Apple apologizes over battery fisasco, will offer $29 battery replacements for 1 year

DrMacintosh
Just now, bcredeur97 said:

i think the problem with the note was cramming a big battery in a small space.

And the internal short in them from bad manufacturing, thin batteries are just harder to make.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yep, but what exactly is stopping phone makers from increasing the overall package voltage and spending a little more money on voltage regulation on the device end? That also isn't the only option, you can actually tailor make batteries to certain specifications if required and is what Tesla is doing with their own battery manufacturing.

It's cheaper and easier to go with an existing design that is proven to work well, until it stops work well of course.

You have a lot of options if you have the space to do it.

That would make the battery more volatile, not something I'd personally want in a device that sits in my pocket all the time.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

idk why i assumed 19V... eh. carry on.

19v is what most DC in chargers run at.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

So...my phone has a better battery than an iPhone due to it being 8.4Wh (it says so right next to the mAh), and its only a phone that cost me $50 AUD.

better or bigger is the question? 

to which I can say it's definetly bigger.. but better can have strings attached so i cannot answer

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nah it didn't, not everyone knows what the numbers means on a battery and the difference. Also think 19V is more common, my laptop is crap lol. 

Your special protato lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, vetali said:

That would make the battery more volatile, not something I'd personally want in a device that sits in my pocket all the time.

19v is what most DC in chargers run at.

ah.. that's right. that's where i got that number from i guess lol. it was in the brain somewhere

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, vetali said:

Doesn't have to be a lot more, we're still far below voltages that you even need to care about safety wise. The battery itself is far more dangerous than it's operating voltage, they go up in flames just the same regardless of terminal voltage and higher doesn't make it more likely. 

Drawing high current from a battery is rather stressful on it, raising it from say 3.7V to 5V will have a big impact over 2 years of operation.

The most common battery voltages are 3.7V and 4.2V, I don't know which Apples uses but 4.2V is a better choice if you care about longevity. But I'd still rather see 5V-7V start being used for these high end phones or start current regulating the battery output.

18 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Are you trying to blame apple for battery degradation?

People use their phone a lot. Some people might even need to charge their phone mid-way through out their day. Once you’ve completed around 700 charge cycle, it’s completely normal for lithium battery to go bad. Some dont even know how to take care of their battery and only charge when their battery is completely or nearly depleted, which harms their batteries.

The problem on throttling appears on iPhone 6 and some 6s, which are both over 2 years old and so it’s normal for the battery to start going bad with the charge cycle. 

The problem has been reported on iphone 7's as well which are just coming to a year now.  I am not saying apple is responsible for normal battery degradation, I am saying if the problem is that bad that they need to start throttling at the year mark then they probably put in batteries with too little of a capacity for the phones intended use. A larger battery would not require as many recharge cycles (and can be charged daily from a lower DoD) leading to much longer battery life.    I think most people would agree that a phone should get to 2 years before you start to experience problems due to normal battery degradation.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

better or bigger is the question? 

to which I can say it's definetly bigger.. but better can have strings attached so i cannot answer

Well it charges rapidly even off standard USB 2.0 ports (500mA), and even when plugged into a 2A charger, it barely gets warm and charges of course significantly faster (its also over 2 years old now and still hasn't degraded).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Doesn't have to be a lot more, we're still far below voltages that you even need to care about safety wise. The battery itself is far more dangerous than it's operating voltage, they go up in flames just the same regardless of terminal voltage and higher doesn't make it more likely. 

Drawing high current from a battery is rather stressful on it, raising it from say 3.7V to 5V will have a big impact over 2 years of operation.

The most common battery voltages are 3.7V and 4.2V, I don't know which Apples uses but 4.2V is a better choice if you care about longevity. But I'd still rather see 5V-7V start being used for these high end phones or start current regulating the battery output.

apple uses 3.81V in my iPhone X lol..

don't you need a higher voltage charger than the battery? with 5V as the standard for USB.. i can see anything else being harder to do

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well it charges rapidly even off standard USB 2.0 ports (500mA), and even when plugged into a 2A charger, it barely gets warm and charges of course significantly faster (its also over 2 years old now and still hasn't degraded).

but you've also probably gone through less cycles due to it's larger size and not having to charge it as often as someone with a small iphone would have to. 

from what i can tell 300 cycles seems to be the magic number before battery degradation.. and at around 500 cycles you're already down to 80% of original capacity. 

one can EASILY hit 300 cycles in less than a year with the smaller-sized iphones. trust me... ive used one. i think on average i would go through about 450 cycles in the first year. this iphone x is def doing better though... dont have to charge twice a day

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

don't you need a higher voltage charger than the battery? with 5V as the standard for USB.. i can see anything else being harder to do

Well shit. USB charging, forgot about that. Maybe DC-DC shunt it up to a higher voltage? I know change the USB standard! xD

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The problem has been reported on iphone 7's as well which are just coming to a year now.  I am not saying apple is responsible for normal battery degradation, I am saying if the problem is that bad that they need to start throttling at the year mark then they probably put in batteries with too little of a capacity for the phones intended use. A larger battery would not require as many recharge cycles (and can be charged daily from a lower DoD) leading to much longer battery life.    I think most people would agree that a phone should get to 2 years before you start to experience problems due to normal battery degradation.

But as an iPhone user myself, I dont have such problem which leads me to question the users themselves if they actually have been using the phone in such a way it abuses the battery longetivity

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I have a desire 510 and it is very similar. it's just on a year old now and battery lasts out 2-3 days from one full charge (which takes about 40minutes).  Because of this I can put it on charge when the batter has reached only 20-30%DoD which means I can expect the battery to last 3 years before I notice degradation.

I fully understand the bigger the phone (screen, ram, processor etc) the more power it needs, but the math is the same.  If the battery is too small it will go through full cycles faster and you will experience said degradation much sooner.  The thing with the iphone 6&7 is that most users are claiming it gets between 8 and 12 hours per charge, which means it is doing full recharges daily and DoD is far greater. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, leadeater said:

Well shit. USB charging, forgot about that. Maybe DC-DC shunt it up to a higher voltage? I know change the USB standard! xD

well the cable is just a cable... they could make higher voltage wall/car chargers. but users will be furious when they plug in their phones to their computers and they don't charge. 

so yeah.. changing the USB standard to maybe 7V or even 9V would be the way to go here.. easier said than done.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

so yeah.. changing the USB standard to maybe 7V or even 9V would be the way to go here.. easier said than done

Making the already non 'Universal' even more non 'Universal', MUSB (Maybe Universal Serial Bus).

2 minutes ago, xtroria said:

But as an iPhone user myself, I dont have such problem which leads me to question the users themselves if they actually have been using the phone in such a way it abuses the battery longetivity

Unless the users are going out of their way to use the phone such that it goes through significantly higher cycles with greater DoD, then that should have been taken into account when apple chose the size of the battery. 

For the record I would expect this to happen on any phone that causes the battery to cycle as often at the same DoD.  My issue is when a phone is designed, the size of the battery is balanced against it's intended use.   Given the issue is big enough to have been noticed and measured, it's a fairly safe bet that it is being experienced by average users as much as it is by those who are likely using it as a game pad or or running video 24/7 fully cycling the battery more than twice a day.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Making the already non 'Universal' even more non 'Universal', MUSB (Maybe Universal Serial Bus).

they should totally do that and disguise it with the name of "Modern" USB 

:P 

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Tell that to all the android phone manufacturers that also do the same thing

I will, on those discussions. Done with the whataboutism?

-------

Current Rig

-------

They are giving out batteries for $29 now after I just bought one off Amazon that works just fine for $11 and it came with an installation kit.  Nice.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they should totally do that and disguise it with the name of "Modern" USB 

:P

If there is a company that could actually do it it's Apple, make all the Mac devices have iPhone ready USB ports and then everyone else will just fall inline and have a high voltage mode on USB ports. I mean since when has Apple actually cared about industry standards that aren't their own anyway.

Just now, Xirhanna said:

They are giving out batteries for $29 now after I just bought one off Amazon that works just fine for $11 and it came with an installation kit.  Nice.

I believe the cost also includes labour in shop and the work will be supported with the usual guarantees.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I believe the cost also includes labour in shop and the work will be supported with the usual guarantees.

Oh wow, that's actually a pretty good deal.  I was sweating bullets when I was installing the battery into my iPhone 5s because I can't afford a new one.  D:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If there is a company that could actually do it it's Apple, make all the Mac devices have iPhone ready USB ports and then everyone else will just fall inline and have a high voltage mode on USB ports. I mean since when has Apple actually cared about industry standards that aren't their own anyway.

high voltage "mode" -- genius. that way it can work with older devices

at least until they deprecate "modes" and just go to 9V. then suddenly that old usb flash drive your grandpa gives you fries instantly when you plug it in

Spoiler

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I hate Apple, but I have to hand it to them, this is absolutely genius marketing. They get to come off looking like the good guy by offering "cheap" battery replacements, and on top of that there are tons of people that think they now need a new battery, or that they should get one "just because it's cheap." They're going to profit like mad off of this.

remember after the new macbook pro was released, a lot of users/reviewers complained because the battery life they get from their macbook was not that great. (there is a % battery indicator with how many hours left approximately on the top right corner)

you know what apple did? 

they removed the "how many hours left" indicator. so now we only have % one. 

the user have no idea how long their macbook will last.

LOL

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.