Could nVidia sue Linus for using Geforce cards because of the EULA changes?

MrMatson

I just read this news about nVidia prohibiting the use of GeForce GPUs in datacenter use.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-eula-prohibits-datacenter-blockchain-allowed/

Linus doesn't run a datacenter but is it personal use to have PCs built to earn money for the company using GeForce cards?

Just a thought crossing my mind. Could someone clarify?

Kim Jong Un could nuke us all. Same with Trump. Will they? No. Cause it's a dumb decision.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Kim Jong Un could nuke us all. Same with Trump. Will they? No. Cause it's a dumb decision.

Not so sure about Kim Jong Un or Trump.  They are both loose cannons. xD  But yes, it would be a dumb decision on Nvidia's part.  Linus probably brings them a lot of business with his reviews.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, MrMatson said:

I just read this news about nVidia prohibiting the use of GeForce GPUs in datacenter use.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-eula-prohibits-datacenter-blockchain-allowed/

Linus doesn't run a datacenter but is it personal use to have PCs built to earn money for the company using GeForce cards?

He was using cards to mine as an experiment briefly, that isn't what Nvidia was trying to stop. Besides, this change doesn't mean Nvidia will sue anyone using a Geforce card in a datacenter, it just means they won't offer them any support or warranty services if they use them that way.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

He builds them for personal use, but him gaining money is a consequence, so he should be fine... I hope xD

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, Xirhanna said:

Not so sure about Kim Jong Un or Trump.  They are both loose cannons. xD  But yes, it would be a dumb decision on Nvidia's part.  Linus probably brings them a lot of business with his reviews.

Well, I was gonna say hopefully not, but that would weaken my arguement :) 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

He was using cards to mine as an experiment briefly, that isn't what Nvidia was trying to stop. Besides, this change doesn't mean Nvidia will sue anyone using a Geforce card in a datacenter, it just means they won't offer them any support or warranty services if they use them that way.

To add:

And it also means that if you call eVGA or Gigabyte or ASUS, or whatever and say  ''Yea, my GeForce from you guys in my data center stop working, it's under warranty", they can go "Sorry sir/mam, you voided your warranty as we can't replace it even if we wanted to, as Nvidia won't give us a replacement GPU"

It's WCCF tech, so take it with a grain of salt. Article without source or any external links has got no value.

1 minute ago, milanfon said:

It's WCCF tech, so take it with a grain of salt. Article without source or any external links has got no value.

It's a widely reported fact, not just WCCF.

https://www.techpowerup.com/239994/nvidia-forbids-geforce-driver-deployment-in-data-centers

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/27/nvidia-limits-data-center-uses-for-geforce-titan-gpus.html

It would be impossible to get sued for such a thing. They cannot control what companies purchase nor how they use their products. HOWEVER they can 'stop support' and void warranties to do so, basically meaning Nvidia is saying, IF these cards are used in a data center they have no warranty and no support from Nvidia if any issues either software,hardware or anything else should arise. 

49 minutes ago, MrMatson said:

you answered your own question. He doesn't run a data center so there is no issue with his use. Nvidia would be crazy to say that you can only use their products non commercially when commercial clients are literally their largest money maker. Also, it is extremely unlikely that nvidia would file a lawsuit against anyone who actually does deploy geforce drivers in a data-center. More than likely the updated eula is just there to say "we dont support this, so dont expect help if you have problems"

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If Nvidia is dumb enough to actually sue someone for this, they will just find out that people will be abandoning them and switch to AMD or other alternatives. Nobody will risk getting sued for using something that they bought in a way that the company doesn't want you to.

Beside, it's just a EULA. Actual laws overrule it any day. Consumer protection laws could easily bypass this kind of stupidity.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 hours ago, MrMatson said:

nVidia provided most of those cards knowing full well what would happen to them, so I think they don't mind.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The article is somewhat sensationalist.

Believe it or not gpus screw up a lot due to random noise, heat or jesus for all I know.  

While geforce and tesla essentially have the same engine under the hood, "bit errors" are handled differently.  There is a tradeoff between data integrity and speed.  Geforce and Tesla are on opposite ends of that spectrum.  Teslas have slower clocks and more hardware designed to handle errors, whereas geforce may have less and focus more power on raw performance.

I think nvidia is implying geforce doesnt have the bit integrity of Tesla and doesnt want responsibility for data corruption or system malfunction as a result of bit errors that would normally not be a big deal with gpus calculating graphics.

@MrMatson I don't think most company would sue over the EULA unless it significantly financially harms them in some way. If you use the product outside of the EULA terms, then all that means is the company won't support you.

This quote pretty much sums up what NVIDIA would do.

4 hours ago, xentropa said:

I think nvidia is implying geforce doesnt have the bit integrity of Tesla and doesnt want responsibility for data corruption or system malfunction as a result of bit errors that would normally not be a big deal with gpus calculating graphics.

If you want to run your system critical operations using hardware that was not designed or tested to run in those conditions, that's all on you. I recall an anecdotal experience from a user in ArsTechnica saying how they thought they could save money buy buying a bunch of GeForce GTX 780 Ti's along with some Quadros instead of buying all Quadros. They reported having more downtime on the consumer cards due to errors and whatnot because the 780 isn't built for whatever workload that user was doing.

I'm sure NVIDIA doesn't want to deal with calls from people cheaping out and getting angry when they're told "you're using it wrong"