Help me choose a phone.

nohuevos

yeah, mine's still quite snappy. I think the only main reason to go for a more-recent phone right now would be if you were a serious mobile gamer. 

However, there are some fantastic newer phone's on the market now which will be slightly more powerful. LG G2, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X(lower specs, but still amazing device), Sony Xperia Z1. Each of these phone's has their own merits. I linked some videos if you are interested

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of the Moto X yet. I really do love the design of it but the camera isn't very good :(

The other phones look great too but I have quite small hands so something like the G2 and Note 3 would be out of the question.

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of the Moto X yet. I really do love the design of it but the camera isn't very good :(

The other phones look great too but I have quite small hands so something like the G2 and Note 3 would be out of the question.

hmmmm. The HTC one might be a good option then, it has a relatively small screen at 4.7 inches. I believe the Moto X got a software camera update, but I have no idea if/how much it improved.

I've read more about the Iphone 5S too, I was a little harsh on it before. It's specs really don't drag it down and it's excellent build quality.

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

hmmmm. The HTC one might be a good option then, it has a relatively small screen at 4.7 inches. I believe the Moto X got a software camera update, but I have no idea if/how much it improved.

I've read more about the Iphone 5S too, I was a little harsh on it before. It's specs really don't drag it down and it's excellent build quality.

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, the Iphone might work the best for me....

thanks for the input

Yeah, as much as I hate to say is the Iphone might work the best for me....

thanks for the input

np, good luck with your new phone!

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

Yeah, as much as I hate to say is the Iphone might work the best for me....

thanks for the input

Btw. iPhones are REALLY locked down. Android has features from the start that iPhone users can barely get by Jailbreaking (eg getting custom skins/launchers are impossible without jailbreaking an iPhone).

Everyone has iPhones at your school since they are nubs that believe that iPhones are the only/greatest mobile device on the planet. Shock them and get an Android device. HTC One is almost a year old, but its in no way out of date. Sense 5 is also a pretty great interface layer.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Do you like good sound, and quality? Then look no further than HTC One!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Nexus 5

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

I would go for anything with a Snapdragon 800. It's a monster. Xperia Z1 is a pretty awesome phone, but if you use your phone at a 45 degree angle then colours are going to be washed out. I personally look at my phone straight on, but it seems a lot of people are complaining about the viewing angles, so I can only assume they use it at a 45 degree angle.

I'm so torn! I feel like the only reason I want an Iphone is because I see everyone in my school walking around with one in their hand.

Let me ask this, can I really go wrong with any of those three phones?

No you can't. There all good, but all good at different things. The HTC brings build quality from Apple onto Android. The S4 is well, a flagship phone by Samsung. It's amoled and the camera is superb.

The Z1 has both build quality and, wait no the camera is shite (quality is good, but colours appear as though John Major edited them). Battery life is also awesome. I get more than a day out of it and I have around 3 hours screen on time.

So back on topic...

My parents are getting me and my sister new phones for Christmas and we are picking them out Monday so waiting really isn't an option.

Do you think the HTC One is still a viable option considering it's age? 

Sure. I'd say get a 4G LTE model with a contract but I don't really know the costs and how much mobile data is limited to. Here in the UK you can only get a 10Gb 4G LTE data plan I think.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I've had a lot of phones over the past few years, and moving from an iPhone to android was one the best things I done *(Bearing in mind at the time I was bit of an apple fanboy). Honestly, Android offers so much more, yes apples experience is slightly cleaner and finished, tied up in a bow, but android offers so much more flexibility! I'd seriously recommend the HTC One or Nexus 5. Both great phones, snappy and good looking. 

So back on topic...

My parents are getting me and my sister new phones for Christmas and we are picking them out Monday so waiting really isn't an option.

Do you think the HTC One is still a viable option considering it's age? 

I'll be honest.

For general purpose usage, any decent smartphone made in the last 3 years will perform fine. I recently gave my mother my old Galaxy S2 - after clearing out all of my old crap I ran a comparison test between it and my new Note 2 and there was literally no difference in performance.

So, personally, I'd focus more on the quality of the phone rather than its power. Aesthetic quality, build quality, sound quality, camera quality etc - all things in which the HTC One excel in my opinion. iPhone too.

I'd say overall HTC One would be my first recommendation. If you need a large screen, Sony Xperia Z Ultra. If you need a slightly less large screen and a stylus, Samsung Galaxy Note 3. If you want unparalleled audio quality, but an iPhone. (Though if you're really picky, newer iPhones actually perform slightly worse than their predecessors. iPhone 4 and 4S are widely considered the best)

Hope this helps. :)

Sure. I'd say get a 4G LTE model with a contract but I don't really know the costs and how much mobile data is limited to. Here in the UK you can only get a 10Gb 4G LTE data plan I think.

If you get a contract on Three, you can usually get the One Plan for £30-ish per month. That includes unlimited (hah, actually a limit of 1TB) data, 5000 texts and 2000 minutes call-time. Oh and tethering, because unless you get the One Plan you're not allowed to tether your phone.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

@Whiskers well true I have a HTC One X with the One plan its great I wouldn't want a 4G LTE plan until prices are around £25- £38 for it with a larger 4G mobile data plan. 6Gb of data isn't enough for me. I watch a lot of media and consume a lot of data. Tethering adding on since my ISP Talktalk suck their own balls for life.

You've officially described my data plan :3

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

@Whiskers well true I have a HTC One X with the One plan its great I wouldn't want a 4G LTE plan until prices are around £25- £38 for it with a larger 4G mobile data plan. 6Gb of data isn't enough for me. I watch a lot of media and consume a lot of data. Tethering adding on since my ISP Talktalk suck their own balls for life.

You've officially described my data plan :3

Sorry, forgot to elaborate - Three are introducing 4G into all contracts. So long as you have a 4G compatible device, you'll get 4G when they release it. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Sorry, forgot to elaborate - Three are introducing 4G into all contracts. So long as you have a 4G compatible device, you'll get 4G when they release it. :)

:( I have to wait till next year since my contract is 24months. I wanna sell an idea to Apple so they can make me a free phone it's superb the idea but not do-able right now. It'll probably be like the iPhone 8K.

4G is very nice and responsive.