Man dies in a "swatting" prank

XenosTech

It's not clear what sparked the trouble but at some point in the argument, according to this tweet (via Dexerto), Baperizer enlisted the aid of another player, who goes by the name Swautistic, to actually initiate the swatting. Miruhcle effectively dared him to do it, but provided a false address (but one that was apparently near his own), which led the police to the Finch home. 

This is why sometimes I'm happy I live where I do. How fucking stupid do you have to be to risk the life of a person and the occupants of their home by making false calls of hostage situations ? The guy who was shot isn't even a gamer but he answered the door and lost his life for it. I hope this makes this kind of action carry even more serve punishments like life in prison.

Sauce: http://www.pcgamer.com/police-kill-kansas-man-while-responding-to-an-alleged-swatting/?utm_content=buffer86437&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Edit: If I don't reply, I've probably passed out and won't reply til I get back home from work tomorrow. Keep it civil guys.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

From comments in the link:

-" CoD pro ZooMaa of Faze Clan claimed on Twitter that he's previously swatted, or threatened to swat, multiple other people."-

This is why the words "video gamer" and "professional" should never go together. Every time a read a story about as so-called "professional gamer" they're always the absolute worst people on the planet. Actually you know what? I take it back: "pro-gamers" are great! S**t games like CoD keep all the a*hole nutcases in one place so normal people can enjoy the hobby in peace.

Guy thinks CoD is the only toxic community! Being naive can be cute, but this dude is blind AF!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

This is why sometimes I'm happy I live where I do. How fucking stupid do you have to be to risk the life of a person and the occupants of their home by making false calls of hostage situations ? The guy who was shot isn't even a gamer but he answered the door and lost his life for it. I hope this makes this kind of action carry even more serve punishments like life in prison.

Sauce: http://www.pcgamer.com/police-kill-kansas-man-while-responding-to-an-alleged-swatting/?utm_content=buffer86437&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Edit: If I don't reply, I've probably passed out and won't reply til I get back home from work tomorrow. Keep it civil guys.

Yes I've heard of this.  It was over a $1.50 wager too. This world we live in...

To add on: (From the article that this article links to)

“I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION,” said one gamer, who others said made the swatting call. His account was suspended overnight.

According to posts on Twitter, two gamers were arguing when one threatened to target the other with a swatting call. The person who was the target of the swatting gave the other gamer a false address, which sent police to a nearby home instead of his own, according to Twitter posts.

Dexerto, a online news service focused on gaming and the Call of Duty game, reported the argument began over a $1 or $2 wager over the game.

Seriously these types of 'pranks' sicken me.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think of it as just a prank, it just seemed like the right wording at the time of writing.

Edit 2: There is body cam footage on the article's source (Link, the video is at the top of the page), and in case you can't play the video, here is my summary of the contents:

Starts out with police on opposite side of road, an officer is yelling "show your hand(s?)".

The guy is standing at the door way with it wide open. They instructed him to "Walk this way", which as he proceeded to do so, he was shot. (Kinda blurry, so I'm not sure if the guy made any movements that could trigger someone to fire)

I didn't hear anyone say to shot, but the body cam might not have heard the command if there was one.

Edit 3: @dizmo pointed out that he reached into his waistband, which appears to be what triggered the officer.

Edited by Guest
Dizmo pointed out the waistband part

I have a hard time understanding the mind of someone who thinks that this is acceptable in any way, shape, or form. It's blatantly illegal, incredibly dangerous, and it's a "prank" that nobody is in on. Childish, immature, and it cost someone their life and it will probably cost the two gamers freedom and the cop will have to live with the fact that he killed someone because of a false, petty bullshit.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Seriously these types of pranks sicken me.

To me, it's not a fucking prank, it's simply a crime.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

From comments in the link:

Guy thinks CoD is the only toxic community! Being naive can be cute, but this dude is blind AF!

Shit I've seen league streamers get swatted for no reason. Some people are just assholes for no reason.

4 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Yes I've heard of this.  It was over a $1.50 wager too. This world we live in...

Like can you even buy much with that these days ?

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Seriously these types of pranks sicken me.

Not a prank man. the way how america is now, you shouldn't be doing this all in any regard. Unless it's an actual hostage situation.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Some people are just sad about video games. Swatting is just wierd. 

10 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I have a hard time understanding the mind of someone who thinks that this is acceptable in any way, shape, or form. It's blatantly illegal, incredibly dangerous, and it's a "prank" that nobody is in on. Childish, immature, and it cost someone their life and it will probably cost the two gamers freedom and the cop will have to live with the fact that he killed someone because of a false, petty bullshit.

It’s actually so thick these pranks. Did you hear about the girl who shot her boyfriend with a Desert Eagle? Far out. 

Honestly, why hell do people think this is acceptable. I would love to see where these people learned and began to think that this type of behavior was acceptable. I imagine squashing the source of such behaviors would have a larger impact than going after individuals. Though I am not condemning what was done.

Spoiler

Primary System: Big Rave
CPU: R7 2700x
Cooler: EK-AIO Basic 360
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2400 CL14 (OC @2733Mhz)

Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
GPU-1: Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8G Gaming

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Windows 10 Boot Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Ubuntu 20.04 Boot Disk: Samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB

Fans: Corsair LL120 RGB (x6)
PSU: EVGA BQ 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified

Secondary System: Razer Blade 15 (RTX)
CPU: i7-9750H

RAM: 16GB (Dual Channel, 2667Mhz)
GPU: RTX 2070 Max-Q
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Display: 15.6 inch IPS - 240Hz

RGB: Glorious

Just now, RorzNZ said:

It’s actually so thick these pranks. Did you hear about the girl who shot her boyfriend with a Desert Eagle? Far out. 

Wasn't that for a YouTube video. He was like "yeah, a book will stop a 44". So dumb. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

4 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Not a prank man. the way how america is now, you shouldn't be doing this all in any regard. Unless it's an actual hostage situation.

Sorry, should have worded it better, to clarify I don't think of it as just a prank, that was just the best way I thought of writing it when I first posted.

Is anybody here a lawyer? Does anyone know John's handle? I'm trying to figure out if this is manslaughter or murder and whether mens rea comes into effect. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Wasn't that for a YouTube video. He was like "yeah, a book will stop a 44". So dumb. 

Yeah. Natural selection at its finest. USA needs gun education like I need to lose weight. 

So, is the guy who made the hostage call a murderer? I would argue that he is, he moved for an innocent person to be killed. But is he legally a murderer?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Is anybody here a lawyer? Does anyone know John's handle? I'm trying to figure out if this is manslaughter or murder and whether mens rea comes into effect. 

I suppose the first question would be whether or not Swautistic and the one who asked him are US citizens. If they're not, the law becomes incredibly complicated.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Yeah. Natural selection at its finest. USA needs gun education like I need to lose weight. 

Yes, gun education. If everyone mandatory gun education through their public schooling, there would be much less gun crime, but there also needs to be something to push common sense. In Toledo, four teenagers (13 and 14 y.o) dropped a sandbag off of an overpass and killed someone. You can't control or educate about the dangers of sandbags, it's about common sense and ethical behavior. 

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

But is he legally a murderer?

That's what I would like to know. It comes down to mens rea, did the caller intend for this to be a consequence or result of his/her action? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

That's what I would like to know. It comes down to mens rea, did the caller intend for this to be a consequence or result of his/her action? 

Right, but how do you figure that out?

Will the caller's family have to go testify in court? Or anyone else. Either way manslaughter is already punished with prison (i think?). But of course, there's that and then there's Death Row.

Personally on the argument, I do think the thought of the receiver dying crossed the caller's mind, at least. "hey let's get some armed policepeople1 to raid a guy's house with deathly intention, it'll be fun!", something like that.

1 Yay gender neutrality2

2 I think footnotes are dope, Ima start using them instead of putting comments to my own text in parentheses.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Wtf did this happen

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

He never intended this to cause harm, that's obviously illegal. But when you do this, you understand that deadly force is involved, especially when calling in murder and hostage scenarios. And even still crimes can be committed unintentionally, and they're crimes none-the-less. I know submitting falsified police calls is illegal in its own right, when it causes harm, just extend.

Just now, JDE said:

Wtf did this happen

Unfortunately, yes

Spoiler

Right, but how do you figure that out?

Will the caller's family have to go testify in court? Or anyone else. Either way manslaughter is already punished with prison (i think?). But of course, there's that and then there's Death Row.

Personally on the argument, I do think the thought of the receiver dying crossed the caller's mind, at least. "hey let's get some armed policepeople1 to raid a guy's house with deathly intention, it'll be fun!", something like that.

I think they're both in the "intentional" camp. One attempted to perform a lethal offense while the target used a scapegoat via his neighbor. Picking up the phone, dialing 911 (or whatever phone number), and then giving an address should give PLENTY of time to think things through. 

1 Yay gender neutrality2

2 I think footnotes are dope, Ima start using them instead of putting comments to my own text in parentheses.

Get out of here with that superscript sh#t! #CollegeChemistry #SubscriptLivesMatter

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

He never intended this to cause harm, that's obviously illegal. But when you do this, you understand that deadly force is involved,

I remember joining SWAT and being given my first NERF blaster... 

Said no one ever. 

10 hours ago, JDE said:

Wtf did this happen

Swatting has been a thing for a couple of years now. Luckily, nothing major has happened until now. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

I'd like to know how exactly did he get shot. If he answered the door and they just went PEW PEW, imo that's the fault of the law enforcement.... if not, i'd like details of the exact scenario he got full of holes.

note: I do agree swatting is retarded.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I remember joining SWAT and being given my first NERF blaster... 

Said no one ever. 

I mean the callers had to know that deadly force is involved when you "swat" someone. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I mean the callers had to know that deadly force is involved when you "swat" someone. 

That's what I was hinting at. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler