Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creiger

How complex of a flight stick do you need to play comfortably for this?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Right now I have one of these.

And while it seemed decent the last time I tried setting it up, there's so many keybinds I couldn't figure out what seemed vital to map and what was optional. Also seemed like most of the keyboard commands didn't work with the stick active for some reason, although that could have just been a 2.6 thing. I originally bought this stick for Elite, and it works fine for that, but I don't know if it's gonna carry over reliably to here so I may end up stuck with the KB/M route for an unforseen amount of time.

-This space intentionally left blank-

I wouldn't invest in a stick right now since it is still in development.

Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Main Rig: Intel i7-7700K 5GHz | Gigabyte Z170N | EVGA 1080 ACX 3.0 SC | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA P2 650W | Custom Loop

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

18 hours ago, Creiger said:

Right now I have one of these.

And while it seemed decent the last time I tried setting it up, there's so many keybinds I couldn't figure out what seemed vital to map and what was optional. Also seemed like most of the keyboard commands didn't work with the stick active for some reason, although that could have just been a 2.6 thing. I originally bought this stick for Elite, and it works fine for that, but I don't know if it's gonna carry over reliably to here so I may end up stuck with the KB/M route for an unforseen amount of time.

having 2 axis and a fire button is probably enough and everything else is just a bonus.

I have the whole Warthog HOTAS and that this still doesn't have enough buttons to map everything (not to mention trying to remember all 56 buttons and switches)

In the case of your joystick I'd configure:

• Trigger - Firegroup 1 & 2
  • Middle button - countermeasure
  • Right button - Missiles
  • Hat down - cycle countermeasures
  • Hat up - reticle focus
  • Hat Left  - cycle all targets
  • Hat right - cycle hostile targets

and use your keyboard for the rest.

Regarding your keyboard issue, I never ran into that sort of problem, however your joystick appears to be a rather old design and the PS3 bit might indicate a driver issue. If your issues persist with 3.0 you might want to google if other people had similar problems and possible solutions.

Squadron Leader of Odin's Wrath - LTT Conglomerate
Join our quest to conquer the galaxy! Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server (no install required)

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/28/2017 at 1:12 PM, Napper198 said:

having 2 axis and a fire button is probably enough and everything else is just a bonus.

I have the whole Warthog HOTAS and that this still doesn't have enough buttons to map everything (not to mention trying to remember all 56 buttons and switches)

In the case of your joystick I'd configure:

• Trigger - Firegroup 1 & 2
  • Middle button - countermeasure
  • Right button - Missiles
  • Hat down - cycle countermeasures
  • Hat up - reticle focus
  • Hat Left  - cycle all targets
  • Hat right - cycle hostile targets

and use your keyboard for the rest.

Regarding your keyboard issue, I never ran into that sort of problem, however your joystick appears to be a rather old design and the PS3 bit might indicate a driver issue. If your issues persist with 3.0 you might want to google if other people had similar problems and possible solutions.

Thanks for the advice! ^_^ I'll have to check and see if there were newer drivers than what were on the disc it had come with. My flightstick lingo's not on par, but are the hat directions for the little thing to the left of the center button?

-This space intentionally left blank-