Need help coming up with ideas for a Senior Project course

HunterAP
Go to solution Solved by HunterAP,
On 1/13/2018 at 9:15 PM, fpo said:

5000 limit, or 5000 at least? 

Also for your game-No... You have no game making experience. You are wayyyy to ambitious. For a cumulative 5k lines of code for a game you should really have some work under your belt designing games before you blow all your time making nothing. 

I've been doing what I can to start the creation of the game, and even though I do have experience in coding and using blueprints in Unreal Engine, I know that this project idea I have would be too hard to do with all the other course work I have, and because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to things I'm passionate about, I definitely won't get it to where I want in time.

That being said, I've been thinking of switching my idea to something automation related, like a program that can do multiple things for you than doing those things by hand, although I'm not sure what I want to try to automate.

On 06/01/2018 at 8:18 AM, HunterAP said:

So I've decided on making a game in Unreal Engine 4, based on multiple RPG's and following a Dark Souls + For Honor combat system. The combat alone should be a lot of code, so this should work, and I'm passionate enough about this idea that I know I'll work well on it. If worse comes to worst, I'll do something that was suggested here instead. Thanks everybody!

You might want to make a separate thread to ask for help on this, I'm not the most experienced ffmpeg user out there.

remember to mark as solved.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 2 weeks later...

Whichever professor came up with a line limit as a "requirement" is an idiot. If you're struggling to fill up space, just use Java and write a crap ton of DTOs.

There's a reason for concepts like generics, partial application, currying, etc exist: to write less code!

2 hours ago, nuc said:

Whichever professor came up with a line limit as a "requirement" is an idiot. If you're struggling to fill up space, just use Java and write a crap ton of DTOs.

There's a reason for concepts like generics, partial application, currying, etc exist: to write less code!

I think it’s just a random number to say “it has to require at least some work.” 

7 hours ago, nuc said:

More specifically, the professor is saying the line requirement as "4000 lines of your own code", meaning you can't just make a small program that utilizes a bunch of 3rd party libraries. Since the program has to be object oriented, you do need to design your own classes, which in itself could take quite a few lines of code, and this also means that you actually have to put in your own work to make something from scratch (which in this day and age doesn't really happen often, but it's still considered a "valuable skill" to have in computer science).

Also the main point of the project is to show that you can come up with an idea as well as implement it, so when you graduate this program can be used to show what kind of work you like doing, have experience in, and are passionate about.

6 hours ago, HunterAP said:

More specifically, the professor is saying the line requirement as "4000 lines of your own code", meaning you can't just make a small program that utilizes a bunch of 3rd party libraries. Since the program has to be object oriented, you do need to design your own classes, which in itself could take quite a few lines of code, and this also means that you actually have to put in your own work to make something from scratch (which in this day and age doesn't really happen often, but it's still considered a "valuable skill" to have in computer science).

Also the main point of the project is to show that you can come up with an idea as well as implement it, so when you graduate this program can be used to show what kind of work you like doing, have experience in, and are passionate about.

I understand why the limit is enforced, but more lines does not equal better or more complete - it's likely that most students will just produce fillers, and the projects will be worse for it. He could've just listed, no 3rd party libraries, or similar. Even having a feature requirement is a terrible idea - that would prevent me from writing a single purpose application, regardless of passion.

7 hours ago, HunterAP said:

meaning you can't just make a small program that utilizes a bunch of 3rd party libraries. Since the program has to be object oriented

This makes me wonder, if you can't use libraries then you need to implement everything yourself, let's consider WinApi and Winsock, would they be considered as "3rd party libraries"?

He does allow you to use 3rd party libriaries, including WinAPI and WinSock, but the idea is that you shouldn't just import other people's library and write a 100 line handler that combines them together.

The line limit is to show that YOU can code something large on your own that is relatively feature-rich and works properly.

@HunterAP I don’t think he’s going to change his mind.