Building the ULTIMATE Twitch Streaming PC!

did we switch back to midnight uploads without telling the viewers or is this just temporary?

12 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

did we switch back to midnight uploads without telling the viewers or is this just temporary?

Christmas screwed with the schedule a bit.

This was supposed to come out at noon today but Jibo had insane momentum and we didn't want to kill that early (since it had released at midnight last night).

We'll be back to normal soon-ish, but we've got CES coming up soon as well so our upload schedule will be all over the place for a while :)

Just now, nicklmg said:

Christmas screwed with the schedule a bit.

This was supposed to come out at noon today but Jibo had insane momentum and we didn't want to kill that early (since it had released at midnight last night).

We'll be back to normal soon-ish, but we've got CES coming up soon as well so our upload schedule will be all over the place for a while :)

yeah I got the reply on Youtube already, I know how the CES videos are, so how many videos do you think we will get this time before Linus loses his voice like he always does? #GetThatBoySomeVitaminCBeforeHeGetsOnThePlane

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

yeah I got the reply on Youtube already, I know how the CES videos are, so how many videos do you think we will get this time before Linus loses his voice like he always does? #GetThatBoySomeVitaminCBeforeHeGetsOnThePlane

Probably around the same as last year :P the human voice can only handle so much abuse lol.

3 minutes ago, m4n14c said:

Do we have more info for this, how to do it?

pretty sure LTT has done a few videos on setting up VM's in Unraid, start there.

Isn't there a way to just assign cores to programs without needing a VM?

Curious if I can use two monitors and use Synergy instead of running a KVM switch? 

I want some input from the community who understands things like virtualization and unraid a little better than I do. Do you feel like this is actually a good alternative to two separate PCs? How does it stack up price wise? Ergonomically, is sticking with two monitors and maybe a second keyboard/mouse still a good option as opposed to a KVM? Is unraid a necessary part of this, or could you limit it to just the gaming/streaming vm's if you're not recording or just back up any recordings with a simpler solution? Do you feel like this build could be better with Threadripper? Also, in the video Linus mentions that they used an OBS plugin instead of a capture card as a result of a 10Gb network connection. Is that because of their actual 10Gb office network or is he talking about something strictly within the 2-in-1 station?

I'm asking the question from the perspective of someone who would be interested in streaming and also thinking about upgrading their system in the near future. If I'm already thinking about upgrading chipsets, could this be a relatively easy transition as opposed to both upgrading my gaming pc and building a whole separate streaming pc at the same time? Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

Edit: To clarify once again, I'm not asking because I'm interested in actually doing this or getting into streaming myself. I bring my scenario up because I'm trying to illustrate the question from the perspective of someone without any strings attached. I'm solely asking for input from people who know a little more about the cost, time, and ergonomic effectiveness of this kind of thing than I do. This is a cool build, and it also seems more practical than some of the other overkill builds LMG has done, so I'm curious if the "cool" factor outweighs any potential headache or increase in cost that the LMG crew didn't bring up. 

No, I strongly recommend against it. That video is a serious 0/10 on every level. 

It's incredibly expensive to start. For just the price of the 7980XE you could buy yourself an 8700k system and a 1080 with all the tiddly bits you would need to stream. Not only would it be easier than trying to deal with unraid and vms.. it would just work much easier. Who the hell needs a stack of 12TB drives to stream when Twitch saves VODS for you?

It's just another video to show off all the expensive shit they can get from sponsors to do just dumb things with.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

30 minutes ago, wintercat said:

Video in question: 

I want some input from the community who understands things like virtualization and unraid a little better than I do. Do you feel like this is actually a good alternative to two separate PCs? How does it stack up price wise? Ergonomically, is sticking with two monitors and maybe a second keyboard/mouse still a good option as opposed to a KVM? Is unraid a necessary part of this, or could you limit it to just the gaming/streaming vm's if you're not recording or just back up any recordings with a simpler solution? Do you feel like this build could be better with Threadripper? Also, in the video Linus mentions that they used an OBS plugin instead of a capture card as a result of a 10Gb network connection. Is that because of their actual 10Gb office network or is he talking about something strictly within the 2-in-1 station?

I'm asking the question from the perspective of someone who would be interested in streaming and also thinking about upgrading their system in the near future. If I'm already thinking about upgrading chipsets, could this be a relatively easy transition as opposed to both upgrading my gaming pc and building a whole separate streaming pc at the same time? Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

If you're not already streaming, building this super expensive pc just so you can stream is pretty unrealistic. If you have a fairly decent gaming pc, you can totally just use OBS off of the one you have, and call it a day. If you do want to upgrade your pc though, it's probably not gonna be worth it to build this high end of a system, or even to use two separate computers for that matter. If you do want to upgrade your current PC, go ahead and post your current specs, budget, and uses for your new PC, and myself, and probably others, will help you pick a build.

Had a custom pc, but I traded it for a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 2070

10 minutes ago, Attona said:

If you're not already streaming, building this super expensive pc just so you can stream is pretty unrealistic. If you have a fairly decent gaming pc, you can totally just use OBS off of the one you have, and call it a day. If you do want to upgrade your pc though, it's probably not gonna be worth it to build this high end of a system, or even to use two separate computers for that matter. If you do want to upgrade your current PC, go ahead and post your current specs, budget, and uses for your new PC, and myself, and probably others, will help you pick a build.

Again, not interested in the viability for ME, just how this compares to 2 rigs for someone who doesn't already have 2 rigs.

This is a terrible idea and build...

I really don't see how this is an "ultimate" build in any way, much less an actual good idea.

Too little details. Do you have a channel? Do you have a following? Sub button?

If you want to try your hand at streaming the first step probably isn't spending a few thousand on a computer, especially with how oversaturated the pool of twitch streamers is nowadays. Everyone wants to be a Twitch partner, same as a YouTube partner... it takes a lot more then a rig.

I started streaming and ran a tiny little 25-30ish viewer channel back in Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) on an FX-6200, 8GB old g.skill RAM, and an GTX 580.

With all that said, if you sleep on pillows crafted from Benjamin's, or your bank account balance is the same length as the account number.... copy/paste his setup into Amazon and buy it all. Even if you don't end up streaming, man that build is sexy.

2 minutes ago, dronebynsa said:

Too little details. Do you have a channel? Do you have a following? Sub button?

If you want to try your hand at streaming the first step probably isn't spending a few thousand on a computer, especially with how oversaturated the pool of twitch streamers is nowadays. Everyone wants to be a Twitch partner, same as a YouTube partner... it takes a lot more then a rig.

1 hour ago, wintercat said:

Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

2 minutes ago, wintercat said:

Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

Sure, but you also said you're asking the question as someone interested in streaming or upgrading their PC.... so it kinda contradicted (in my opinion) so I answered how I saw fit. Just figured I'd answer from my experience if anyone else was wondering something similar. Feel free to disregard my reply.

1 minute ago, dronebynsa said:

Sure, but you also said you're asking the question as someone interested in streaming or upgrading their PC.... so it kinda contradicted (in my opinion) so I answered how I saw fit. Just figured I'd answer from my experience if anyone else was wondering something similar. Feel free to disregard my reply.

Sorry, I clarified a bit further now. I was using myself as an example more than anything else.

1 minute ago, wintercat said:

Sorry, I clarified a bit further now. I was using myself as an example more than anything else.

All good brotherman, much love. To be fair it's 6:50am my time and I just got off working a relatively busy overnight shift, so I probably overlooked your last sentence anyhow. I hope you get the input you're looking for!

Does anyone know if there is a product similar to the kvm mentioned here that does high bandwidth video signals? Just so I can connect a ps4 / pc to a single monitor(144hz 1440p asus 27incher that only has 1 video input). This kvm is kinda expensive.