Bent Corner on i7 8700k Processor, Should I bend it back?

Okay, so long story short, I helped my roommate put together his PC, a nice build with an 8700k and a z370 ROG mobo. From what I understand, after I left, he decided to disassemble the build to apply some new thermal paste, but while trying to install the processor, he must have mounted it wrong and not only bent a few pins on the motherboard, but also a corner of the processor. I have it in front of me now, unfortunately I don't have a camera good enough to display the damage, but it seems like only a single corner is bent. It looks as if there is a small micro fracture on the side of the bend so I'm really not sure what the state of the processor is, it might just be dead. He's given me both the processor and motherboard and said essentially that if I can fix them, I can have them. I plan on giving them back to him if they end up working, I just feel bad for the guy. Does anyone have any ideas or any experience on dealing with this issue?

I feel like I can fix the pins on the motherboard, he only bent about 3 and they haven't snapped, the processor is the real question.

To add to the list, there is also a bit of thermal paste on the pads of the processor, but I assume at this point this is just the tip of the iceberg. I was planning to just attack this (carefully of course) with some isopropyl alcohol.

If anyone can give some guidance it would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Isopropyl alcohol will indeed take care of the thermal paste on the pads. 

As for the possible crack in the CPU, the only thing you can try is to carefully bend it back and hope it doesn't snap. 

If you can straighten it out, test it.  If it doesn't boot, it's probably dead indeed. 

If you have access to another 8xxx series CPU, use that to verify that the socket is ok. 

the cpu is no where near to the corner of the "processor", the die is in the middle of it all.  The only thing you need to worry about is a broken landing spot for a pin, or a broken trace inside the pcb. If there isn't a damaged pin landing spot chances are it's fine and I wouldn't try bend it back into place, just leave it.  Isopropyl will work well for the TIM (thermal interface material).  As for the pins on the mb (motherboard) I'm pretty sure Linus did a video within the last year about fixing them, maybe it was Jayz but I'm sure it was Linus.  That is going to be the biggest problem if there isn't something broken on the cpu.  If the combo doesn't boot, don't throw anything out, make sure you can try a known good cpu on the "bad" mb, and the cpu in a known good mb.  There is no way to know which it is at this point.  (fyi the included info for acronyms is because I don't like seeing someone use one I don't know)

edit: It WAS Linus

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

pics? I would try to bend it back into shape, cuz really what do you have to lose?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I feel like trying to bend it back is the only possible solution, but does anyone have any ideas on how I might do this? At least give it the best chance of success

Thanks again for the help

Processor.jpg

10 minutes ago, Psittac said:

If there isn't a damaged pin landing spot chances are it's fine and I wouldn't try bend it back into place, just leave it

True, closing the retention bracket will probably flatten it out.  Still, that's going to put permanent stress on the PCB which might cause it to crack at a later date and potentially break a trace etc. 

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

What an idiot. Over $500 of top of the line hardware into the bin if it doesn't end up working.

C'mon man. Probably his first time building a PC, and he must've gotten excited. Don't gotta be a dick

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

just push down on it with delicate but deliberate force. you can touch the pads, the capacitors. you wont break anything.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, CarterJforbes said:

snip

Ah yeah I reckon that'll be fine. I thought the bend would be much worse. If I had it I'd throw it into a woodworker's vise to try and straighten that out, but you can probably just throw it into the socket. Given that it's bending up I don't think putting it in will damage the pins any more, and the retention bracket might straighten it out.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

2 minutes ago, catzambia said:

C'mon man. Probably his first time building a PC, and he must've gotten excited. Don't gotta be a dick

If he didn't know what he was doing, he should of asked his friend its a $400 CPU. Either-way he didn't need to take it out to change the thermal paste unless he was doing this:

GraciousActiveCoral-size_restricted.gif

lmao.

5 minutes ago, CarterJforbes said:

I feel like trying to bend it back is the only possible solution, but does anyone have any ideas on how I might do this? At least give it the best chance of success

ok, I was imagining something different, you probably should flatten that out.  Be careful though, couldn't even guess the best way to do it.

7 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

What an idiot. Over $500 of top of the line hardware into the bin if it doesn't end up working.

Your comment has absolutely zero value.

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

True, closing the retention bracket will probably flatten it out.  Still, that's going to put permanent stress on the PCB which might cause it to crack at a later date and potentially break a trace etc. 

agreed, it should be fixed first

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

7 minutes ago, CarterJforbes said:

Processor.jpg

That doesn't look too bad. I've seen worse get working

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

If he didn't know what he was doing, he should of asked his friend its a $400 CPU. Either-way he didn't need to take it out to change the thermal paste unless he was doing this:

lmao.

What value is this comment?

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

That doesn't look too bad. I've seen worse get working

agreed, just bend it out with pressure. don't use a tool. just find a flat sharp edge of a counter top, and flex it down until it's straight.

System specs:

1 minute ago, catzambia said:

Yeah but cleaning thermal paste off a cpu seems an awful good reason to take it out of the socket and have a look at it.

I lmaod at that gif

Go troll somewhere else, actual solutions required here.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Just now, Psittac said:

What value is this comment?

humour? and the "value" of this ^ comment is what exactly?

1 minute ago, catzambia said:

Yeah but cleaning thermal paste off a cpu seems an awful good reason to take it out of the socket and have a look at it.

Sarcasm? thermal paste is best cleaned off while the cpu is in the socket, for one its in a secure and stable position and two its a lot safer. See the TOP post for an example why :P

Alright, I'll try to give it a shot and see how flattening it goes. The mobo itself is just going to take me some time to fix, I'll give you the results. Thanks for all the help guys.

Just now, TrigrH said:

Sarcasm? thermal paste is best cleaned off while the cpu is in the socket, for one its in a secure and stable position and two its a lot safer. See the TOP post for an example why :P

Yes, I agree 100%. I'm saying that if I had just built my first PC I'd be wanting to hold every single part that I can. You read it different

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Just now, CarterJforbes said:

Alright, I'll try to give it a shot and see how flattening it goes. The mobo itself is just going to take me some time to fix, I'll give you the results. Thanks for all the help guys.

Good luck!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

He should have asked for my help with it, but I think he felt confident after I'd helped him build the pc and thought he could handle it. Everyone makes mistakes, it's just unfortunate that his was a $400 one.