuzzle about it said every one should disable Hyper-Threading at once to avoid security exploits and all... what happened afterwards? nothing life move on with all working accordingly.

From memory, that was more a stability issue than a security one. Fortunately the conditions for it were rare enough I doubt anyone outside those doing exactly the same thing as those discovering it were affected. Similarly, there was a Ryzen bug also discovered when doing certain compile actions, that got fixed after a certain manufacturing date. I have two Ryzens, both of which were bought at launch and thus would also be affected. Am I bothered? No. Rumour has it AMD will replace on demand affected CPUs, but I don't see it as worth the time.

The difference here is that it is a security bug. Exploits may be developed to take advantage of it now it is widely known. If enough systems get patched, maybe that will devalue the exploit enough they do not become commonplace. It may also be a risk that exploits are combined, for example, the recent ME bugs may remain unpatched in a significant proportion of systems due to requiring flashing, and allow access below OS level to work around OS level patching. A big if, but not impossible for a sufficiently motivated attacker (e.g. state sponsored). Then again, you'd have to be a sufficiently interesting target for it, in which case this is probably not your biggest problem.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

Without being a kernel programmer, I don't know the complexity in having a code split between affected and non-affected CPUs. As much as it sucks for AMD should this be forced, it might be the case the cost of maintaining two codepaths for this has been deemed not worth the effort compared to having a universal solution going forwards. If anyone has a large invested stake in AMD CPUs, they could fork it and regain their performance.

Actually, it's already possible to avoid PTI on AMD CPUs. It can be forced turned off with a kernel flag at bootup. An AMD dev is waiting for merge of kernel code to not force PTI on AMD CPUs. It's a simple logical operator that checks if the CPU is Intel or AMD. Kinda Ironic that someone from Intel (Dave Hansen) has to approve the merge request xD

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

So, any Americans feel like suing Intel if the loss  in performance is great enough :P? Even though Intel most likely didn't hide this fact, it is still at fault for what's likely some performance drops in cloud services and if I read it right, also for things like Blizzard WoW servers.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

It's not difficult. They just need to check the CPU ID and then set some flags depending on the ID. They already do it with several things such as how to handle SMT in Ryzen, and I believe the modules in Bulldozer.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-EPYC-Linux-4.15-Test

Right now with the big mysterious security vulnerability causing the rush of the x86 Page Table Isolation work that landed in the Linux kernel days ago, it's believed to be a problem only affecting Intel CPUs. But at least for now the mainline kernel is still treating AMD CPUs as "insecure" and is too taking a performance hit.

An immediate workaround at least until the AMD patch lands where PTI isn't applied to AMD CPUs is by booting the kernel with the nopti kernel command-line parameter. This can also be applied to Intel systems too on a patched kernel if wanting to regain the performance and are not too concerned about this vulnerability.

If Intel lobbies for AMD CPUs getting the same „fix“ I‘m gonna shove my X99 mobo up Krzanichs butt. ?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12