5k iMac 1st 24hrs

Sousuke

5k iMac (Mid 2017) 24hr Review/First Impressions

20171228_212826.jpg

So recently I had decided that I am no longer playing games enough to warrant a full gaming PC any longer and I decided that after 3 years of owning a PC I'd go back to where I started, the iMac.

I had an iMac G3 to start with, an Indigo DV Model which sparked my interest in computers. Since then I have always wanted to get an iMac again but things got in the way/PC Gaming is amazing, recently I've found I hardly play games anymore and was thinking of getting an iMac again.

Then last week I saw this iMac on the Apple Refurbished Page, the Mid 2017 5k Retina iMac with £260 off the price! So I jumped at it and now I own a computer I've wanted for years!!

Okay thats enough of the past now onto the present!

Display

Of course you can not start talking about this machine without talking about the display, it is amazing, I have never seen a screen so wonderful as this one, the 5k resolution on a 27inch screen is just breathtaking the best way I can explain it is that the screen almost looks like a photo! Just glad these iMacs have been out for a little bit now as they've been able to improve the screen and the power behind it! (Plus Star Wars wallpapers are in 5k).

Specs

Now as you can expect with Apple the specs aren't as good as a PC costing the same amount so here are the specs on mine:

Intel Core i5-7600 @ 3.4GHz Quad Core

8GB DDR4 2400MHz Ram (Upgradable)

Radeon Pro 570 4GB GPU

5120x2880 Display

1TB Fusion Drive

So as PC's go its not too bad! 

Software

Why do people buy Mac's? Well it should be for macOS not just the OMG its APPLE SHINY OOOO factor! 

Yes Apple makes some outstanding products with great build quality but its the Software that makes it worth it to me, I have always liked Apples OS's from iOS to macOS! Now for an out of the box computer it comes with a full "Office" like suite which includes nearly everything a person could want and iMovie which is a good starting ground for basic video editing! Now I use Microsoft Office on my Mac so I don't use iWork as every other machine I use is a Windows machine running Microsoft Office. 

Whats also fantastic about macOS is its compatibility with Windows networks, I have a Dell Poweredge T110 running Windows 2012 R2 Server and for what I use it for (Mainly for Media & Overnight Downloads). All my files still show up where they should and everything works as it did! Even Remote Desktop Connection works a treat as thats the only way I can manage my server without dragging a keyboard monitor and mouse over to it.

Its quick, clean and effective and doesn't download candy crush without you asking!! 

Price

Now going with a refurbished model over a new model makes this machine much more worth the money but you can't always trust they'll always be there. I paid £1489 for my iMac which is £260 or around 15% off the normal price which is great as I'm not a student! For the specs however this amount of money can get you a better machine but when you add the display into the mix it becomes clear that the iMac is a great value as the LG UltraFine 5k Display is £1179 which in my case means the rest of the system cost £310 or it would be £570 if it wasn't refurbished!

So yes the 5k iMac is expensive but its not the worst deal in the world! 

Keyboard & Mouse

I will start on a good point and that is for bundled peripherals they are very high quality, some other machines I've bought in the past came with the normal bog standard keyboard and mouse! I have to admit the keyboard is excellent a fully rechargeable and bluetooth keyboard really comes in handy, the mouse however well, its a good addition but for most people it will be replaced soon after purchase which is what I plan to do. Its just too flat, yes the multi touch on there is awesome and I love that its rechargeable but its just too flat! 

Also where they decided to put the lightning port for power on it is stupid and who'm ever decided to put it there should feel bad, I've not had the issue of battery running out whilst in the middle of using the iMac but I have a funny feeling at some point I will!  

Issues

Ahh with any change comes its issues, like the Android File Transfer app not working right at all with my Samsung Galaxy S8 and the "Smart Switch" app just backs up the entire phone without allowing for just transferring media! 

Also the computer moves around allot on my desk if I just happen to touch it which can be annoying, gladly the wireless keyboard an mouse solves some of this! 

Hope you all enjoyed reading my review I know not all of you like Macs and will instantly hate on me getting one but I have to admit this machine is a screamer as the late Steve Jobs would say!

26194185_10214594668482256_1630997458_o.jpg

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I envy everything other than the Radeon Pro 570 lol 

I love to game but with the Games I play Apple makes hardware more than good enough to run them on high settings. My next desktop will likely be an iMac and I'll probably BootCamp Windows on it for my games. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

• 2 months later...
On 04/01/2018 at 6:35 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I envy everything other than the Radeon Pro 570 lol 

I love to game but with the Games I play Apple makes hardware more than good enough to run them on high settings. My next desktop will likely be an iMac and I'll probably BootCamp Windows on it for my games. 

Yes, I have to admit I do love your build, with the PowerMac G5 case, I have an old PowerMac G4 lying around that I've been tempted to do a ATX mod to but its still working and part of me can't break any vintage Mac without it being broken.

I mean I just got a 20inch iMac G4 (Was only out a few months so is rare, especially in the UK) and that would be an awesome rebuild project but once again it still works so can't do that to it xD

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage