sound-card or not

Ambandion

Hey all.

I have been watching a few videos lately about soundcards. Are they worth to get? I have mainly been wondering because i have gotten my hands on a somewhat high end headset, and that's the Sennheiser Game Zero. My motherboard is the Asus prime X370-pro, and the sound is fine. But as i have seen in videos on youtube, people tend to recommend a soundcard when i got the headset i have. But will i notice any difference if i get one? I have been looking on a few, the Asus Soar Strix, the Creative Sound Blaster Z, and the Asus Xonar. I'm mainly using my pc for gaming, but also watching youtube and movies on it, as well as listening to music once in awhile. 

Hope some of you will take your time to help me out a bit. :)  

Hey, ambandion!

We understand your issues, so I'll help you out!

I have no idea!

If you want more help please press 1.

Hell naw! Better get DAC. "hi-end" soundcards are pretty useless these days. 

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 631 3.3GHz OC 1,450V core, stock cooler
GPU: Palit GTS 450 Core Voltage: 1037mV, Core Clock 860MHz, Memory Clock 1870MHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB x1 
Motherboard: AsRock a75m-hvs 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1070
RAM: G SKill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x370-F Gaming
Monitor: Aorus AD27QD

32 minutes ago, Ofbasecfin said:

Hey, ambandion!

We understand your issues, so I'll help you out!

I have no idea!

If you want more help please press 1.

Neither funny nor helpful. 

33 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Translation: There's no problem with your current motherboard audio so you don't need to get a sound card

54 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

That's the point...

Just now, Ofbasecfin said:

That's the point...

Too dank for me, maybe I am too old.

Just now, Matu20 said:

Too dank for me, maybe I am too old.

Hey, don't see me as the typical lil punk, or whatever his name was, fan.

IRL everyone doesn't even think I'm 14, cause I hate every f-in 14 yo cause all they think is, smoke to be cool and drink to be cool, and apple is the best cause it's expensive.

I hate people my age...

What about being a bit more serious instead of joking around?

Better headphones then better source. Source upgrades right now are meaningless unless you have a problem with your onboard audio like interference.

10 hours ago, Ambandion said:

What about being a bit more serious instead of joking around?

I've pretty much answered your question. You don't need a sound card, since you're already running X370 board which most of the time will have a decent if not good audio onboard

The main reason to get a sound card and not just use a usb dac is going to be hardware virtual surround sound for headphones and a low noise mic input. The sennheiser gsx 1000 has this stuff and looks pretty nice, but it is going for like $200. I think you can get the same basic feature set in a used soundblaster z for like under $50.

20 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Is DAC the new wave for audio in pc?

yea, I think so. Although sound cards do usually have optical out, so you could use them with an optical dac and have a foot in both worlds. But some of these dacs, like the topping d30, have ridiculously good usb performance, so it would be the obvious audiophile choice to just use a usb dac.

8 hours ago, xtroria said:

I've pretty much answered your question. You don't need a sound card, since you're already running X370 board which most of the time will have a decent if not good audio onboard

I'd sit a bit more on the fence than that. I got a sound card (Asus strix Soar) a while ago for my Crosshair VI Hero build. It definitely brings out more detail. Although I have a fairly decent 2.1 hifi setup connected to my PC. It sounded better for my higher quality recordings. But I would say for youtube music, the soundcard actually made it worse, as it brings out more imperfections.

Not sure about the DAC side o things, never looked into it.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

53 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I'd sit a bit more on the fence than that. I got a sound card (Asus strix Soar) a while ago for my Crosshair VI Hero build. It definitely brings out more detail. Although I have a fairly decent 2.1 hifi setup connected to my PC. It sounded better for my higher quality recordings. But I would say for youtube music, the soundcard actually made it worse, as it brings out more imperfections.

Not sure about the DAC side o things, never looked into it.

You don't put a $2500 set of wheels on a $10,000 car, you put it on a $100K car. It's the same thing for audio, if you're not running some headphone that's just expensive enough or needs the amplification, why spend the money.

I bought soundcard few years ago, now i regret it, onboard audio was just fine for my needs afterall, so unless you have really serious headphones or speakers, then its a waste to get a soundcard.