CHEAP Korean 144Hz Gaming Monitor - Classic Unboxing

On 12/31/2017 at 2:49 AM, Most909 said:

Sadly it doesnt ship to EU.

But I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Crossover-27-FAST-144-FreeSync-Zero-WQHD-2560x1440-Monitor-Remote-/332252189182?hash=item4d5bc611fe

Seems like the same product but with global shipping.

It costs 100$ more, but oh well.

Can someone confirm that its the same?

It does ship to the EU but Dream-Seller has different listings for the EU/UK and the US. Don't get it on Amazon. Get it on Ebay. These monitors sell out quickly so wait for Dream-Seller to get more stock in and lower the price.

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

I buy several Qnix/Crossover monitors from Dream-Seller on Ebay every year. I have only ever had one with one dead pixel and that was off to the far right and isn't visible unless I actively hunt for it. The perfect pixel monitors, in my experience, were just that. I have also never had a problem with backlight bleed on any of these panels. Some have of course, but no more than with any other brand. Stuck pixels by the way can sometimes be fixed using an online utility, as can backlight bleed by tightening or loosening the bezel. There are instructions on what to do on the Crossover/Qnix owners club threads at places like overclock.net.

Hm...I guess I might have to send mine back or something then if I got unlucky enough to have multiple dead pixels. Tried the simple fixes for stuck pixels but doesn't seem to be working so they are probably just dead. They aren't super noticeable unless you are on a dark screen but they are so close to the center you can occasionally catch one while doing stuff (Really noticeable while browsing on websites with black backgrounds).

5 hours ago, BakaWolf said:

Hm...I guess I might have to send mine back or something then if I got unlucky enough to have multiple dead pixels. Tried the simple fixes for stuck pixels but doesn't seem to be working so they are probably just dead. They aren't super noticeable unless you are on a dark screen but they are so close to the center you can occasionally catch one while doing stuff (Really noticeable while browsing on websites with black backgrounds).

If those stuck/dead pixels are close to the center then I'd definitely contact Dream-Seller for a return.That's not worth putting up with.

Has anyone found any for $ 300 with global shipping? I live in Brazil and this place is a blind spot, but with luck,  I can buy and my government rob me of only 200% of the value in taxes before they deliver

On 1/7/2018 at 12:31 AM, johnukguy said:

If those stuck/dead pixels are close to the center then I'd definitely contact Dream-Seller for a return.That's not worth putting up with.

Pfft...well Dream-Seller says that they won't do anything about it since they claim "it must have happened during shipping" and that they say the monitors might have up to 3 dead pixels. They claim the QCed it before sending it out but I feel like that is a blatant lie. If they won't work with me on it then they just won't ever get my business again and get a bad review.

1 hour ago, BakaWolf said:

Pfft...well Dream-Seller says that they won't do anything about it since they claim "it must have happened during shipping" and that they say the monitors might have up to 3 dead pixels. They claim the QCed it before sending it out but I feel like that is a blatant lie. If they won't work with me on it then they just won't ever get my business again and get a bad review.

I agree. Tell him you'll be instituting a chargeback and leaving a negative review. 

On 1/2/2018 at 12:31 AM, MageTank said:

Also, in order for me to argue that I am "right", someone has to tell me that I am wrong first, lol.

You're wrong first, lol. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

You're wrong first, lol. 

In that case, I retract my previous statement. Well played Bouzoo... well played. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I don't know if it's worth playing lottery... but yes.. if it's $300 and you don't pay any tax.. why not..

if it would be 250€... that would be really cheap for europe, where the asus one is like 800€!!

RIP the price increased by $100; Why? 

Now it doesn't even have a place existing versus the Pixio PX277 or whatever

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

11 minutes ago, GloriousPain said:

RIP the price increased by $100; Why? 

Now it doesn't even have a place existing versus the Pixio PX277 or whatever

The price is up because there are very few in stock. It usually comes back down when more stock is in. The exception is when there isn't going to be anymore stock, which is when Dream-Seller usually starts selling another model around the same $300 mark, with either similar or better features. Or, the Linus video has just blown up the market and he's now price gouging, but that won't work in the longer term because the monitors sell due to their low price primarily.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, johnukguy said:

The price is up because there are very few in stock. It usually comes back down when more stock is in. The exception is when there isn't going to be anymore stock, which is when Dream-Seller usually starts selling another model around the same $300 mark, with either similar or better features. Or, the Linus video has just blown up the market and he's now price gouging, but that won't work in the longer term because the monitors sell due to their low price primarily.

It was on sale for $300 (40% off) with the original price being $500. Linus didn't mention in the video that it was on sale for $300, even when he mentions the other two monitors that were similarly priced, were also on sale. Look back at the video at 0:54 where he mentions the price, but doesn't clarify that its on sale.

Crosspost from FP.

I got three of these myself. The colors are terrible out of the box. All the colors are super washed out. Maybe I'm biased coming from IPS instead of TN. Work setup: 24" IPS 60Hz Monitors. (3 x Dell 2415H, 3 x Lenovo Li2323s) Also, have 3 LG IPS monitors at home. (I think LG makes the panels for all the monitors I have). Was looking to cut down to 6x1080P to 3x1440P monitors

I've attached a color profile I generated with the Spyder 5 Express. LMG has a way better calibrator. I wonder if they calibrated it before doing the "unboxing"  because the colors are washed out of the box. I was ready to send them back but the calibration puts them in line with a high-end TN panel but doesn't quite look like a quality IPS. I'm sure if they tested it, it would be way out of spec with Adobe RGB colorspace.

If you want to recreate my conditions:

1. Set OSD language to English

2. Set Brightness to 80 (not backlight)

3. Adjust color temperature to 6500K

4. Disable Dynamic Contrast DCR

Apply the profile to see if it makes a difference.

Here's a guide to installing the profiles:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/ 

(Standard monitor types) Crossover 27 FAST-2.icm

17 hours ago, MrShameless said:

It was on sale for $300 (40% off) with the original price being $500. Linus didn't mention in the video that it was on sale for $300, even when he mentions the other two monitors that were similarly priced, were also on sale. Look back at the video at 0:54 where he mentions the price, but doesn't clarify that its on sale.

These monitors are regularly $300. That's why I buy several a year for clients and for myself. They go up in price when the stock gets low and then usually come back down again.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:54 PM, johnukguy said:

These monitors are regularly $300. That's why I buy several a year for clients and for myself. They go up in price when the stock gets low and then usually come back down again.

By any chance, do you know what the over driver function does? As far as I could tell, it brightens up the colors slightly when I went on blurbuster's ufo test to see whether it effects blur or does it refers to overclocking the monitor (which I have yet decided on testing out)

4 hours ago, MrShameless said:

By any chance, do you know what the over driver function does? As far as I could tell, it brightens up the colors slightly when I went on blurbuster's ufo test to see whether it effects blur or does it refers to overclocking the monitor (which I have yet decided on testing out)

Overdrive is supposed to improve response times but, if I have the option, I generally turn it off as I value image quality over an imperceptible better response time. Your mileage though may vary and it's worth experimenting with at least.

Edit, posted without checking.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:33 AM, Luscious said:

Good luck if that thing is still running 6-12 months down the road. Cheap monitors like these are RARELY a good deal, especially when you get a B-stock panel or electronics in it. If a $300 difference is going over your budget, then you've got bigger issues IMO. It's also always a good idea too to bust these open and find out the panel manufacturer, and maybe run a SpectraCal test.

Reputable brands will be into more than just monitors and stuff legally sold in the US by them has to meet certain standards - think about that. I once got a recommendation by a major retailer to buy a Seiki 4K monitor. I asked the guy what else do they manufacture? No answer! If the specs or price look too good to be true from some brand that you cannot even find on Google because their only contact hides behind an Alibaba listing, it's a good indicator that it's either b-stock inventory rebranded under an obscure name or they have cut massive corners on manufacturing/quality/reliability.

Be patient and wait for the brand name local SKU's to come down to the same price point. You'll get a better device/experience AND be backed by a proper warranty.

Considering what Asus and Acer have been putting in their monitors "B Grade" doesn't sound bad, I had one of those cheap Korean monitors for over 3 years and it didn't miss a beat minus the PSU blowing up which I replaced then sold it on after going 1440p/144hz.

Decided on posting a small review, get ready for the text wall:

The monitor I got is in perfect condition, even though the state the box it came in had a nice hole on the top as if someone had dropped it several feet (at least the monitor was well package and wasn't damaged). The monitor I received had no dead pixels or bad pixels with no visible (to me at least) back light bleed. The monitor I upgraded from was the Acer GN246HL and it was worth the investment, although I'm still tempted on getting the Dell S2417DG due to my curiosity. The obvious benefits I received were no inverse ghosting, better colors, and little to no blur. The Acer GN246HL is a gen one 144hz monitor so its going to have a lot of issues that would have been resolved that won't show up on any 144hz released this generation and so on. The viewing angles are great compared to the Acer, which is a TN panel so it goes without saying that TN panels have terrible angles. Acer GN246NL was known for its bad colors so even though the Crossfire monitor didn't have the best colors an IPS panels are known for, the profile DoctrDeep made, improved them a lot (thanks again). Speakers are not very loud at full volume, but does retain a lot of the audio quality around the 85%-90%, but after reaching that point, audio starts to degrade a bit. The controller is nice to have around, I just need to find something to hang it in the back of the monitor since I can't find a spot to put it on my desk (using a small desk atm). The stand is fine for my setup, but I can see some wanting to replace it with a tall monitor stand. As far as gaming goes, I've been messing around with custom resolutions since the main reason I bought this monitor was for a cheap alternative for a 144hz ultra wide screen monitor. It's done a pretty good job so far and I notice that some games don't enable the color profile that was setup as the colors would change drastically when in full screen or windowed mode. The windowed mode using the color profile and the full screen mode using the default color settings, so make sure to use the link that DoctrDeep posted, at the bottom of that page is how to remedy the issue. Make sure to enable the Over Driver option in the monitor menu, it may make the colors slightly brighter, but I've realized it only does this to moving images and helps make moving images look clearer. Enabling the Over Driver feature does help with response time and lag input, its difficult to say how big the difference is from the Acer GN246NL since I switched to a wireless G403 from my perixx MX2000 II the moment I installed the monitor, so delay may be increased from switching to a wireless mouse. I will say that the response time and lag input are close to the Acer, even without the Over Drive Function enabled. Here is a demo I recorded of me testing the monitor out for a more competitive game, CS:S. The demo shows a very slight delay, which is ideally on how it performs.

The clip was from my use on the Crossfire monitor.

I don't play CS:S much, but I play a similar game called Dirty Bomb that requires fast reaction times, so results should be similar.

The Dirty Bomb Clip was recorded live on the Acer GN246HL. This is to give you an idea of what Dirty Bomb is.

So far the monitor serves its purpose as a cheap ultrawide option, does fine for low-tier (maybe closer to mid tier) competitive play (this come from a casual player who tends to dips his toe in competitive play often), and no complaints so far. I traded in a small delay to upgrade to better colors (make sure to use DoctrDeep's profile), no inverse ghosting, larger resolution, gaming ultrawide for cheap, reduced blur, much better viewing angels, and larger screen for watching movies. Now all that's left is for me to see how the second crossfire monitor I had left in the corner turns out and hopefully nothing happened during shipping as its been in the back of my mind as a worrying concern, even those this monitor turned out fine. I would personally rate this monitor 7/10, but the delay leaves a lot to be desired and slight adjustments to color goes a long way.

• 1 month later...

If only this thing was ultra-wide, it would be perfect...

(Okay, perfect if it also had G-sync... but of course Nvidia is too busy jerking-off into a gigantic pile of cash to let mere mortals like us have access to variable refresh rate tech without selling a kidney!)

Monoprice seems to carry these now as well but under their own brand, so some company is building these and then allowing other groups to buy them and apply their own branding.

Construction looks the same as does the stand. (on the 27")

Both a 24" and 27" 1440p version, both with AHVA panels, 144hz and freesync.  they seem to come with an AC Power Adapter instead of that convertor that goes on the end of the plug.

Would be interesting to see if the OSD menu is any different,

edit: my mistake seems the 27" monoprice is only listing it as a 60hz panel, but otherwise construction looks fairly identical.