Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

woots, finally got my psu from corsair after more than a month of waiting, mini-Malossi is back in service! time to celebrate.

i see @ropesend has been really busy in the meanwhile mr.top point producer on the team :P, still folding on the same hardware?

I just joined. I've tried to get my passkey, but I never receive the e-mail. I've tried it 3 times now.

I just joined. I've tried to get my passkey, but I never receive the e-mail. I've tried it 3 times now.

Welcome to the Fold :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Give it a bit of time - sometimes with other issues things could be slow. Also, today is the day they are making changes to the BA projects, so things might be a little wonky. Just give it a day. You don't need until you have completed at least 10 CPU WU's. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

i have a hp laptop and hp compaq computer is it worth folding for me? is it possible? 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

i have a hp laptop and hp compaq computer is it worth folding for me? is it possible? 

you can fold on anything that is supported and capable of keeping the heat away, generally it isn't very recommended to do hardcore folding on laptops because they are mostly terrible at dissipating the heat, you could try folding with the chrome plugin medium/light and check your temps, otherwise it's possible to fold on anything that is still supported, you wont see high point return but you might aswell fold either way as long you want to.

there a small write up on the web app at the bottom of the 2nd post.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1091-for-folding-users-tips-tricks-and-faq-updated-march-2014/

im folding :D 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

nice going :), welcome to the team, that is if you remembered to add our team number 223518 ;), you will be supporting the cause either way though.

Welcome 

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

i got 20Wu now :D after months!!!!

How can i get that user award?

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

i got 20Wu now :D after months!!!!

How can i get that user award?

Its when you have over 21 WU.

Its when you have over 21 WU.

last time i checked it was 20........................ :D

eeeeeh i already contacted a mod

hmmmm i wonder what will he say

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

woots, finally got my psu from corsair after more than a month of waiting, mini-Malossi is back in service! time to celebrate.

i see @ropesend has been really busy in the meanwhile mr.top point producer on the team :P, still folding on the same hardware?

Yeah, I'm on the same systems, but its starting to get warmer and I don't have air conditioning, may have to cut things back for the summer.  May build a 4P system, it looks like a fun progect, Right now I get most of my production from my gaming rig.  Also glad to see your back faolding again!

Yeah, I'm on the same systems, but its starting to get warmer and I don't have air conditioning, may have to cut things back for the summer.  May build a 4P system, it looks like a fun progect, Right now I get most of my production from my gaming rig.  Also glad to see your back faolding again!

FYI - don't bother with 4p - project is ending at the end of the year. A multi GPU solution is the way to go...  But then you still have heat output. BTW - my 4P units put out a lot more heat then my GPU's ever did. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

FYI - don't bother with 4p - project is ending at the end of the year. A multi GPU solution is the way to go...  But then you still have heat output. BTW - my 4P units put out a lot more heat then my GPU's ever did. :)

Thanks, for the heads up, maybe I'll rethink my plan.  It was largely the appeal of having a system with a massive number of cores that appealed to me, if it won't fold well then there isn't much point I guess.  Are you no longer folding a lot or are you folding under a different user name?

Thanks, for the heads up, maybe I'll rethink my plan.  It was largely the appeal of having a system with a massive number of cores that appealed to me, if it won't fold well then there isn't much point I guess.  Are you no longer folding a lot or are you folding under a different user name?

I am mostly Folding with the Chrome up on a bunch of systems testing right now - hence why my points are not going up very quickly, yet my completed WU's is. :)

heh thanks, but as you said heat is becoming an increasing problem, i will fold for as long as i possibly can, it is roughly 30*c inside and it is rather draining, i might be able to keep it up most of the time and just shut it down when it's especially toasty outside, i won't start modifying the house and cut holes in the walls just yet considering i might be moving in the somewhat near future :P.

and i was about to mention that about the bigadv projects, while i think multi cpu machines are awesome, especially 4p are just really cool, when it comes to folding they are less and less appealing due to the whole mess with the BA project, point return will be less than half, but most importantly it's just a tiny bit less fun knowing you are doing normal work units as opposed to bigadv :P.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got my badge, time to work on 1 mill points now

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

i just got my badge, time to work on 1 mill points now

GG  :D keep on folding

fractal define r4 - msi z77 mpower - i5 3570k 4.5ghz -alphacool water cooling+noctua -gtx 780ti-1323mhz-1.25v - corsair ax760i -vertex 4 120gb x2 - 840 evo 500gb - asus xonar dgx 

corsair k70 - logitech g502 - sennheiser game zero - logitech z906 5.1 -samsung 46" iiyama 27"144hz - http://gabegaming.com/

Sorry was away for a month or more but back into the Fold now (Tim_Kelly)

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

Here are my Winter Rates:

Electricity:
*Off-peak Winter 0.072000 
*Mid-peak Winter 0.109000
*On-peak Winter 0.129000 

We are billed different amounts based on time of day...

That's frigging expensive

Here it's 5 cents for one kWh

That's frigging expensive

Here it's 5 cents for one kWh

lol, how in the world is that expensive? you guys have it cheap, his on peak most expensive electricity at winter is still substantially lower than the average down here, that is assuming he is using dollars.

I think the WU's required for the Member badge needs to be reworked. I have 90k points and >550 WU's all from the Chrome App.

Also yesterday I got ~40k points from 12 hours of light folding. Way more than I usually get. Don't know what happened there.

Woooo 1 Million points! 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz