What thermal paste to buy

AnTicXz

I have used my tube of arctic sliver 5 and wondering what I should do form here.  I have  ryzen 1600 and a 980ti extreme gaming and I'm thinking about going with liquid metal. i'm replacing the thermal paste on both.. AND NO my hotplates are not Aluminum they are both copper... What thermal paste should I buy. is the liquid metal to dangerous because i'm not scared of it... what do you think.?!??!

3 minutes ago, CODboyX said:

I'm thinking about going with liquid metal.

Don't use liquid metal as regular thermal paste. It's conductive and could brick your hardware if it leaks under the die.

I can recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua's paste (can't remember the name), and Gelid GC Extreme. Or just more Arctic Silver 5

4 minutes ago, CODboyX said:

AND NO my hotplates are not Aluminum they are both copper.

This only matters for liquid cooling loops :P

And if you do have a loop, your thermal paste in no way can cause galvanic corrosion because it will never interface the water.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Don't use liquid metal as regular thermal paste. It's conductive and could brick your hardware if it leaks under the die.

I can recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua's paste (can't remember the name), and Gelid GC Extreme. Or just more Arctic Silver 5

This only matters for liquid cooling loops :P

And if you do have a loop, your thermal paste in no way can cause galvanic corrosion because it will never interface the water.

No thermal grizzly liquid metal WILL oxidize the aluminum. with that paste you must have a copper plate that contact the it or it will actually chemically react 

19 minutes ago, CODboyX said:

I have used my tube of arctic sliver 5 and wondering what I should do form here.  I have  ryzen 1600 and a 980ti extreme gaming and I'm thinking about going with liquid metal. i'm replacing the thermal paste on both.. AND NO my hotplates are not Aluminum they are both copper... What thermal paste should I buy. is the liquid metal to dangerous because i'm not scared of it... what do you think.?!??!

I got a tube of NT-H1 not too long ago, it works very well. I'd definitely recommend it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Not IC Diamond or something else that's abrasive, when working with a bare die like on a graphics card.

If you want to spend for it, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut I guess. Hydronaut is just slightly worse but cheaper and easier to spread, so that may be better.

Otherwise, whatever something cheap you can kind like Arctic MX-4, Arctic Silver 5, Noctua NT-H1, etc.that is plentiful and popular.

THG extensive compound guide

Found here

Read it, follow it, make a decision for yourself as to which one you perfer.

IMO: I use noctua nt-h1, it's one of the better performers and it's dirt cheap.

Pretty much any name-brand paste works. Personally I use NT-H1.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv