Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Also, I'm running a 3930k at 4.3GHz and a gtx 680 at stock, I hope that can contribute decently :)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I've joined up , I've underclocked my 560ti to keep temps and fan noise down.

Running at 650mhz instead of stock 825mhz, means I can get sleep and leave the machine on  reduced the PPD by 25% but still getting good numbers. I've set affinity to use only 4 cores. Which for some reason, doesn't have an effect on CPU PPD

28k PPD during day, 55k PPD at night when 660ti water cooled Is turned on.

Joined two days ago thanks for this FAQ

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

Hey :) I posted several weeks ago saying I was going to start folding but I just now got into it (I didn't think it would be that easy to start :P )

The web client says the GPU is "waiting for idle." is there a way to get it to do work when it's not on the screensaver or do I just need to turn the resource usage slider up?

Also, is there a way to "pause" the folding client temporarily? Say while I go to render a video or play a game?

And one last thing (last question I swear), does folding require any kind of operator input other that just starting it? Like once my computer finishes a work unit (I hope that's the right terminology), do I have to tell it to start another? or will it just do it?

The only way to get it to work when say Idle - move the slider to Full. Then everything runs at full power. Just an FYI - at Medium (the default) your CPU's churn away, but not at 100% either. They only do that, when screen saver kicks in.

To "pause" your client - just slid the slider to Off - then it is paused. Once done your gaming, slid back to Medium or Full.

Once started - it folds away - as WU's are completed, it submits them and downloads the next one...

Also, I'm running a 3930k at 4.3GHz and a gtx 680 at stock, I hope that can contribute decently :)

YA! That should net you some pretty sweet PPD.  :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I've joined up , I've underclocked my 560ti to keep temps and fan noise down.

Running at 650mhz instead of stock 825mhz, means I can get sleep and leave the machine on  reduced the PPD by 25% but still getting good numbers. I've set affinity to use only 4 cores. Which for some reason, doesn't have an effect on CPU PPD

28k PPD during day, 55k PPD at night when 660ti water cooled Is turned on.

Great numbers! Welcome to the team.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Joined two days ago thanks for this FAQ

Glad it was of help and welcome to the gang!

Thanks for the guide! Set up my two home computers, hope they help.

Thanks for the guide! Set up my two home computers, hope they help.

Welcome to the gang!

Just joined then team on my main gaming rig with more computers to come in the future.  Also, don't know if anyone can fix it but the link to the TechTips forum on the folding@home team page looks like it got broken from the forum change.

im in

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Hello Gentlefolk, I am new to folding (and the forum here in general) so far only at 15K points per day, but, who knew that GPUs can actually function as CPUs? Running i5 3570k @ 4678.20MHz and Dual 7850's at 920MHz. Temps on the GPU is about 60C and the CPU is holding steady around 50C is that good? Should I be worried?

NZXT H440, Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz (H90 AIO), MSI 780Ti, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, 16GB Corsair Venegance LP DDR4 @ 3000, Corsair RM750 PSU, Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) 2x WD Blue 1TB drives in RAID 1, 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 

Just set up one of my spare servers using the Linux image. Joined the team and everything. Love the web interface config, don't have to worry about SSH or FTP or anything!

Will report back soon with my PPD and other stats.

Currently running an AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 3.5Ghz.

I have a spare GT 240 laying around that I could throw in, and I might use my main gaming rig (see my sig for specs) as well when I'm idle and at night.

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

Just joined then team on my main gaming rig with more computers to come in the future.  Also, don't know if anyone can fix it but the link to the TechTips forum on the folding@home team page looks like it got broken from the forum change.

Welcome and thanks - I will take a look at that.

im in

Welcome, welcome!

Hello Gentlefolk, I am new to folding (and the forum here in general) so far only at 15K points per day, but, who knew that GPUs can actually function as CPUs? Running i5 3570k @ 4678.20MHz and Dual 7850's at 920MHz. Temps on the GPU is about 60C and the CPU is holding steady around 50C is that good? Should I be worried?

Nope - those temps look ok. Welcome to the gang and the forum!

Just set up one of my spare servers using the Linux image. Joined the team and everything. Love the web interface config, don't have to worry about SSH or FTP or anything!

Will report back soon with my PPD and other stats.

Currently running an AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 3.5Ghz.

I have a spare GT 240 laying around that I could throw in, and I might use my main gaming rig (see my sig for specs) as well when I'm idle and at night.

Nice - and welcome. Ya, that HTTP config site is pretty handy. Only thing, it still uses a v6 client and hasn't been updated to a v7 yet - which might yeild a few more PPD... who knows...

I installed the Windows software on my gaming rig and have had it running for a few hours, GPU and CPU.

It did make me notice that my system is only detecting 1 of my 2 GPUs, so it looks like I will have to work on that tomorrow. Could just be a VBIOS problem. I hope its nothing serious.

Also, is it normal for a GPU to only be putting out around 3000 PPD while my total is around 21000? (obviously the other 18000 is being performed by my CPU).

Another question, I try to add my dedicated box (Linux image from the site) to my clients list in FAHControl but it stalls on "Connecting" and never manages to make a connection. Is there something else that I am forgetting to do other than set the IP and port? Do I have to edit a config on the box itself?

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

just a quick question if anyone can answer, what hardware is mainly utilised when 'folding' ...  cpus with lots of cores? gpu? 

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I installed the Windows software on my gaming rig and have had it running for a few hours, GPU and CPU.

It did make me notice that my system is only detecting 1 of my 2 GPUs, so it looks like I will have to work on that tomorrow. Could just be a VBIOS problem. I hope its nothing serious.

Also, is it normal for a GPU to only be putting out around 3000 PPD while my total is around 21000? (obviously the other 18000 is being performed by my CPU).

Another question, I try to add my dedicated box (Linux image from the site) to my clients list in FAHControl but it stalls on "Connecting" and never manages to make a connection. Is there something else that I am forgetting to do other than set the IP and port? Do I have to edit a config on the box itself?

First - FAH typically sets the CPU to one less then your logical count in Windows. You can manual change it in Advanced View, edit Slot, and change the -1 to how ever many logical one you have. BUT if you have AMD GPU, then leave it - AMD needs some extra processing power...

As for your PPD - sounds like you do have a AMD card. :)  They are getting rather low PPD right now...

What version of FAH on the linux? Also, I never actually tried adding my Linux client to Windows FAH - just to HFM.NET. Make sure the proper port is open on the linux box maybe?

just a quick question if anyone can answer, what hardware is mainly utilised when 'folding' ...  cpus with lots of cores? gpu? 

Couple of things... on a "standard: rig most people run - NVidia GPU generate the best PPD, followed by CPU, then AMD GPU. But, for hardcore PPD, you need to get in +16 core CPU only folders. These guys get access to BIGADV projects that yeild lots of points. They are also more efficient overall from cost and power perspective then the equivalent general CPU/GPU systems...

First - FAH typically sets the CPU to one less then your logical count in Windows. You can manual change it in Advanced View, edit Slot, and change the -1 to how ever many logical one you have. BUT if you have AMD GPU, then leave it - AMD needs some extra processing power...

As for your PPD - sounds like you do have a AMD card. :)  They are getting rather low PPD right now...

What version of FAH on the linux? Also, I never actually tried adding my Linux client to Windows FAH - just to HFM.NET. Make sure the proper port is open on the linux box maybe?

I do have an AMD card, so that would explain it.

I am using the 1.3.4 native Linux image.

It would seem odd to have to forward the port for a local connection, but I will give it a shot.

EDIT:

Nope, forwarding didn't change anything. I'll have to throw a head on it when I get the time and fish around for config files or something. At least they included BusyBox in the image  :lol:

Zephyr:

Woo finally 2 million.

Congrats! :)

Just joined the team and started folding, would just like to have something clarified.

Right now all I am doing is browsing the forum (So my GPU should be idle pretty much) however Afterburner is showing it to be 100% Load, which I suspect is because F@H is taking advantage of the fact I'm not currently using it.

What I need clarifying is: If I were to load a game or something up now, would F@H use less GPU power because it would realise It was no longer "Idle" and the GPU was needed elsewhere?

Just joined the team and started folding, would just like to have something clarified.

Right now all I am doing is browsing the forum (So my GPU should be idle pretty much) however Afterburner is showing it to be 100% Load, which I suspect is because F@H is taking advantage of the fact I'm not currently using it.

What I need clarifying is: If I were to load a game or something up now, would F@H use less GPU power because it would realise It was no longer "Idle" and the GPU was needed elsewhere?

Welcome to the team. The new version of FAH is controlled by a slider. I would suspect your slider is right now on FULL. The only time your GPU would be folding if not idle is when on Full. If you move the slider to medium, if will use a bit less of the CPU and stop folding on the GPU. It will then only fold on the GPU when you system goes idle. I have my screen saver timeout set for 5 minutes. Honestly though, most of the time I run mine on Full - as it doesn't much effect performance. I turn it down only when playing a game... Heck, if playing a game I know doesn't take advantage of XFire, like World of Tank, I can just pause the primary GPU folding, let the game use that, and continue to folding on the secondary GPU.