Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

Building the ULTIMATE Twitch Streaming PC!

Recommended Posts

Good video


Post Cursed Images HERE

View my Hard Drive Tier and Review list here

 

Specs:
Core i5 8400

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2400MHz

Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Ultra Z370

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

Samsung 850 EVO 256GB Solid State Drive

Seagate FireCuda 2TB Hybrid

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W PSU

Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass Case

CoolerMaster Lite L RGB

Corsair Glaive RGB

ACER Predator XB1 4K Monitor from LMG

NZXT Hue+ 3 Pack 120AER RGB Fans

 

Server:

Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.4GHz (2 CPUs)

Nvidia Geforce 210

16GB DDR3 ECC Memory

1 2TB WD RED NAS Drive

2x 128GB SSD's

6x 1TB WD Enterprise Drives

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

did we switch back to midnight uploads without telling the viewers or is this just temporary?

Christmas screwed with the schedule a bit.

 

This was supposed to come out at noon today but Jibo had insane momentum and we didn't want to kill that early (since it had released at midnight last night).

 

We'll be back to normal soon-ish, but we've got CES coming up soon as well so our upload schedule will be all over the place for a while :)


Sign up for Floatplane. Do it. It's fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nicklmg said:

Christmas screwed with the schedule a bit.

 

This was supposed to come out at noon today but Jibo had insane momentum and we didn't want to kill that early (since it had released at midnight last night).

 

We'll be back to normal soon-ish, but we've got CES coming up soon as well so our upload schedule will be all over the place for a while :)

yeah I got the reply on Youtube already, I know how the CES videos are, so how many videos do you think we will get this time before Linus loses his voice like he always does? #GetThatBoySomeVitaminCBeforeHeGetsOnThePlane

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

yeah I got the reply on Youtube already, I know how the CES videos are, so how many videos do you think we will get this time before Linus loses his voice like he always does? #GetThatBoySomeVitaminCBeforeHeGetsOnThePlane

Probably around the same as last year :P the human voice can only handle so much abuse lol.


Sign up for Floatplane. Do it. It's fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Flopalop2 said:

Will someone explain how this is better than running everything on one OS?

qpKz5Nnl.png

complete "hardware" resource segregation. can't speak for everyone, but sometimes OBS and game engine performance gets affected by other programs in the background (including each other)

 

[2:41] "that way we could avoid the potential for scheduler conflicts without manually assigning CPU affinities in task manager like we would if we were doing both tasks on one OS"

8 minutes ago, Soaking said:

Curious if I can use two monitors and use Synergy instead of running a KVM switch? 

most likely. if they're available to each other via network (which is how they got the gaming VM to stream to the streaming VM) I'm pretty sure synergy would be able to ride the same tunnel

 

(bear)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want some input from the community who understands things like virtualization and unraid a little better than I do. Do you feel like this is actually a good alternative to two separate PCs? How does it stack up price wise? Ergonomically, is sticking with two monitors and maybe a second keyboard/mouse still a good option as opposed to a KVM? Is unraid a necessary part of this, or could you limit it to just the gaming/streaming vm's if you're not recording or just back up any recordings with a simpler solution? Do you feel like this build could be better with Threadripper? Also, in the video Linus mentions that they used an OBS plugin instead of a capture card as a result of a 10Gb network connection. Is that because of their actual 10Gb office network or is he talking about something strictly within the 2-in-1 station?

 

I'm asking the question from the perspective of someone who would be interested in streaming and also thinking about upgrading their system in the near future. If I'm already thinking about upgrading chipsets, could this be a relatively easy transition as opposed to both upgrading my gaming pc and building a whole separate streaming pc at the same time? Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

 

Edit: To clarify once again, I'm not asking because I'm interested in actually doing this or getting into streaming myself. I bring my scenario up because I'm trying to illustrate the question from the perspective of someone without any strings attached. I'm solely asking for input from people who know a little more about the cost, time, and ergonomic effectiveness of this kind of thing than I do. This is a cool build, and it also seems more practical than some of the other overkill builds LMG has done, so I'm curious if the "cool" factor outweighs any potential headache or increase in cost that the LMG crew didn't bring up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I strongly recommend against it. That video is a serious 0/10 on every level. 

 

It's incredibly expensive to start. For just the price of the 7980XE you could buy yourself an 8700k system and a 1080 with all the tiddly bits you would need to stream. Not only would it be easier than trying to deal with unraid and vms.. it would just work much easier. Who the hell needs a stack of 12TB drives to stream when Twitch saves VODS for you?

 

It's just another video to show off all the expensive shit they can get from sponsors to do just dumb things with.


X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wintercat said:

Video in question: 

 

I want some input from the community who understands things like virtualization and unraid a little better than I do. Do you feel like this is actually a good alternative to two separate PCs? How does it stack up price wise? Ergonomically, is sticking with two monitors and maybe a second keyboard/mouse still a good option as opposed to a KVM? Is unraid a necessary part of this, or could you limit it to just the gaming/streaming vm's if you're not recording or just back up any recordings with a simpler solution? Do you feel like this build could be better with Threadripper? Also, in the video Linus mentions that they used an OBS plugin instead of a capture card as a result of a 10Gb network connection. Is that because of their actual 10Gb office network or is he talking about something strictly within the 2-in-1 station?

 

I'm asking the question from the perspective of someone who would be interested in streaming and also thinking about upgrading their system in the near future. If I'm already thinking about upgrading chipsets, could this be a relatively easy transition as opposed to both upgrading my gaming pc and building a whole separate streaming pc at the same time? Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

If you're not already streaming, building this super expensive pc just so you can stream is pretty unrealistic. If you have a fairly decent gaming pc, you can totally just use OBS off of the one you have, and call it a day. If you do want to upgrade your pc though, it's probably not gonna be worth it to build this high end of a system, or even to use two separate computers for that matter. If you do want to upgrade your current PC, go ahead and post your current specs, budget, and uses for your new PC, and myself, and probably others, will help you pick a build.


AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (@3.85 GHz), ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Memory, InLand 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Toshsiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD, Asus Dual RX 580 4GB, NZXT h200i (Red), EVGA - B3 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Link to post
Share on other sites

If money and time isn't a question: yes

If business (yeah tell that to the people pre-twitch): yes

 

If EE: no.

 

44 minutes ago, ttam said:

Who the hell needs a stack of 12TB drives to stream when Twitch saves VODS for you?

People who don't want to wait for the internet bus to drive the videos back to them when they want to edit? o_o

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Attona said:

If you're not already streaming, building this super expensive pc just so you can stream is pretty unrealistic. If you have a fairly decent gaming pc, you can totally just use OBS off of the one you have, and call it a day. If you do want to upgrade your pc though, it's probably not gonna be worth it to build this high end of a system, or even to use two separate computers for that matter. If you do want to upgrade your current PC, go ahead and post your current specs, budget, and uses for your new PC, and myself, and probably others, will help you pick a build.

Again, not interested in the viability for ME, just how this compares to 2 rigs for someone who doesn't already have 2 rigs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wintercat said:

just how this compares to 2 rigs for someone who doesn't already have 2 rigs.

It'd be cheaper to go for 2 rigs IMO, although that'd depend on how much muscle do you want your stream encoding rig to have.

 

as for screen capture, either get a capture card, or LAN both PCs directly together and OBS both PCs (Game > Stream via NDI, Stream > internet) (of course for the LAN method you'd need both PCs to have two LAN ports each to connect both to the internet).

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a terrible idea and build...

I really don't see how this is an "ultimate" build in any way, much less an actual good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too little details. Do you have a channel? Do you have a following? Sub button?

 

If you want to try your hand at streaming the first step probably isn't spending a few thousand on a computer, especially with how oversaturated the pool of twitch streamers is nowadays. Everyone wants to be a Twitch partner, same as a YouTube partner... it takes a lot more then a rig.

 

I started streaming and ran a tiny little 25-30ish viewer channel back in Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) on an FX-6200, 8GB old g.skill RAM, and an GTX 580.

 

With all that said, if you sleep on pillows crafted from Benjamin's, or your bank account balance is the same length as the account number.... copy/paste his setup into Amazon and buy it all. Even if you don't end up streaming, man that build is sexy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dronebynsa said:

Too little details. Do you have a channel? Do you have a following? Sub button?

 

If you want to try your hand at streaming the first step probably isn't spending a few thousand on a computer, especially with how oversaturated the pool of twitch streamers is nowadays. Everyone wants to be a Twitch partner, same as a YouTube partner... it takes a lot more then a rig.

 

1 hour ago, wintercat said:

Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wintercat said:

Leave your advice on starting streaming at the door please, I don't intend to jump into streaming or drop any money on this. I'm just in a position right now where I've been curious about it.

Sure, but you also said you're asking the question as someone interested in streaming or upgrading their PC.... so it kinda contradicted (in my opinion) so I answered how I saw fit. Just figured I'd answer from my experience if anyone else was wondering something similar. Feel free to disregard my reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dronebynsa said:

Sure, but you also said you're asking the question as someone interested in streaming or upgrading their PC.... so it kinda contradicted (in my opinion) so I answered how I saw fit. Just figured I'd answer from my experience if anyone else was wondering something similar. Feel free to disregard my reply.

Sorry, I clarified a bit further now. I was using myself as an example more than anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×