Q code 8, no boot

just upgraded my pc to am4 and am using a crosshair vi hero and 1700x with a corsair hydro 100i as my cooler. My crosshair vi hero turns on, displays q code 8 and does not boot. I have installed the new bios but it did nothing.

2 minutes ago, bcg said:

just upgraded my pc to am4 and am using a crosshair vi hero and 1700x with a corsair hydro 100i as my cooler. My crosshair vi hero turns on, displays q code 8 and does not boot. I have installed the new bios but it did nothing.

Look in the manual to what Code 8 is 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

Look in the manual to what Code 8 is 

I did and it said it was "system agent initialization after microcode loading", I looked it up on google and all I could find was people saying to update the bios.

Just now, bcg said:

I did and it said it was "system agent initialization after microcode loading", I looked it up on google and all I could find was people saying to update the bios.

And after you updated the BIOS you got no boot?

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

And after you updated the BIOS you got no boot?

yes

and the code was still there

Just now, bcg said:

yes

and the code was still there

Sounds like you bricked your board. Is it an ASUS board? If so, you're going to need to use CrashFree BIOS 3. Look up how to get it going. This will recover your BIOS 

Just to be clear, it is error code 8 and not 08, correct? If it is, I had the same problem and I had to RMA my motherboard. Error code 8 is with the CPU.

Check out my troubleshooting here:

Could try resetting cmos? Thats a hopeful guess, im not very handy when it comes to this stuff

5 minutes ago, bcg said:

yes it is just 8 not 08

You might have a dud motherboard like I did. Try everything from clearing CMOS (like what was said earlier), to updating the BIOS to the latest one available, before sending it out for RMA.

Do you by any chance have access to another Ryzen compatible motherboard?

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Do you by any chance have access to another Ryzen compatible motherboard?

No I do not

4 minutes ago, bcg said:

No I do not

I just asked that to see if you can double check if it is the motherboard that's the problem.

Hopefully it's still within the RMA period so that you would not have to pay for anything. Go through the seller first before going through ASUS. You have to pay for shipping if you sent it to ASUS.

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I just asked that to see if you can double check if it is the motherboard that's the problem.

Hopefully it's still within the RMA period so that you would not have to pay for anything. Go through the seller first before going through ASUS. You have to pay for shipping if you sent it to ASUS.

ok thanks

Which bios did you flash? If you want to try one more thing (if you haven't yet) Downlod bios 1701 from a different computer and put it on a usb. Make sure to rename it properly. Then use the usb port on the back I/O panel labeled Bios. I'm sure you know this all already, but just want to make sure. But I would like to know which bios version you tried 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

• 2 years later...

I had the same issue with my Gigabyte z270x gaming 8 motherboard. I tried a lot of things but what worked for me was removing all my ram dims and restart the pc without ram, obviously unsuccessful. Then I added one ram dim at a time and restarted my pc. My pc booted correctly with one of the ram dims but would not do the same with the other one. I hope it might help someone.