OCCT GPU error checking - why isn't it more common?

A1Mike_W

I recently noticed a pattern with most tech Youtubers when it comes to overclocking cards for performance statistics and whatnot, and that is that I've never seen anyone more mainstream (Gamers Nexus, Jayz, Linus, etc.) use OCCT error checking for stability.

After a bit of digging, it's not hard to find individuals that swear by it (myself included, hence the curiosity), however I've yet to see it used in anything that isn't a very basic overclock guide or a tutorial for OCCT itself. I would imagine larger Youtube channels would want to promote good practice when it comes to overclocking, and yet the more I paid attention, the more I found that OCCT just isn't mentioned. In certain circles I've found it to be avoided like the plague.

There are plenty of arguments I've heard for not using it: 

1. No artefacts and no crashes = stable, even if OCCT spews out errors
  2. Trying to get 0 errors on OCCT would "limit" overclock
  3. "muh epeen"
  4. OCCT doesn't stress the card enough, or its synthetic load doesn't reflect actual use properly

To which I've always said:

1. OCCT detects hardware errors, hopefully long before they turn into artefacts that your eye can see, and so ignoring those because you can't see them yet isn't good practice
  2. "OCCT unstable" overclocks that don't necessarily bring about crashes could give more performance (I've yet to test this, or see it tested anywhere.) However, as seen with a memory overclock that is too high, sometimes the overclock can decrease performance as you raise it, and not going so harsh on your overclock can increase FPS. Even when OCCT doesn't show errors on memory overclock you can see this happening. However core clocks (in my experience) don't experience this, so the hardware errors racking up in the background and decreasing lifespan might not matter to someone who will upgrade their GPU a year or two from now.
  3. E-peen is unquestionable, everyone loves those MHz.
  4. You can run OCCT in the background while putting whatever load you want on your GPU to detect errors in your actual use. I've had overclocks which showed no errors on OCCT alone, however with heaven benchmark in the background I instantly got 100's of them coming up (hence why I always make it a rule to do my initial overclock with this setup). It hasn't been discussed anywhere to my knowledge, but from experience I can say that the error checking functionality remains functional if OCCT is running in the background, meaning you can check stability with every application you usually use.

So far the only reasons I'm happy with for NOT using OCCT are that the decreased lifespan just isn't an issue, and "MHz above all else" for those who want to have fun with their hardware. As for everything else, I don't get why OCCT has such a bad rep, or for that matter no rep at all.