Keyboard switches wobble. Is that normal?

Cyberspirit

Hey, I just noticed that when I take the keycaps off of my keyboard, I can wiggle the switches a little bit.

Is that normal? I thought they were sautered to a PCB.

The keyboard is an Asus ROG Claymore with Cherry MX Red switches.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Yeah, should be normal, my K70 LUX does the same.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

37 minutes ago, JDE said:

Yeah, should be normal, my K70 LUX does the same.

37 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

yes sadly

Ah alright, thanks. I thought they were swappable or something which would've been a pretty nice feature.

The switches themselves or the stems? I would think of course you mean switch, as that is the part that is soldered down, but the stem can wobble a bit.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

The switches themselves or the stems? I would think of course you mean switch, as that is the part that is soldered down, but the stem can wobble a bit.

The housing of the actual switch. 

The white thing on this picture:

Spoiler

IMG_20171228_163111.thumb.jpg.cf75c5b101dc7f056ec18f379b2d3000.jpg

2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

The housing of the actual switch. 

The white thing on this picture:

Hide contents

IMG_20171228_163111.thumb.jpg.cf75c5b101dc7f056ec18f379b2d3000.jpg

Where I work we had a Claymore and the actual switch housing (what you are talking about/picturing to me) only wobbled like 1mm side to side. My keyboard's switches don't move at all though (likely because of the different switch mounting).

So are you talking about more key wobble or not?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

Where I work we had a Claymore and the actual switch housing (what you are talking about/picturing to me) only wobbled like 1mm side to side. My keyboard's switches don't move at all though (likely because of the different switch mounting).

So are you talking about more key wobble or not?

Well, the keys themselves and the housings both move.

The housings move very little as you mentioned but, the keys wobble a lot more. It's not distracting I was just curious if this was normal.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Stem wobble is normal. Some switches have less than others. The new line of Kailh switches have very little.

It's not normal for the housing to wobble, however. Maybe you have a loose solder joint.

Is that a bad thing? It works just fine.

Yes - ALL key switches / stems wobble a bit - some more than others - its a design thing - .

as long as its not a lot and uncomfortable just get used to it /

FWIT - I find the cherry speed switches to have the least key wobble of all the keyboards I've tried

but overall - I'm loving the New Blackwidow Chroma V2 with the " New " Greetech " Razer greens.

lovely to type on

the Blackwidow Chroma V2 switches have some wobble but it's very minor - and the typing feel on the New Greetech Razer Greens is awesome and addictive .

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

6 hours ago, georgevar59 said:

Yes - ALL key switches / stems wobble a bit - some more than others - its a design thing - .

as long as its not a lot and uncomfortable just get used to it /

FWIT - I find the cherry speed switches to have the least key wobble of all the keyboards I've tried

but overall - I'm loving the New Blackwidow Chroma V2 with the " New " Greetech " Razer greens.

lovely to type on

the Blackwidow Chroma V2 switches have some wobble but it's very minor - and the typing feel on the New Greetech Razer Greens is awesome and addictive .

It doesn't bother me it just got me a little worried when I noticed it is all.

Honestly, I'd love to try out the green or blue switches because afaik those are the clickiest but this keyboard had everything else I needed except different switch types

and that didn't really bother me.

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

It doesn't bother me it just got me a little worried when I noticed it is all.

Honestly, I'd love to try out the green or blue switches because afaik those are the clickiest but this keyboard had everything else I needed except different switch types

and that didn't really bother me.

The New Razer Greens are great - Very even Click and feel across the entire board but like I said in my earlier post - of all the keyboards I've used - the one with the least key wobble is the Corsair K7o RGB Rapidfire with the Cherry MX Speed switches - very well built keyboard as well .

FWIT - for pure gaming I kinda lean towards the K70 Rapidfire - but I really miss the feel of the Clicky Razer greens so overall I'm staying with the clicky switches -

the Razer Greens are rated for 80 million clicks -

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

1 minute ago, georgevar59 said:

The New Razer Greens are great - Very even Click and feel across the entire boardbut like I said in my earlier post - of all the keyboards I've used - the one with the least key wobble is the Corsair K7o RGB Rapidfire with the Cherry MX Speed switches - very well built keyboard as well .

FWIT - for pure gaming I kinda lean towards the K70 Rapidfire - but I really miss the feel of the Clicky Razer greens so overall I'm staying with the clicky switches -

the Razer Greens are rated for 80 million clicks -

The main reason why I went with the Claymore is that it has a Hungarian layout and the Numpad is removable.

Hungarian and Tenkeyless keyboards are really rare so, this was my best option.

Even without the Numpad, this thing is huge because of the extra Hungarian keys so that kinda sucks but I absolutely love typing on it.

the claymore is great - enjoy :)

its normal unless you get a hyperexpensive topre keyboard. They are really good tho

PC SPECS:

Case: TT View 27 Black

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 SLI XTREME ATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k 

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz DDR4

PSU: Generic 800 Watt

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler(*oof*)

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

NON PC STUFF:

Monitor: Alienware 25 Freesync(i know i have an nvidia card)

kb: Corsair K65 Luxe with MX Red Switches(and a white backplate mod to enhance the RGB)

Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 700 at 1600 dpi

Audio: Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

RGB: Corsair Lighting Node Pro with corsair light strips