Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Hy guys i just installed this and really looking forward to be a part of this team :)

can u tell me how can i check if i am on the linus tec tips team?????

- Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure -

CPU   : Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz  |  Cooler  : C orsair H110 |  Motherboard  : Asus  ROG Maximus VI Formula | RAM : Kingston   HyperX 8GB * 4 (32GB) |  VGA  : 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X in CROSSFIR E | SSD : 2x  Intel 530 Series 120GB SSD in RAID0

Storage  : Western Digital Caviar Black  2TB | PSU : Coole rmaster Silent Pro M2 1000W | Chassis : Coolermaster Cosmos SE 

Hy guys i just installed this and really looking forward to be a part of this team :) can u tell me how can i check if i am on the linus tec tips team?????

You need to open the Advanced Control. Then go to Configure button, click the Identity button - make sure the Team number 223518 - your all set.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hy guys i just installed this and really looking forward to be a part of this team :) can u tell me how can i check if i am on the linus tec tips team?????
You need to open the Advanced Control. Then go to Configure button' date=' click the Identity button - make sure the Team number 223518 - your all set. [/quote']

Thnx bro got it :)

- Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure -

CPU   : Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz  |  Cooler  : C orsair H110 |  Motherboard  : Asus  ROG Maximus VI Formula | RAM : Kingston   HyperX 8GB * 4 (32GB) |  VGA  : 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X in CROSSFIR E | SSD : 2x  Intel 530 Series 120GB SSD in RAID0

Storage  : Western Digital Caviar Black  2TB | PSU : Coole rmaster Silent Pro M2 1000W | Chassis : Coolermaster Cosmos SE 

I joined' date=' hope I got this working :D[/quote']

Welcome to the party! :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I downloaded the Windows Installer (I have Windows 8) and ran it. Then I clicked "allow" or what ever it was' date=' and then nothing happened. No installation process popped up. I was going to dedicate my laptop just for folding@home once I build my gaming rig. That might be hard if I can't install it on my laptop. [/quote']

Try downloading the installer directly onto your desktop - the try running it from there?

I just redownloaded it and it is working! Installing now. Won't be able to contribute 24/7 but every bit should help.

Space is pretty awesome.

Just joined the team!!! I have set up two computers; One of my old computers i5 2500 and an AMD 6450 running at Full 24x7 and my main rig i7 2600k @ 4.6 Ghz and 2 x Asus GTX 680 4Gb. This one is only going to be run when I'm not gaming. (Also depends on the game' date=' if its not an intense game i may be able to run at medium while gaming). F@H has indicated that my main rig on full can achieve over 75000 points per day. Is this correct? It from the scores I have seen people posting it seems a little high. [/quote']

The thing to remember is different WU's can give you different PPD. So you might have got some really good WU's and your PPD is higher then normal right now. But, that 680 itself will give you a LOT of PPD on its own. :)

Just broke the top 50 in three days!!!! Go GTX680's!!!

Is it normal for the gpu to out perform your cpu by a mile, or is this just a sign i should upgrade my cpu. i have a windforce gtx 670 and a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black edition

Is it normal for the gpu to out perform your cpu by a mile' date=' or is this just a sign i should upgrade my cpu. i have a windforce gtx 670 and a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black edition [/quote']

Yes, most times the GPU do exceed the CPU in PPD - GPU cores are very good at Folding. If you have something like a 3570k and a GT610, then it would be the other waya round, but that is not normally the case....

It says I got a 51525 PPD, but when I checked the Team Leader Board, I didn't see my name? Any ideas? I only started 20mins or so ago, does it just take time to update?

Also, HOLY CRAP! My GTX 680 was at 55C! With all my fans on full too!

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

It says I got a 51525 PPD' date=' but when I checked the Team Leader Board, I didn't see my name? Any ideas? I only started 20mins or so ago, does it just take time to update? Also, HOLY CRAP! My GTX 680 was at 55C! With all my fans on full too! [/quote']

Can take 24-48 hours for you to show up on the Stat sites. Also, yes, folding will max out those temps. :)

I Just joined :). Gets kinda hot though ... and loud.

WOW! Welcome to the team. And how many GPU's you got in that rig? This is the main issue with folding, venting heat and the noise...

WOW! Welcome to the team. And how many GPU's you got in that rig? This is the main issue with folding' date=' venting heat and the noise...[/quote']

I've got 2 x GTX690 and a i7 2600K OC'd at 4.5Ghz. I've turned the noise down also.

Anyway, I guess the PPD was that high because I just started, now it went down to about 97K PPD, still happy though :)

I'm gonna fold as much as I can, but it's gonna be only mostly in weekends (24h) and about 4-5 hrs on other days :(

post-15581-13667862444462_thumb.png

post-15581-13667862444622_thumb.png

WOW! Welcome to the team. And how many GPU's you got in that rig? This is the main issue with folding' date=' venting heat and the noise...[/quote'] I've got 2 x GTX690 and a i7 2600K OC'd at 4.5Ghz. I've turned the noise down also. Anyway, I guess the PPD was that high because I just started, now it went down to about 97K PPD, still happy though :) I'm gonna fold as much as I can, but it's gonna be only mostly in weekends (24h) and about 4-5 hrs on other days :(

Every little bit helps. And also to be aware - AND EVERYONE ELSE - for the next week, please use team number 32. We are supporting overclockers.com in the Chip Challenge. So, till next Sunday or Monday - run with team 32 - then switch back to the LTT team - 223518. That's all you need to change.

Was skeptical to join, but the process was so fast, I feel kinda bad for not joining the folding team earlier! I do hope I did it right though :P

Hopefully when I get some old servers from my neighbour, I will be able to donate them to the folding team, either running them myself or sending then off to Whaler_99, we'll see though :)

(Also what does it mean when my GPU is "waiting for idle"?)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Was skeptical to join' date=' but the process was so fast, I feel kinda bad for not joining the folding team earlier! I do hope I did it right though :P Hopefully when I get some old servers from my neighbour, I will be able to donate them to the folding team, either running them myself or sending then off to Whaler_99, we'll see though :) (Also what does it mean when my GPU is "waiting for idle"?) [/quote']

Awesome - welcome to the team. :) As for donations, depends what they are - can maybe some... have to see..

As for waiting for Idle - the new v7 client had a slider bar. Probably sitting at Medium right now. So, means CPU runs at medium and GPU will run when your system is idle. Basically when you screen saver comes on. If you move it to Full, your GPU will kick in, but may notice some lag...

Just got it all set up.

Unfortunately my current computer is pretty weak, so it probably won't be able to add much to the project. But that'll hopefully change sometime soon. :)

For anyone wondering, it's an Intel Pentium dual core 2GHz, with 2GB RAM and Intel Integrated Graphics. Yeaaaaahhhhh... I bet you're all jealous! ;)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just got it all set up. Unfortunately my current computer is pretty weak' date=' so it probably won't be able to add much to the project. But that'll hopefully change sometime soon. :) For anyone wondering, it's an Intel Pentium dual core 2GHz, with 2GB RAM and Intel Integrated Graphics. Yeaaaaahhhhh... I bet you're all jealous! ;)[/quote']

Welcome to the team. As I tell everyone - it's about contributing, little or large, every little bit helps!

And yes, I'm jelly :D

I joined the team.

CPU: AMD 8120 @3.5 Ghz - PPD 1533

GPU: MSI R7850 2GB - PPD 1839

I don't know if this will help, but I'll fold whenever I can.

I'm most of the time encoding videos so when I have free time I'll fold.

I joined the team.

CPU: AMD 8120 @3.5 Ghz - PPD 1533

GPU: MSI R7850 2GB - PPD 1839

I don't know if this will help, but I'll fold whenever I can.

I'm most of the time encoding videos so when I have free time I'll fold.

Just saw there is ways to improve the folding. I'll read and change some settings later.

I joined the team. CPU: AMD 8120 @3.5 Ghz - PPD 1533 GPU: MSI R7850 2GB - PPD 1839 I don't know if this will help' date=' but I'll fold whenever I can. I'm most of the time encoding videos so when I have free time I'll fold. [/quote']

Welcome to the team! Every little bit helps. The AMD don't do so great right now, but should do better once they get the new Core's sorted out.

Hey :) I posted several weeks ago saying I was going to start folding but I just now got into it (I didn't think it would be that easy to start :P )

The web client says the GPU is "waiting for idle." is there a way to get it to do work when it's not on the screensaver or do I just need to turn the resource usage slider up?

Also, is there a way to "pause" the folding client temporarily? Say while I go to render a video or play a game?

And one last thing (last question I swear), does folding require any kind of operator input other that just starting it? Like once my computer finishes a work unit (I hope that's the right terminology), do I have to tell it to start another? or will it just do it?

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial