Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

So what does this actually do? Will it stress my pc? Its my main computer I would rather not stress it beyond me being able to game on it.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

So what does this actually do? Will it stress my pc? Its my main computer I would rather not stress it beyond me being able to game on it.

It runs calculations using the unused processing power that your CPU and GPU have left over, and you can adjust the intensity of the processing. Honestly, I leave it on full 24/7, I often forget to turn it down when I go to play BF3 on ultra, and I only notice a very small dip in performance unless it is on a VERY large map.

You should be able to play most games while running it, especially if you turn it down to medium or lower. You can also mess with the settings to get it just right, it won't break anything.

Judging from the specs in your sig, you should be fine.

On another note, we have broken past rank 200! Congrats everyone! :lol:

I for one am extremely surprised that I have managed to climb to rank 118 on the team in the short time that I have been folding.

Lets see how high we can get!  :D

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

Basically i installed it joined the team and ran the stuff and now i don't know what to do. How can I make it faster? what are more advanced things i can do with this... someone needs to make a 100% complete guide.

Basically i installed it joined the team and ran the stuff and now i don't know what to do. How can I make it faster? what are more advanced things i can do with this... someone needs to make a 100% complete guide.

Once installed and running - that is it. :)  You cannot make it any faster other then buying faster hardware or by overclocking. And overclocking comes with it's own pros and cons. If you are interested in OC then you should head over to the appropriate hardware forum.

FYI - Folding seems to be fine with most CPU overclocks but can be VERY picky with GPU overclocks. If you do OC your GPU and start to get failed WU's, back down the OC on it.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thanks Whaler_99 I'm new to folding but not new to overclocking. I thought new beta updates or something where available and I could help out more. Currently im getting about 20-23PPD.

If you check the FAQ - the basics are in there for adding the Beta flag - Go into Advanced Mode, Configure, edit the GPU slots, add the variable "client-config" with a value of "beta".

This wouldn't be a normal install thing as sometimes you don't want the Beta. During the last beta test, running the Beta flag on NVidia cards actually tanked your PPD, due to the extreme openCL customization's they were trying for AMD. This current one though seems a lot better with NVidia cards.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I joined but it doesn't say my ppd. I gonna leave it on all night and see what it dose.

EDIT: Wait a minute... My ppd appears to be 12898. is that good for an FX 8150 and a HD 7950 both running at stock speeds?

Hey everyone. I've been following Linus for years, and it's probably about time I joined this folding team. I've been folding on the NCIX team for a couple years (10,000,000+ points), but this team seems a bit more fun! You've got my comp on board.

I joined but it doesn't say my ppd. I gonna leave it on all night and see what it dose.

EDIT: Wait a minute... My ppd appears to be 12898. is that good for an FX 8150 and a HD 7950 both running at stock speeds?

Welcome to the gang. Read the fact - make sure you have the Beta Flags set for extra points...

Hey everyone. I've been following Linus for years, and it's probably about time I joined this folding team. I've been folding on the NCIX team for a couple years (10,000,000+ points), but this team seems a bit more fun! You've got my comp on board.

Welcome on board!! Glad to have you.

Welcome to the gang. Read the fact - make sure you have the Beta Flags set for extra points...

I think I have everything all set up correctly now. Before I didn't have the team number and I was anonymous. Just one question, what is a beta flag? 

I think I have everything all set up correctly now. Before I didn't have the team number and I was anonymous. Just one question, what is a beta flag? 

You need to add a Beta Flag to your GPU to get the better projects. Review the FAQ stickied in here, describes what you need to do.

How can you check that you've signed up to the right team?

How can you check that you've signed up to the right team?

Here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=223518

You can see if you are on the list - you can also search for your user name.

You need to add a Beta Flag to your GPU to get the better projects. Review the FAQ stickied in here, describes what you need to do.

Holy crap! That makes gpu folding so much faster! Before it took like 24 hours to completer a WU. Now it only takes like 10.

Holy crap! That makes gpu folding so much faster! Before it took like 24 hours to completer a WU. Now it only takes like 10.

It's not that it is faster - the 7663 project is created to be optimized for AMD OpenCL, which most other are not. That's all. :)

Just dropping a line with my first post... joined (well, for about half a month at a time ^_^ ).

My Rigs (past and present)

Just dropping a line with my first post... joined (well, for about half a month at a time ^_^ ).

Welcome to the team! 

I joined and have been contributing for a few hours but I can't see my username in the statistics. Anyone know the cause why?

(I have double checked that I have the team code pasted - 223518 and made sure that it is working correctly)

It won't show up instantly, give it a day or two. The servers have to refresh first anyways.

I joined and have been contributing for a few hours but I can't see my username in the statistics. Anyone know the cause why?

(I have double checked that I have the team code pasted - 223518 and made sure that it is working correctly)

Welcome to the team. It requires typically one WU to be completed and then up to 24hrs for the database to be updated...

Joined! but wont be doing this everyday..

I don't want to let my laptop run hot for everyday.. sorry guys...

just joined and start folding today. Will see how it goes.

Joined! but wont be doing this everyday..

I don't want to let my laptop run hot for everyday.. sorry guys...

Welcome to the team. Every little bit helps.

just joined and start folding today. Will see how it goes.

Woot! Welcome.

I shall pretend I know what a WU is: Awesome, hopefully shouldn't be to long to update then :)

And thanks for the nice welcome :)

WU is what we refer to as a Work Unit - this is the "unit" your system downloads and works on, by "folding" it. The results are then submitted back... Your "ETA" shows how long to complete the current WU.