2017 Thinkpad vs.1997 Thinkpad – 25 Anniversary Edition Review

How does the Thinkpad 25th anniversary edition compare to the Thinkpads of old?  We resurrect a 20 year old one to find out.

Try Tunnelbear for free, no credit card required, at https://www.tunnelbear.com/LTT

Check out Sennheiser's PXC 550 Wireless headphones here: http://geni.us/8XQb

New VS Old! I loved the old beeping, you pressed too many keys. :)

Ohh gonna watch this later, I have heard that rebrand was rather disappointing would like to see Linus team insight.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I might not be a mathematician but I do know for a fact 1997 and 2017 is 100% not 25 years, it's only 20 years.

*I have not watched it yet.

Does lenovo really think the keyboard justifies the price tag?

I need a cheap as they can get version with a 1080p IPS display and raven ridge APU ASAP.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I think it is possible to swap the function and control keys in the bios.

Finally, the video I was curious about. I hope someone at Lenovo got the idea why people love the ThinkPads and the classic keyboard. with the Trackpoint. From my feeling the trackpad could also profit from additional mouse buttons below to further decrease size and improve palm rejection clearance. Honestly 3" diagonal for a trackpad is large enough. But what I miss most is the 16:10 AR screen which turned out to be the first choice during the past polls in the R&D phase of that project. Instead of *yawn* FullHD they could also have gone to WQHD (2560x1400) if they had to use the horrid 16:9 AR. This would certainly make it a machine for 2017 instead of a machine of 2014 (as in T450).

Because ThinkPads are also well known as good devices for Linux, the next step would be to ditch Windows 10 and finally install a proper operating system on that machine.

Can we now hope for a review of Dell Latitudes and Precisions or more Lenovo ThinkPad T and P series?

As of me the "AE" is just garbage. I had my hands on it, the keyboard is the same lame one from x230 era, the same with touchpad. At max it have 1080p screen with like ~2379€ price ? No thanks. The only way it connects to old ones is by colorfull logo and that's all of connections, it's still garbage T470. Louis Rossmann did a good video on it 

@Tankers I also thought about linking that video. I hope that Lenovo leared from that and will bring better devices with their upcoming Tx80 series at CES 2018.

By the way: I still love my Dell Latitude D830 which will turn 10 this year. The newer Latitudes have worse screens and keyboards than my machine. Although I would love to have a middle button for my PointingStick. 

But the most intersting topic Linus forgot to mention: Bottom side docking port on the T25 for a proper docking station. There is nothing better than just smash your notebook on a docking station and use your favorite displays and input devices connected to it without ever having to touch any cable at all. The notebook itself can then just rest in the station without need to open the display lid.

I checked through the description and YouTube comments (and maybe I now need a shower), and I tried a few recognition apps, but no luck so far - can someone perhaps share info on what the cello/piano piece was, from the intro?

It sounds a lot like the Batman medley by Danny Elfman, but none of the recent Batman (2002+) movie soundtracks I've browsed through featured any part of the same piece. I could have missed it, too.

Beyond that, it seems surprising that LTT can put up a video with motion picture soundtrack piece anyway, with Content ID (and takedowns) running amok nowadays, so it could be a coincidence too.

Still only has Lenovo support so you better buy two xD

On 1/2/2018 at 1:00 PM, Egg-Roll said:

I might not be a mathematician but I do know for a fact 1997 and 2017 is 100% not 25 years, it's only 20 years.

*I have not watched it yet.

The original ThinkPad laptop was released in 1992, so I'm not sure where you're getting 1997 from... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

While I wouldn't give up my Dell XPS 15 for the new ThinkPad, I do love the build quality and proper design implemented on most of Lenovo's business products. A proper productivity machine should include all the ports and functionality you need to get the job done, so kudos to Lenovo for doing something that Apple, LG, and even ASUS haven't been able to do in the last few years with their ultraportable laptops: including a mix of full size USB 3.0 Type A ports, a Thunderbolt 3 / USB C 3.1 port, headphone/mic combo jack, AND the most important for photo enthusiasts, a full size SD card slot. My only complaint about the laptop is not using USB C for charging, since, I mean, if it's supposed to be the new standard, I kind of expect manufacturers to be the ones pushing its' use.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

The original ThinkPad laptop was released in 1992, so I'm not sure where you're getting 1997 from... 

The video's title :P

Based on the title reading it real fast and/or knowing nothing about ThinkPad one could simply think that's not 25 years, its 20 years.

Even tho they were reviewing the 25th anniversary edition they were not reviewing the 25 years gap they were only comparing 20 years. It was being brought up even more so on youtube, I figured what they were doing before i posted it and before I watched the video. I'm actually amazed they got a 20 yr old laptop...

A better video title would of been "25th Anniversary Edition ThinkPad - How does it add up with it's siblings" Or something like that. How the title is now makes them look like this:

42615083-4646-41d1-9d3b-6cab523c35ef.png

Because you can look at the title in 2 ways:

1. They can't do math
  2. They are comparing a 1997 ThinkPad with a 2017 ThinkPad

My post was based on the 1st but i figured it was the second.

Edit: I own that t-shirt, and yes I've walked into work with it on.

6 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

The video's title :P

Duly noted, I totally missed that. Your comment makes sense then. I think too the title could be a bit better.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Please tell me, what is that track at the beginning :x

CPU: i5-4670k / MOBO: Asrock z87 Extreme4 / RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 Hyper-X 1600MHz / GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB Twin Frozr III / PSU: Chieftec GPS 500AB A 500W / AUDIO: Creative Aurvana Live! + Asus Xonar DX / CASE: Tracer TRO-585

On 1/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, visitor2015 said:

Because ThinkPads are also well known as good devices for Linux, the next step would be to ditch Windows 10 and finally install a proper operating system on that machine.

Can we now hope for a review of Dell Latitudes and Precisions or more Lenovo ThinkPad T and P series?

Indeed. My main interest in this video, and in ThinkPads is for using Lubuntu or a similar low-spec distribution so that I can pull every last cycle from pushing the DE to, y'know, programs rather than a Windows 10 installation I don't need. Not like I can't run any windows executables through WINE if I can't find a native alternative. I wouldn't want myself to get distracted by any games other than Klotski & Chess anyways, so there's not much use for Windows on a productivity laptop.

However, given the unjustifiable price for my own needs (forums, streaming video, and word processing) I'd be interested in more critical review of this market. How are the Dell Precisions?

During the course of my professional life, the companies I've worked for have exclusively used Thinkpads and a Dell Latitude in one company. We're not stupid. We know full well that these machines are worth far more less than the sum of their parts. I remember the Thinkpad when they were still made by IBM. They were clunky, heavy, boring matte black, but hold one and you'll feel like they could stop a bullet, You walk into a client meeting and it commands attention. It gives you instant credibility whether you deserve or not. The  IBM badge means a pedigree anchored on reliability, innovation, and quality. 

But that's in the past. The laptops that Lenovo are currently churning out are a far cry from the Thinkpads I remember. Reliability and quality were the first to go. It's not unusual for us to see components fail within the first few months because there's always something that goes wrong with each iteration. Lenovo took an icon and demolished everything special about it. Thinkpads today are simply on the same league with everything else.

Which makes me wonder, if the Thinkpad branding is removed, would the laptop sell on Lenovo's name alone?            

2 words, Louis Rossman 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!