Wireless Charging over the AIR!!!

Sakib Al Saba

we all have heard the rumour that apple might release a device capable of charging phones over the air, well that might just be possible very soon. it's invented by Energous and this technology had been approved by the FCC. what it does is it uses a radio frequency to transmit to a certain device at a distance using a field transmitter called WattUp which the company claims can charge a device which is equipped with a WattUp receiver. The original article is from tomsguide. here's the link : https://www.tomsguide.com/us/energous-wireless-charging-fcc-approval,news-26302.html

This is my very first post here on LTT forum :)

5 minutes ago, Sakib Al Saba said:

This is my very first post here on LTT forum

Then look at the rules beforehand, you need to fix formatting or mods will delete the thread.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

While I like the idea of completely wireless charging I'm sure this is going to be extremely slow and or have several more major problems

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hopefully they can put a capacitor in my brain so that I can charge up as I work and never have to sleep again! Pure profit! Minus the bitcoin mining they'll be doing using my internal cpu....

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

While I like the idea of completely wireless charging I'm sure this is going to be extremely slow and or have several more major problems

Even Fast Wireless Charging using 18W adaptor only charges at 10W wirelessly. So the power loss is abundant. More so when it's further away from the source.

And while QCing @18W my phone barely gets warm but while Wirelessly Quick Charging @10W with the QC2.0 Wall Adaptor my phone gets hot to the touch.

It's cool and all but this is definitely have some efficiency issues. They are probably directing the radio waves towards the charger but a lot of those aren't going to be picked up. 

If it's good enough to be able to charge faster than your phone battery drains that'd be insane, but I really doubt it. Efficiency concerns are too great, and even then I don't see the thing being portable enough to fit in a phone. If you look at the video that phone case is insanely thicc

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I wonder how this will affect the life of batteries, since I have a feeling someone will it charging 24/7.

With enough density throughout the world, there will be no need for batteries!

So basically, it's Tesla and his coil all over again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

With enough density throughout the world, there will be no need for batteries!

So basically, it's Tesla and his coil all over again.

True, and since the FCC green flagged the idea then the electrical interference is minimal to the point that other signals are not interrupted. I really hope this company has looked into pacemakers and if there are any issues.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I really hope this company has looked into pacemakers and if there are any issues.

Just on this alone, I can see products not coming for a good 10 years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Just on this alone, I can see products not coming for a good 10 years.

We'll see were they are since from the article they are looking to demonstrate their tech in CES 2018.

It's only 35% efficient if i'm not mistaken (theoretically without the losses of conventional methods) plus what it takes to make this happen and the interference possible.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I believe we can also "wirelessly charge" popcorn over the air and it pops, makes for quite a delicious treat.

Not sure I want my room filled with the same kind of "wireless charging over the air" waves around where I have other liquid based things that electromagnetic waves could agitate to the point of creating a current, like my brain, definitively don't want to turn that into a delicious treat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

nothing different from what Tesla patented  

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Image result for good idea doesn't work meme

sounds good actually if my phone like NEVER died.

But my parents would probably get triggered if I never put it down also if this could be done to PC's, laptops, and maybe even electric cars in the future that would be awesome 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Rumor has it that some of the energous products will do the rounds at CES 2018. I wanna see linus cover their stuff. Who's with me?

cool concept. it sounds like if you read the article that yes, it will be slow. and only work up to 3 feet. BUT it's a really cool concept/early adopter thing.

it will be interesting to see where this tech goes though!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 hours ago, Sakib Al Saba said:

*snip*

Thread moved to the Phones & Tablets section due to the thread not conforming to the Tech News posting guidelines.

Please take some time to read the guidelines and edit your thread for it to be moved back in the Tech news section ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

17 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Even Fast Wireless Charging using 18W adaptor only charges at 10W wirelessly. So the power loss is abundant. More so when it's further away from the source.

And while QCing @18W my phone barely gets warm but while Wirelessly Quick Charging @10W with the QC2.0 Wall Adaptor my phone gets hot to the touch.

Are you sure that's due to the charger and not due to the wireless pad switching between resonant and inductive mode based on the power provided? Qi supports both, and resonant charging is less efficient but also creates far less heat, so if you have a decent charger it may switch to resonant charging with the lower power charger.

11 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Tom's Guide:

I feel like we need to see what's the wavelength and power of this machine before we subject people to a marcospace microwave ._.

there's your CES 2018 techtuber bingo square

EDIT: oh nevermind:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/wattup-long-range-wireless-charging-fcc,36183.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/energous-wattup-wireless-charging-haier,27944.html

Not sure what the numbers mean, but not sure where to start the maths on this one, lol

(microwave frequency is 2.45GHz for reference)

I mean they got federal approval now, but this is one of the times I'd rather exercise caution rather than let some higher-up department say "eh looks good to us"

EDIT x2: oh nevermind, I just remembered microwave ovens are usually around 1000W. carry on, enterprise

Note older WiFi is also 2.4 GHz. As is Bluetooth, and a lot of relatively modernish wireless communications.

And the 5GHz wavelength they're using is used by newer WiFi and LTE cellular signals already.

Just because a certain wavelength is used for something scary, doesn't mean that it's dangerous.

I'm curious what they mean by "Push" though. Is that output power of the transmitter? Is that received power of the reciever? Is that final power output after it's voltage converted to be able to power the battery? 10-15 feet isn't very far, and even at that range 4W isn't very much power, about what you'd get from plugging into a USB 3.0 port on your computer... If that's not final power going into your battery, then you're not going to be getting much charge from this.