Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

@Whaler_99 WOW your number 1 nice great job :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

@Whaler_99 WOW your number 1 nice great job :D

You need to complete at least one WU and then give it 24hrs for the stats servers to update. After that, you should start to show up.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You need to complete at least one WU and then give it 24hrs for the stats servers to update. After that, you should start to show up.

how do i know if i have 1 WU?

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Hmmm... you won't... until a stat site updates? :)   Or you run HFM.NET locally...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Top 200 Yey :D  :D  :D

post-37251-0-45965700-1394049043.png

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

Million points achieved :) next stop 25 million, this may take a while. 

Awesome job!

@Whaler_99

if i have no screen saver setup will my computer fold in idle?

and is my sleep disabled when the app is running?

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

@Whaler_99

if i have no screen saver setup will my computer fold in idle?

and is my sleep disabled when the app is running?

when folding you need to disable sleep/hibernate yourself so that your computer doesn't turn off instead of doing number crunching, you should also put a screen saver on 1-5 minutes or so so that it starts folding in idle quickly without wasting to much time, you don't HAVE to have a screen saver, your screen going black/wait modus/turning off should be enough, if anything a black screen is better than a screen saver as screen savers don't make any sense and use resources.

when folding you need to disable sleep/hibernate yourself so that your computer doesn't turn off instead of doing number crunching, you should also put a screen saver on 1-5 minutes or so so that it starts folding in idle quickly without wasting to much time, you don't HAVE to have a screen saver, your screen going black/wait modus/turning off should be enough, if anything a black screen is better than a screen saver as screen savers don't make any sense and use resources.

1 more thing when its folding in idle which rate is it folding at medium,full or light?   >>>>> in default i didn't touch the settings  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

1 more thing when its folding in idle which rate is it folding at medium,full or light?   >>>>> in default i didn't touch the settings  

Folding at "idle" means when using your computer, nothing happens. But, when your computer is "idle" it folds at 100%. All the various settings, light, medium, etc. control folding while you are using your system, but they all ramp to 100% system usage when you PC is "idle"

Folding at "idle" means when using your computer, nothing happens. But, when your computer is "idle" it folds at 100%. All the various settings, light, medium, etc. control folding while you are using your system, but they all ramp to 100% system usage when you PC is "idle"

how do i change that because i don't want it to go 100% and also to use my gpu as it might die any day because well it already died once and i had to cook it in the oven to bring it back to life and i won't buy a new one until GTX 860 comes out  :D so it should live on till then

back to the topic i want to change both the settings of gpu utilization and cpu utilization.Is it possible to change them?

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

awesome good job  :D and i will try to appear in the list 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

I've just joined, and I'm getting about 2,311 PPD on medium/light. Not sure if this is good?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I've just joined, and I'm getting about 2,311 PPD on medium/light. Not sure if this is good?

That is good, for light...

how do i change that because i don't want it to go 100% and also to use my gpu as it might die any day because well it already died once and i had to cook it in the oven to bring it back to life and i won't buy a new one until GTX 860 comes out  :D so it should live on till then

back to the topic i want to change both the settings of gpu utilization and cpu utilization.Is it possible to change them?

Unfortunately you are stuck. GPU folding only has two settings - on or off. Either you fold at 100% on the GPU or not at all. Same with CPU, various settings for while you are using it, but when system goes idle, goes to 100%. Now, couple things you can do here. Say you have 4 cores. FAH probably has the CPU slot set to use 3. Reduce it to 2. This will in turn reduce overall load, at 100% folding...

Unfortunately you are stuck. GPU folding only has two settings - on or off. Either you fold at 100% on the GPU or not at all. Same with CPU, various settings for while you are using it, but when system goes idle, goes to 100%. Now, couple things you can do here. Say you have 4 cores. FAH probably has the CPU slot set to use 3. Reduce it to 2. This will in turn reduce overall load, at 100% folding...

ooohk thanks 

so i thought the best thing i could do is keep it at idle light

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Is it OK to just lock your computer, close your screen and go on with your day? Will the PC still fold 100%? That's what I do

ive started folding now gpu and cpu, (r9 290, 4770k) just wondering is it safe to fold cpu whilst i browse the web (youtube) and light applications? or should i disable the cpu folding whilst im using it? 

Thanks.

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz

ive started folding now gpu and cpu, (r9 290, 4770k) just wondering is it safe to fold cpu whilst i browse the web (youtube) and light applications? or should i disable the cpu folding whilst im using it? 

Thanks.

lmao it's fine

Thanks.

yeah its okay but if your cpu is at 100% that is full then keep it at medium then go with your day because if you don't it will start annoying and the pc will get slow 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

yeah its okay but if your cpu is at 100% that is full then keep it at medium then go with your day because if you don't it will start annoying and the pc will get slow 

Thanks i lowered it down to 90% just to be on the safe side. 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz

I just joined. I'll fold for as long as I can per day. I can't do it all the time. But I'll do my best. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Is it OK to just lock your computer, close your screen and go on with your day? Will the PC still fold 100%? That's what I do

That's perfect...

I just joined. I'll fold for as long as I can per day. I can't do it all the time. But I'll do my best. 

Welcome!