Building the ULTIMATE Twitch Streaming PC!

most people who run 2 a system setup tend to be streamers who have a lot of money or people who bought a new computer and are trying to figure out what to do with their old one also i could be wrong but i wouldn't be surprised if a bad enough crash will take down both systems which is another reason some streamers like separation. and at least in comparison to your build it can be achieved at a much lower cost 

Thought capture cards with hardware h264 encoders that came out years ago eliminated the need for a second PC or am I missing something?

Don't know much about streaming tbh.

If I had a Ryzen 1600X for example with 6 cores 12 threads, would I be able to use 4 threads for encoding and 4 threads for gaming and have 4 threads left over, or would I only be able to use 2 cores for encoding and 4 cores for gaming, and not have anything left over.

2 hours ago, Lilthrasher said:

If I had a Ryzen 1600X for example with 6 cores 12 threads, would I be able to use 4 threads for encoding and 4 threads for gaming and have 4 threads left over, or would I only be able to use 2 cores for encoding and 4 cores for gaming, and not have anything left over.

2 Cores = 4 Threads

So, yes, you could use 4 threads for gaming, 4 threads for encoding, and have 4 threads left over.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I would honestly think building two systems in a Corsair Slate (if it hopefully releases, and if you have the desk space) for this purpose would be better. Granted, this isn't a bad idea but I think the Intel Sponsorship of the build makes this a high priced system.

I wouldn't mind trying this on my rig, but I have a 6850k with 32GB of RAM, so I don't think I really have much room in terms of cores to make it truly work unless I upgrade the CPU, which the cost of that could already buy a seperate Ryzen CPU, Board, and RAM and then some :/

So I am intrigued by this process i have most of the hardware already. I was curious what the need for unraid would be? that doesn't seem necessary for streaming just for other video content creation. Before ppl get on me about sunken cost and stuff i do have a sub button on twitch, do not have enough room for a 2nd pc, and I have a crazy supportive community that helped me upgrade my pc multiple times.

20 hours ago, RustyNai1 said:

So I am intrigued by this process i have most of the hardware already. I was curious what the need for unraid would be? that doesn't seem necessary for streaming just for other video content creation. Before ppl get on me about sunken cost and stuff i do have a sub button on twitch, do not have enough room for a 2nd pc, and I have a crazy supportive community that helped me upgrade my pc multiple times.

No benefit what so ever. It's just a flat out dumb idea in general. Your system will run games+stream better if you didn't run all of this junk.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Actually a pretty awesome concept. I'd love to give it a go myself... when I pick up an i9 :P 

Gonna be that guy,

I have a build using a 1700x and it's definitely cheaper than 2 PCs.  That's actually a marketing point for Unraid, the reduced price tag vs 2 PCs.  I think the big crux everyone is pivoting on is this specific CPU and ones like it.  You can easily survive off a much cheaper chip and get great performance in each VM.  

Additional costs:

More RAM (wasn't worth an arm and a leg when I got it this time last year)

Larger PSU( depends if you already have 800+W)

New CPU (unless you already have 8+ cores)

Second GPU (unless you have SLI already)

OS (Unraid + seconds Windows license)

4 of those pieces you may already have. 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...