Find results in...
DoctorWho1975

More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

Message added by W-L

6 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Intel shills are just as toxic as AMD shills, because they mystify the facts of the matter like it's partisan politics all of a sudden. Knowledge about the technicals, for better or worse, is only going to help everyone her

I just got annoyed when he tried to counter something I said with an article that countered what he said with in it ,contradictions simply piss me off

5 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

but they havent tested any variety of games across NVIDIA GPUs(you know if you read the source you are claiming as fact), so far a vega card was tested and because of how AMD since GCN 1.1 have had a hardware scheduler, it makes sense that there wouldnt be a change

YOUR THE PERSON WHO POSTED THE LINK AS FACT!!!!

It's like you fail to realize the info I posted came from something you used as evidence in your post, we might as well throw the source in the garbage since clearly it's unreliable (which was what I was alluding to from the beginning)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Ok my main question would have to be: What about Windows 7 users?
Remember how Microsoft will not be issuing updates (including security updates) for machines running Ryzen, and Kabylake CPUs?

They have to make this an exception... right?

43 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That doesn't make any sense given the issue they can't patch it a kernal patch or numerous software patches by third parties would be required to fix said issue given how this can be program to program or kernal to memory

And given their claim that they were unaffected by the kernal issue there is nothing they could even provide input on to fix

The specific issue that affects Intel CPU's and requires the level of intervention that you mention, doesn't affect AMD CPUs. Of the other two vulnerabilities, one also doesn't affect AMD CPU's and the other is fixable by a software patch. At least according to AMD. The outlying issue seems to be that of the Bypass vulnerability, which I understand only has been found to affect AMD Pro and FX CPU's. Of course that can change, so this is a moving target at the moment, at least as far as most of us are concerned.

Just now, Sypran said:

Ok my main question would have to be: What about Windows 7 users?
Remember how Microsoft will not be issuing updates (including security updates) for machines running Ryzen, and Kabylake CPUs?

They have to make this an exception... right?

Microsoft are releasing an update next Tuesday for Windows 7 users.

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

You would think I'm acting like a know-it-all for how repulsed the replies are, Christ... I'm not claiming to have personally engineered the city sewage network, but I'm enough of a plumber to have a thing or two to say when a water main breaks. It's anything but black-and-white.

No, I'm saying that I think that you know what you are talking about and aren't emulating it. 

I think you somehow misunderstood me...

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

All I'm saying is that based on the info presented to counter my point isn't directly related to what I'm saying and actually concludes differently than what said counter point was, essentially invalidating the argument unless new credible evidence is shown.

You don't know that. Depends on the Game.

Every communication between userspace and Kernelspace now cost really performance.

Ins ome games that do load textures on the fly that could cause Problems/Lags/Stutter...

And some games even read stuff from the Storage, loading some stuff of the Level...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I just got annoyed when he tried to counter something I said with an article that countered what he said with in it ,contradictions simply piss me off

YOUR THE PERSON WHO POSTED THE LINK AS FACT!!!!

It's like you fail to realize the info I posted came from something you used as evidence in your post, we might as well throw then source in the garbage since clearly it's unreliable (which was what I was alluding to from the beginning)

YOU didnt read that article as i did, i NEVER CLAIMED nvidia and intel will performs better after this patch, unlike yourself

i used their source because it shows a I/O reduction which will DIRECTLY AFFECT HOW WELL NVIDIA'S DRAW CALLS ARE GONNA BE ON INTEL

again if you were educated you wouldn't be alluding to anything other than wait(which is what i have been saying for the last 3 posts), you couldnt even spend 5 seconds to click the article and see what GPU was tested before claiming that there is no performance loss in gaming, want to talk contradictions just read your posts and see

Just now, johnukguy said:

Yeah, but remember that windows update is blocked for those CPUs? https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/new-processors-are-now-blocked-from-receiving-updates-on-old-windows/
So is it for this one update going to be the exception?

Just now, Sypran said:

Yeah, but remember that windows update is blocked for those CPUs? https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/new-processors-are-now-blocked-from-receiving-updates-on-old-windows/

They'll just force it through as it's a critical security patch

3 minutes ago, Sypran said:

As SC2Mitch mentioned, this one is going out regardless. Also, Windows 7 users can still get updates. All you need to do is make sure that you have the patch that allows this for Ryzen.

8 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

YOU didnt read that article as i did, i NEVER CLAIMED nvidia and intel will performs better after this patch, unlike yourself

i used their source because it shows a I/O reduction which will DIRECTLY AFFECT HOW WELL NVIDIA'S DRAW CALLS ARE GONNA BE ON INTEL

You seem to misunderstand my issue with you it has nothing to do with your latter points about the draw calls and simply has to do with posting unreliable information as if it proved something, nothing else, and my post about AMD + Nvidia not working well to together had nothing to do with the patch itself, AMD's hardware doesn't play nice with Nvidia's GPUs in general especially in the hitching and lag department due to extremely low 1% and .1% fps values and frame time issues

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You don't know that. Depends on the Game.

I was simply trying to point out the info provided in a link did not support arguments being presented, and that it seemed unreliable, but if the info were true then games would be completely unaffected

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

22 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, I'm saying that I think that you know what you are talking about and aren't emulating it. 

I think you somehow misunderstood me...

It was a rhetorical statement. I understand where you're coming from, but I said "you would think I'm acting like a know-it-all" if all you had to go on was their responses on things, that was the rhetoric.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒ACTIVE】AMENEMHET (Lenovo ThinkPad X240)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒BROKEN】SENUSRET II (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【RETIRED】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【RETIRED】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

50 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

The patch is already out for Windows 7 and 8.1. It'll show up in Windows Update next Tuesday, but if you want to patch it now you have to manually do it. The download links for the patches are here, in Microsoft's Update Catalog.

Individual Download Links:

Windows 7 (KB4056897)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897

Windows 8.1 (KB4056898)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056898

Windows 10 1507 (KB4056893)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056893

Windows 10 1511 (KB4056888)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056888

Windows 10 1607 (KB4056890)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056890

Windows 10 1703 (KB4056891)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056891

Windows 10 1709 (KB4056892)

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056892

32 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

5a4dbbfa0f47f_ScreenShot2018-01-04at1_29_30PM.thumb.png.ac6074693c2588f273c14ffd5b9beb7a.png

Yep, some say the moon landing was a hoax and the earth is flat.  Give us some actual information to go off rather than just hearsay.  we all know the CEO sold his shares, given Intel's shares have gone up since then I don't think anyone can claim insider trading. 

EDIT: totally directed at hardware unboxed, not you MrChow. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

3 minutes ago, realsmart987 said:

I thought this bug was already covered back in May 2017 on the WAN show.  Is this a separate bug or are they just now deploying a fix for the May 2017 bug?

different bug.  Pretty sure the one back in may was about the ME exploit.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Yeah, that's fallacious buddy. I know you didn't explicitly say it, but an argument from ignorance is no grounds to assume anything one way or the other. In the realm of that which is known, AMD is, for the moment, more secure than Intel.

Security doesn't really care about what's known other than it's known. They want to know what's unknown so they poke at it, characterize, figure out how to make it known.

In this case, sure, there's a security flaw with Intel's processors. But now it's characterized and known. It also has a mitigation to defeat it, making it a gamble for an attacker to be successful or not, depending of it the system was patched. But if an attacker exploits something publicly unknown, then you have no way of defending against it. You may as well effectively have a 100% chance at pwning any given system.

AMD's processors are not more secure simply because they don't have as many known vulnerabilities as Intel. Unless you can test for every possible outcome, there is effectively an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in either, and from a security perspective knowing what those vulnerabilities are, characterizing them, and having ways to mitigate an attack's effectiveness is better than not knowing what your vulnerabilities are.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

You seem to misunderstand my issue with you it has nothing to do with your latter points about the draw calls and simply has to do with posting unreliable information as if it proved something, nothing else, and my post about AMD + Nvidia not working well to together had nothing to do with the patch itself, AMD's hardware doesn't play nice with Nvidia's GPUs in general especially in the hitching and lag department due to extremely low 1% and .1% fps values and frame time issues

Sometimes it's best to let fear-mongers have their little podium and ignore it, just remember go back and quote it with "I told you so" ;).

There's already enough information available to have an accurate, not definitive, indication of the performance impact for games which is very small. There has already been tests done on Windows using Nvidia GPU showing marginal difference and there has been a number of synthetic tests including FireStrike which shows the same. Also that draw call stuff is a total red herring, that's not how graphics drivers and APIs interact with the operating system they are not system calls, if they were then rendering would be THE most effected and it isn't.

The people working on the kernel patches for Linux have already given information on actual performance tests done and given clear advice on what to expect and indicated the types of workloads most effected, if you're not a server operator then the sky is not falling. Getting damn sick of that 30% figure being thrown around, how many times do we have to say that was a specific worst case scenario done on purpose to find out what the worst resulted in.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Security doesn't really care about what's known other than it's known. They want to know what's unknown so they poke at it, characterize, figure out how to make it known.

In this case, sure, there's a security flaw with Intel's processors. But now it's characterized and known. It also has a mitigation to defeat it, making it a gamble for an attacker to be successful or not, depending of it the system was patched. But if an attacker exploits something publicly unknown, then you have no way of defending against it. You may as well effectively have a 100% chance at pwning any given system.

AMD's processors are not more secure simply because they don't have as many known vulnerabilities as Intel. Unless you can test for every possible outcome, there is effectively an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in either, and from a security perspective knowing what those vulnerabilities are, characterizing them, and having ways to mitigate an attack's effectiveness is better than not knowing what your vulnerabilities are.

When that logic shows to be practical, do let us know. For now though it's little more than smoke-and-mirrors, and that really doesn't help anyone with a real CPU that's really insecure, when they need to do real things in real time.

There's theoretically an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in AMD CPUs, Intel CPUs, and even VIA and ARM CPUs for that matter. Theoretically there's also an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in the operating procedures of the Secret Service, whose duties are to protect the President, but they've realised that it's impossible to make the President completely safe. Since you've effectively proved nothing here, it's unsurprising to find that they've taken other measures to protect one of the most powerful people on the planet.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

The researchers discovered that the vulnerabilities affect many CPUs, including those from Intel, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and ARM Holdings, as well as the devices and operating systems running on it.

This is taken from RT.com - https://www.rt.com/usa/414955-intel-processors-meltdown-spectre/ 

according to a tweet reported on RT -  There is an apparent fix out for it for windows machines https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892 

So...I did good going AMD this gen? lol

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: FD Meshify C Mini || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Scythe Choten TUF edition || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

When that logic shows to be practical, do let us know. For now though it's little more than smoke-and-mirrors, and that really doesn't help anyone with a real CPU that's really insecure, when they need to do real things in real time.

There's theoretically an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in AMD CPUs, Intel CPUs, and even VIA and ARM CPUs for that matter. Theoretically there's also an indefinite number of vulnerabilities in the operating procedures of the Secret Service, whose duties are to protect the President, but they've realised that it's impossible to make the President completely safe. Since you've effectively proved nothing here, it's unsurprising to find that they've taken other measures to protect one of the most powerful people on the planet.

I wouldn't call it smoke and mirrors,  There are literally thousands of people (who know what they are doing) looking for bugs/vulnerabilities in everything.  Knowing this exploit exists and having it patched means it is no longer a threat, however all those currently unknown vulnerabilities are still a threat (it only ceases to be a threat when the appropriate companies can patch it).

Whether we like it or not, tech has gotten so advanced and so complex that there is going to be threats, bugs and open exploits in everything.  The race is for the good guys to find and patch it before the bad guys find and exploit it.   You get to decide who the good and bad guys are.

This idea that one product is safer/more secure than another is false concept based on a misunderstanding. 

Just now, mr moose said:

I wouldn't call it smoke and mirrors,  There are literally thousands of people (who know what they are doing) looking for bugs/vulnerabilities in everything.  Knowing this exploit exists and having it patched means it is no longer a threat, however all those currently unknown vulnerabilities are still a threat (it only ceases to be a threat when the appropriate companies can patch it).

Whether we like it or not, tech has gotten so advanced and so complex that there is going to be threats, bugs and open exploits in everything.  The race is for the good guys to find and patch it before the bad guys find and exploit it.   You get to decide who the good and bad guys are.

This idea that one product is safer/more secure than another is false concept based on a misunderstanding. 

This is the unfortunate truth of security in a world where nobody actually knows how everything in your 5-year-old netbook actually works, and all we can really do is activate it's built-in team of automatic doctors to try and fix it.

The way I see it though, getting swept away in technology makes it easier and easier to forget the human factor and its implications. At the end of the day, if someone really wanted to target you personally, there will never be enough RSA encryption or quantum magic to stop them from getting your data, by the simple fact that if they break down your barriers as a person then they have all the access they want. Nothing will ever be perfectly secure in practise because of that, and in a more positive way it provides more useful answers to questions of security than we could get from a technical standpoint.

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

【RETIRED】TYRE