Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathTrigger

Looking for a Niche gaming laptop (thin powerful good build quality)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
  • Total budget and country of purchase: Budget ~2500 CAD - CANADA

  • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Processor : i7

    • GPU : GTX 1060 (not less... if not not worth it compared to the new 9560 XPS)

    • Screen : As color accurate as possible. 1080p but more would be preferable. (I don't care about g-sync or 120hz)

    • Bonus : Thunderbolt 3 is a nice to have

  • How important is weight and thinness to you? Weight 5 pounds and less

  • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15" or less 1080p but more would be preferable

  • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Programming, Website editing and creation also Gaming!

  • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Well GPU GTX 1060.

  • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    • Good build quality : E.G metal body, I don't mind flex etc. just not plastic or not a lot of it.

    • Good touchpad and keyboard : I use them a lot when I'm on the go for programming etc. Gaming I use a mouse.

  • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    • So I've been doing my research for ages now and I can't seem to find something that will suites my needs... I'm looking for a gaming capable laptop. I use it mostly for programming and web designing. I currently own a Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ, GTX 960m, UHD). Why am I saying that, because I got a bit spoiled by the Amazing color accurate screen and amazing build quality, mentioning the Microsoft precision touchpad, but darn the gpu is bad.

    • I've check the alienware 13 OLED nice but way to heavy, also checked the aorus x3 but darn it's hard to find information about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Haha yeah thanks! I was looking at the UHD model (which seems to have a better screen) its 2849$ + damn 15% taxes here in quebec... 3300$
Any idea hows the FHD screen?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Razer blade is kinda awful, an Aero 14/15 is more your ballpark.


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Razer blade is kinda awful, an Aero 14/15 is more your ballpark.

Yeah I've heard about that, it's just the build quality I'm wondering with the aero 14/15. Coming from the XPS 15 I'm like Meh

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeathTrigger said:

Yeah I've heard about that, it's just the build quality I'm wondering with the aero 14/15. Coming from the XPS 15 I'm like Meh

It's higher quality than the blade by a fair margin, material isn't what makes or breaks a device.

 

 


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeathTrigger said:

 

Yeah you're right!

What do you think of the Aorus X3 Plus r7-KL3K4 13.9" ? It just doesn't have TB3

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834725048

 

Not going to lie, I'm a big fan.  I don't know if it matches up to what you are lookiong for with build quality though, I've heard there is some flex on the 15" model.

@Galm has a great deal of experience with laptops


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I would get personally, without a single ounce of hesitation.  I liked it before the LTT review of it's brother and now I'm head over heels

 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233205&cm_re=aero_14-_-34-233-205-_-Product

 

This is the one Ltt reviewed recently

https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Aero-15X-BK4-Notebook-i7-7700HQ/dp/B076FLGX9D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514495516&sr=8-3&keywords=Gigabyte+Aero+15x


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Damascus said:

This is what I would get personally, without a single ounce of hesitation.  I liked it before the LTT review of it's brother and now I'm head over heels

 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233205&cm_re=aero_14-_-34-233-205-_-Product

 

This is the one Ltt reviewed recently

https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Aero-15X-BK4-Notebook-i7-7700HQ/dp/B076FLGX9D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514495516&sr=8-3&keywords=Gigabyte+Aero+15x

Thanks for the help :)!

Hesitating between Aorus and Aero now! Time to research! 

Another question what do you think about MSI GS63?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeathTrigger said:

Thanks for the help :)!

Hesitating between Aorus and Aero now! Time to research! 

Another question what do you think about MSI GS63?

It's an interesting device, one I once wanted.  I don't like the bloatware and high rate of failure though.


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Damascus said:

It's an interesting device, one I once wanted.  I don't like the bloatware and high rate of failure though.

Bloatware meh don't care I always format to stock windows when I get them! Didn't know about the failure rates tho :o

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aorus is definitely better built than the Aero.  The Aero is like an XPS 15 without the premium feel.  It definitely feels budget despite the large price tag.

 

For smaller 15" notebooks I like the P950HP6 or HR a lot.


 
X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Galm said:

The Aorus is definitely better built than the Aero.  The Aero is like an XPS 15 without the premium feel.  It definitely feels budget despite the large price tag.

 

For smaller 15" notebooks I like the P950HP6 or HR a lot.

I might just wait for a new model of the Aorus X3, with TB3, maybe the new keyboard in the aero 15.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Galm thanks, always worried my personal biases shine through too much.  


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×