Unscientific opinion gathering: Do you consider TF2 an esport title

1re

Do you consider tf2 an esport title  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider tf2 an esport title

• Yes
    • no
    • other/abstain

I'm biased here, I don't claim to be a pro but i have been following the scene, as well as csgo for a couple of years now and was wondering how we as tf2 competitive, are seen by mainstream esports.

Some background if you're not familiar.

• TF2 comp scene has been around in one state or another since the release of the game 10 years ago.

• The main competitive leauges are

• NA

• ESEA Invite

• UGC 6s (generally less serious)

• EU/UK

• ETF2L

• AUS

• OZFORTRESS

Lan highlights are

• Insomnia events (when NA/AUS teams are able to attend)

• ESA Rewind

• Gamers Assembly

• DreamHack Winter/Summer

Coverage is mainly on teamfortress.tv

I'm just curious as to what others think.

thanks for your time, ire

Does it have at least a semi pro league? Then yes. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Does it have at least a semi pro league? Then yes. 

Yes, ESEA invite/ETF2L is our main leauges

10 minutes ago, 1re said:

Yes, ESEA invite/ETF2L is our main leauges

Then I consider it an esport

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Since by definition, esports is a competition between professional players using video games for a certain prize, then yes. 

It is eSports game. While it's scene has died and many top pros have gone to bigger coverage and tournaments (Overwatch), it's still eSports title same way some other smaller games are.

It's all Valve's fault that TF2 is so small and OW rules. They had active community to work with, but choose quick money with crates and hats instead. By the time Dota and LoL crafted working balance between money flow and how community is taken care of, TF2 had already vanished from top leagues and tournaments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

as everything: it depends..

Some of the older maps are very balanced and given some item/weapons limitation it can be considered "level ground" ie: very few variables in play and only player skill, map awareness and strategy will result in a win.

I also think it's a bit easier to grasp the mechanics and gameplay for non-gamers, while Overwatch is a continue Nerf-Buff that doesn't create a solid building block for teams (imagine playing chess where they change the piece moveset every year.. )

for me an e-sports HAS to be "Locked" in a state, where no more fixing is allowed (unless exploits are found out, like that time on CS they jumped on eachothers for sniping accross the map lol)  so that even if there is a "Meta" it still going to depend on skill and strategy rather than luck (like for some card games or PUBG)

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

• 6 months later...

i think it could have been an esport game but it has been to long and i think the competitive scene isnt there

Welp, the thread's revived, so I might as well give some input.

For leagues really pressed hard by the developers, no, it wouldn't be an eSport.

But as for leagues that are officially recognized (ETF2L, for example, there's even Genuine quality badges for that alongside a number of other comp leagues for, at the very least, participation usually), then I would. It's just not one heavily pressed by Valve, because, as it is, CS and Dota rakes in significantly more money and viewership in that realm than TF does. I'd argue it's more of an orgainzed eSport game than Overwatch is, especially considering how people who usually come out of leagues are either gods at one class or are great at others usually played in the leagues. Usually, it's Scout, Soldier or Sniper, but I digress. It encourages using more classes more than OW comp could, I guess.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

probably because I replied

Thats why I'm here