Building the ULTIMATE Twitch Streaming PC!

thank god i came to this thread. i would have gone broke if i had followed my raging boner after watching this video. great advice here.

Care to share the items, prices and links on what was added and used on that awesome PC? Thanks!

Just wondering, a big reason ive stayed away from doing something like this is because of the limited access obs would have to my gaming vm's separate windows. Is this still a limitation? If all you can grab from the gaming rig is the desktop/whole image that would be problematic.

I don't understand. A Core i9 7980XE has 18 cores not 16 - y is 16 cores shown in the video????

why did you have to release at like 3 am est

Like i know my sleep schedule is fucked sense I was still awake at that time.

also is it bad I only got 4 hours of sleep, and no coffee but am still functioning normally 

anyway good video but like damn that was a huge case.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

For the costs questions... A FUCKING LOT, that's how much. The case is a prototype so who knows what it will run but for something that size maybe 4 figures... if not, close. The Quadro's we know how much they cost... RAM, motherboard and drives you can get an approximation online, CPU's same thing. And this is before the liquid cooling kicks in.. yeah, this will probably go into 5 figures area assuming you are a normie and have to pay for your shit.

2 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

The case is a prototype

Except it isn't... 

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/obsidian-series-900d-super-tower-case 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, DoctorWho1975 said:

still a 310 US case. 

I know for sure the 750D is cheaper and is basically the same case just with the bottom basement chopped off. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

That Corsair 360mm AIO tho. Probably succ.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

First of all, yes, I understand it's "uLtImAtE" so this doesn't really matter in the long run for this video. However, what did bother me a little bit was the way Linus compared VM, separate machines, and single computer. This test was really cool to see what VM would do, but I really think it has far more cons than pros.

In terms of a budget build, most budget streamers need something cheap but that can still work. If anyone here is familiar with OBS, they have done a killer job with NVENC encoding. 

My system, a i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz and Gigbyte G1 GTX 970 (which can be built similarly for about $1200 today, which is a fairly low budget), does the following:

Doing regular X264 encoding with my i5, the most I can squeeze out is a 720p @ 30 fps stream at approximately 3500 Kbps. This is with a variety of games, and even games like Counter Strike, and especially GTA V, suffer from performance hits. These are both games I can usually run on very high settings and get at least 144 fps out of. 

However, when I switch it over to NVENC with the 970, I can push out a 1080p @ 60 FPS stream at up to 20,000 Kbps without seeing any performance dips in CSGO or GTA V. 

The main drawback of a single system is likely the fact that you can't have the reliability or control of two systems, but at the same time, being able to access all of your devices, stream, and game from one machine is very useful. 

Yes, again, it was the "ULTIMATE" build, but I can easily see how someone could think that "VM" is the way to go without full realizing what kind of power you need to run something like that.

What are your thoughts?

I think the setup is a bit too over the top.  Most streamers I know use obs on the same machine that they are streaming on.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

8 hours ago, wintercat said:

Again, not interested in the viability for ME, just how this compares to 2 rigs for someone who doesn't already have 2 rigs.

Honestly, 2 rigs will save you money, and get you about the same, if not better performance. However, if you're tight on space, this build is amazing

Had a custom pc, but I traded it for a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 2070

1 hour ago, sinfulfartzilla said:

I think the setup is a bit too over the top.  Most streamers I know use obs on the same machine that they are streaming on.

It is better to stream with two seperate pcs, but you can just stream off of 1 pc. It'll just not look as good.

7 hours ago, Selha said:

Does anyone know if there is a product similar to the kvm mentioned here that does high bandwidth video signals? Just so I can connect a ps4 / pc to a single monitor(144hz 1440p asus 27incher that only has 1 video input). This kvm is kinda expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinger-Switch-Bi-directional-Supports-Switcher/dp/B06XXFHPBH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514491022&sr=8-3&keywords=two+computers+one+monitor+switch

How did you guys get away with putting an unreleased and unannounced corsair product in your video? (I'm talking about the triple core radiator AiO)

@LinusTech

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

3 hours ago, The Dark Swordsman said:

*snip*

merged ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

11 hours ago, wintercat said:

I'm asking the question from the perspective of someone who would be interested in streaming and also thinking about upgrading their system in the near future. If I'm already thinking about upgrading chipsets, could this be a relatively easy transition as opposed to both upgrading my gaming pc and building a whole separate streaming pc at the same time?

I'm in your boat. I am also looking at the investment in status quo technology used for streaming and wondering if there is a better way. I don't have the depth of knowledge you seek to give you a definitive opinion on the merit of this experiment sorry, but there is one context that validates this experiment that the detractors have missed. When you consider investing in computing technology you try to envision the technological need a year or two from now and not the need as it currently exists. In other words you try to 'future proof' your ROI; not just as a matter of a recoverable investment but also in terms of successfully competing with others as your investment depreciates over time right up until the day you have upgraded the last original component in your initial gaming/streaming configuration.

When applying these principles to the context of home-based gaming and streaming Linus' experiment appears to me to be completely valid as a tentative hypothesis, though I would stop short of wholly endorsing this solution without seeing it run in a streamers production environment. Someone will have to take that first step. Your guide is not Linus or any naysayers in the comments, your guide is where you think this use of technology will to take us.

As of this date in the final weeks of 2017 most people will agree that the words 'Twitch' and 'career' do not belong in the same sentence but that's always the nature of technological adoption; we tend to 'back into' our use of technology in unexpected ways. I doubt there is any one in this discussion who envisioned that 5 years into the future there will be people making a living playing games on line. As Marshall McLuhan said 50 years ago (when he predicted the internet) "We shape our tools and tools shape us". That is where we are headed. Their is fierce competition on Twitch for followers and that means ingenuity and figuring out how to more with less gives you an edge. You don't have to be a Twitch partner to realize that being a one-man media content producer is hard work and long hours and successfully competing means boosting your production values to give the subscribers and lurkers a better show than the next streamer. Either that means streamlining back-end production cycles by organizing with other streamers (which is already happening) or wringing more value out of the technology (which is also happening) like focusing on pretty-looking games in 4K or using auto closed-captioning to reach an international audience. So I just wanted to re-affirm that your query is a valid one and not take the opinions of those who may know the situation in present terms and assume that nothing will change in the foreseeable future (highly unlikely).

EUREKA!!!

I can do this. I can do this without a VM. I can do this without additional hardware. Linus you are a genius. I've been working on software that does pretty much this for half a year and didn't think to use it for this purpose. Yes, Manual Windows resource management is a pain but I already have half the code needed! I'mma add in streaming functionality immediately and then I'll put VM vs Software to the test. Best case would be no or minimal overhead compared to the VM!

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

tbh this thing will burn down your house before you can stream...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7980xe, Mobo, 64GB ram, cooler, 500GB NVME, handful of 12TB drives, 1080, case, PSU... will put you above $7400 USD.

Add in all the other items and you now have the dumbest PC build of 2017.

You can build the ultimate gaming PC + a TINY TINY mini itx PC to "stream" with for A FRACTION of the cost.

Still can't get over how stupid the video idea was lol.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

1 minute ago, ttam said:

7980xe, Mobo, 64GB ram, cooler, 500GB NVME, handful of 12TB drives, 1080, case, PSU... will put you above $7400 USD.

Add in all the other items and you now have the dumbest PC build of 2017.

You can build the ultimate gaming PC + a TINY TINY mini itx PC to "stream" with for A FRACTION of the cost.

Still can't get over how stupid the video idea was lol.

Or a single Ryzen 7 or Threadripper 1920X system.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.