$2,200 ITX 1080ti & 8700K build

I'm planning an ITX build for video editing and gaming during college. Over the past few years, I've been saving up enough money to finally build a dream PC of my own :)

This is my first build, so I fear I might be missing something obvious. This is why I am posting it here.

Budget: $2,500

Aim: Video editing and gaming, small enough for a carry-on at the airport, I'll be traveling a few times a year.

Monitors: I already have a 1440p 144hz monitor, and I plan on adding another one.

Why the upgrade: To have a powerhouse that can do everything I want it to, I am studying computer science and I edit videos, plus I plan on gaming a bit. 

Expected issues: The small form factor makes it have low airflow, which is why I opted for a blower-style 1080ti. In anticipation to those issues, I plan on purchasing 4 Noctua fans (2 120mm for push-pull, 2 140mm for case fans). I expect the PC to be warm, so overclocking might not reach the 5Ghz, but that's fine. The fans and the rad fit, I know because someone else already built it in the case this way here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($405.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($86.50 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($191.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($224.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card  ($714.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case  ($118.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($123.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.0 CFM  120mm Fan  ($24.73 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.0 CFM  120mm Fan  ($24.73 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.5 CFM  140mm Fan  ($26.89 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.5 CFM  140mm Fan  ($26.89 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2115.61

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-23 14:25 EST-0500

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Are you sure you want to carry a PC with tempered glass? There are some smaller cases, if you want that, albeit the more premium ones do cost more. 

That's a really overpriced Hynix RAM kit. You could get a Samsung B-die kit for less... Or you could get a $50 cheaper Hynix 3000MHz kit.

With a small case, you might want an M.2 SSD for the space savings. If you will benefit from it with content creation, you might want a 960 Evo.

If you have decent airflow in your case, you might want an open air GPU cooler?

:)

Hi,

For traveling I would recommend another case. The Silverstone Sugo SG13 or the Fractal Node 202. You would have to check clearance for the GPU and CPU cooler in those.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Are you sure you want to carry a PC with tempered glass? There are some smaller cases, if you want that, albeit the more premium ones do cost more. 

I've thought about this a lot. I worked at a factory where glass was tempered a few years ago, and I know how resilient the glass can be. But you are right. I was planning on getting a padded Pelican traveling case for it, but it makes more sense to avoid glass. I'll look for cases. Thanks for the tip!

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's a really overpriced Hynix RAM kit. You could get a Samsung B-die kit for less... Or you could get a $50 cheaper Hynix 3000MHz kit.

The cheapest CL14 B-die 16GB RAM sticks I can find are $210, and they are not low profile. I've read that CAS latency is more important in AMD builds, do you think I should try getting Samsung B-die even if I spend a bit more?

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

With a small case, you might want an M.2 SSD for the space savings. If you will benefit from it with content creation, you might want a 960 Evo.

M.2 960 EVO is too expensive for me, and this case can hold 2 2.5' drives, so I opted to save a bit on it.

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you have decent airflow in your case, you might want an open air GPU cooler?

The original plan was getting a EVGA FTW3, but multiple people posted that it was a tight fit and they had better thermals with a blower-style.

Thanks for all the tips!

You might consider an i7-8700 instead of the i7-8700K. Its performance is very close to the i7-8700K at stock with the advantage of a 65W TDP, eliminating the need for a high-end cpu cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

17 minutes ago, Sartre said:

The cheapest CL14 B-die 16GB RAM sticks I can find are $210, and they are not low profile. I've read that CAS latency is more important in AMD builds, do you think I should try getting Samsung B-die even if I spend a bit more?

Do you need low profile RAM? With a water cooler it shouldn't really matter, afaik. Nicer RAM can benefit Intel builds, but less than with Ryzen. A cheaper Hynix RAM kit will perform mostly the same. 

:)

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, Sartre said:

I'm planning an ITX build for video editing and gaming during college. Over the past few years, I've been saving up enough money to finally build a dream PC of my own :)

This is my first build, so I fear I might be missing something obvious. This is why I am posting it here.

Budget: $2,500

Aim: Video editing and gaming, small enough for a carry-on at the airport, I'll be traveling a few times a year.

Monitors: I already have a 1440p 144hz monitor, and I plan on adding another one.

Why the upgrade: To have a powerhouse that can do everything I want it to, I am studying computer science and I edit videos, plus I plan on gaming a bit. 

Expected issues: The small form factor makes it have low airflow, which is why I opted for a blower-style 1080ti. In anticipation to those issues, I plan on purchasing 4 Noctua fans (2 120mm for push-pull, 2 140mm for case fans). I expect the PC to be warm, so overclocking might not reach the 5Ghz, but that's fine. The fans and the rad fit, I know because someone else already built it in the case this way here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($405.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($86.50 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($191.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($224.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card  ($714.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case  ($118.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($123.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2115.61

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-23 14:25 EST-0500

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Looks like an awesome build but like others have stated the Evolv Shift while personally one of my favorite Micro ITX cases of all time it's more of a stationary desktop case.  

I don't move my pc a lot but I went with a Corsair Bulldog 2.0 at 20L technically it's smaller than the Evolv and I got the barebone kit with H6 SF AIO cooler, Z270 board (sold & replaced w/ z3700), and 600 PSU for only $195 shipped.  The case is all metal and has very good airflow 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"