True 7.1 surround sound headset?

AdvancedKittyWarfer
1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't feel you're trying hard enough ;)

Hide contents

1229171504.thumb.jpg.adf93fcc1af8880ec4748895f0d23a6b.jpg

Unless you are :/

Unless I place boxes between my seat and bed no I'm not... I may have a hard not breaking sutff in my sleep coz its that close.. 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I use speaker stands. They were like $20 at Target.

I'll still knock shit over... Which isnt nice...

22 minutes ago, AdvancedKittyWarfer said:

No, I mean I have no space or anywhere to put them... As I said in my personal room there isn't much room for it. I got a bed and all other damn things in my room. And obviosly in the way of any speakers

You mount them to the walls, something like this:

Image result for 7.1 small speakers wall mount

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You mount them to the walls, something like this:

Image result for 7.1 small speakers wall mount

My room is like 1 third of that... with stuff in it...

For true 7.1 headphones (8 drivers) to work in a convincing way, not only would each pair of drivers need a connection to a dac, but both the left side and right side would have to be connected together in like a complex way. I think there is a fear that manufacturers won't do the second part, as well as the cost/quality per driver would have to be really low to make the final product not ridiculously expensive, and the fact that you would need a 8 channel dac and 4 stereo amplifiers is what makes people go for virtual 7.1 surround sound. I think that's generally considered better even, and you get to use it with conventional equipment since it is done digitally.

• 5 months later...

The Roccat Kave XTD digital (or analogue) headset is a true 5.1 headset - or at least pretty darn close. It  uses 3 drivers in each ear cup to simulate position, but that's 6 drivers in total, and they work very well (according to me).  It works well. 

I've never listened using synthetic surround sound using a normal 1 driver/per earcup. The Roccat Kave XTD the headset to beat for me, and I have come across people complaining that synthetic surround is not as good (see Tom's Hardware). 

My use case for the Kave headset has often been Team Fortress 2 (an oldie but a goodie); I have been able to hear the exact direction spies were decloaking from, and turn to meet them (to about 5 degrees of accuracy). It hasn't saved me from quieter spies, but no headset can do that. It's also helped me just get a feel for virtual battlefields that I wasn't getting in stereo.  
Now if you want sound quality, then get your sennheiser headphones. But if you want good direction, I recommend a Kave XTD headset. Jay liked them too.

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but no one had suggested a true surround sound headset, and I feel I had something to contribute for any later readers. 

Cramming garbage truck load of even worser drivers into headphones is marketing BS.

Those are physically incapable to mimicking sound of well done home theater.

Human has "2.0 audio input" and hears in 3D because head and outer ears cause direction dependant changes to signal received by ears from sound sources.

With headphones that can be achieved by having those binaural/spatial cues directly in two channel signal itself.

Which can be achieved in recordings by putting two mics into ears of dummy head.

And when dummy head recording isn't possible same can be simulated mathematically.

After that only thing needed is accurate enough reproduction of that signal and its possible to get feel even for distance.

Which is something in what gaming trinkets struggle.

13 hours ago, MurderousTitaniumPuffin said:

The Roccat Kave XTD digital (or analogue) headset is a true 5.1 headset - or at least pretty darn close. It  uses 3 drivers in each ear cup to simulate position, but that's 6 drivers in total, and they work very well (according to me).  It works well. 

I've never listened using synthetic surround sound using a normal 1 driver/per earcup. The Roccat Kave XTD the headset to beat for me, and I have come across people complaining that synthetic surround is not as good (see Tom's Hardware). 

My use case for the Kave headset has often been Team Fortress 2 (an oldie but a goodie); I have been able to hear the exact direction spies were decloaking from, and turn to meet them (to about 5 degrees of accuracy). It hasn't saved me from quieter spies, but no headset can do that. It's also helped me just get a feel for virtual battlefields that I wasn't getting in stereo.  
Now if you want sound quality, then get your sennheiser headphones. But if you want good direction, I recommend a Kave XTD headset. Jay liked them too.

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but no one had suggested a true surround sound headset, and I feel I had something to contribute for any later readers. 

I used a cheap true 5.1 medusa headset for a good while, in some fps games I found the sound direction was better than stereo. But the sound quality was far, far worse.

Move forward some time and I now use decent stereo headphones, with reasonable soundstage and very good imaging. The 5.1's for directional sound only were a touch better. 

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Well.... mine aren't that cheap. Could they be substandard? It's possible. The difference for me has been fine. I use speakers (2.1) for actual 'good' sound quality. 

On 12/29/2017 at 5:10 PM, AdvancedKittyWarfer said:

Never heard of them. That could be the issue?

That is very mainstream quality headphones and a quality Amp and DAC. If you are looking for gaming headphones what would be your budget?