Apple to combine macOS and iOS applications next year

Starting as early as next year, software developers will be able to design a single application that works with a touchscreen or mouse and trackpad depending on whether it’s running on the iPhone and iPad operating system or on Mac 

Unifying the apps could help the iOS and macOS platforms “evolve and grow as one, and not one at the expense of the other,” says Steven Troughton-Smith

This would be the biggest change to Apple’s software platform since iOS was introduced.

As that last post put it, this would be a massive change and would really elevate macOS well above Windows 10 in my opinion seeing as iOS has access to the best App store in existence. What I fear though is that developers will not make their apps for the Mac regardless of how many APIs Apple throws at developers unless its as easy and as cheap as flipping a switch. 

Lets be real, the Mac App Store is pretty barren. One of its featured games is still FireWatch......(no shade on FireWatch btw, seriously play it if you haven't) so having the potential to have the iOS App Store at least partially on the Mac would be a game changer and would give people in the Apple ecosystem even more reasons to buy Macs rather than having to go so low as to buy a Windows PC :P 

Thankfully Apple does have far influence to make this idea work, unlike Windows with UWP apps since Windows Phone is factually dead. 

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-20/apple-is-said-to-have-plan-to-combine-iphone-ipad-and-mac-apps

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

With them doing this, it would be nice to have a Macbook Pro 2 in 1. They are thin compared to other 2 in 1's, plus an iPad and a Macbook Pro together would be awesome. I don't have many apple products, but this would be nice imo. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

So, basically, copy Microsoft, fail, and for the same reason.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Well MS never really had anything going for it in the first place.....

The difference is that the iPhone has market presence and Windows phone did not. Otherwise UWP would have succeeded. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The biggest thing personally stopping me from developing mac apps is how expensive a Mac is in the first place (also $100 USD per year is a terrible joke).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apple has a history of taking stuff that crashed and burned and make it a hit. Remember the Microsoft Tablet PC in 2001 that no one cared about? Then Microsoft tried that with Windows 7 (e.g. Asus Eee Slate EP121 and Toshiba Libretto W100) that has Touch features but lacks proper touch optimized interface and apps. Then Apple surprised everyone with the iPad in 2010. I confess that I was one of the haters of the first iPad given that no one cares about tablets and that only rich people will buy it but I was wrong. 

Then Microsoft tried to respond by releasing Windows 8 and its redacted form Windows RT which is a poorly executed attempt to dominate tablets because Windows 8/RT is much more difficult to use than iOS and Android and it lacks apps. Even to this day, there are more apps for the iPad alone than it is in the Windows Store and iOS apps are better than their UWP counterparts. Ever tried UWP Netflix? It’s terrible and slow. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

20 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

With them doing this, it would be nice to have a Macbook Pro 2 in 1. They are thin compared to other 2 in 1's, plus an iPad and a Macbook Pro together would be awesome. I don't have many apple products, but this would be nice imo. 

It would be nice for use in the wintertime.  Macbooks don't have the greatest thermal capabilities, so it could heat your legs even if you're doing something as menial as surfing the web.

satire or truth?

Man who wants to play a walking simulator?

So it appears then that apple won't be moving to Ryzen most likely, will be trying to push ARM on everything, doubt this will end well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

So it appears then that apple won't be moving to Ryzen most likely, will be trying to push ARM on everything, doubt this will end well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a really thin Macbook with an ARM processor.

will be trying to push ARM on everything,

This story does not mean Apple is going ARM. 

Just now, Streetguru said:

I don’t think Apple will be using AMD CPU’s anytime soon because their pro applications like Final Cut Pro X is using Intel’s Quick Sync core and there’s no TB3 in Ryzen just yet although Intel is planning to open source Thunderbolt just like USB. 

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

also $100 USD per year is a terrible joke).

But it helps keep out the people who just want to upload an app and never update it. 

$100 USD sounds pretty reasonable to me. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

That seems to be the way they want to go though, I mean how many people actually need high end hardware in a mac? Final Cut Pro? What else?

The laptops could easily replace intel with ARM soon as iOS/macOS are combined.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

So Apple A series Chips for iPhones and iPads and x86-64 for Macs? lol. Not too sure that's their masterplan tbh.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The biggest thing personally stopping me from developing mac apps is how expensive a Mac is in the first place (also $100 USD per year is a terrible joke).

The $99 per year isn't just for macOS development. It allows to you make apps for both macOS and iOS, as well as create Safari Extensions and then publish them in the App Stores or the Safari Extension Store (or whatever its called). So I mean, it isn't really a joke. Also it prevents a fair few people who don't have the $99 per year required from publishing scam/spam apps in the App Store. Doesn't prevent all bad guys from doing it, but it stops a fair few.

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7 13700K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming Wi-Fi

Memory: 32GB Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 7200 MHz CL34 @ 7600 MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX (ASUS TUF Gaming OC Edition)

Storage: 2 TB Western Digital SN850X, 1 TB Western Digital SN850, 2 TB Seagate Momentus SpinPoint M9T

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021)

Case: Fractal Design Torrent (white, non-RGB)

Monitor: TCL 55R617

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow V3 (Quartz)

Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate Wireless

DAC & Amp: Schiit Modi+ & Schiit Magni+

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Not too sure that's their masterplan tbh.

Its what they are doing now. 

They might make ARM Macs but ARM Macs will never be the center of their product line. They can emulate the iOS apps already, they just want to let developers do that easily. 

1 minute ago, KamranMackey said:

Oh praise be to apple, thank you for giving developers the privilege of making programs for your ecosystem!

It really is a silly system, not sure how it ever took off to begin with.

Spoiler

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Apple makes more money if they cut out intel/radeon from the equation

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

But then their computers aren't good for anything and they don't ship any units........

So no, Apple is not going to be focusing on ARM for the Macs. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

All they need to do is port their existing software to ARM, and then people will buy it because it's apple and it "just works"

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Oh praise be to apple, thank you for giving developers the privilege of making programs for your ecosystem!

It really is a silly system, not sure how it ever took off to begin with.

I think you broke your quotes, as they have no content inside of them. Also, what silly system? The fact you have to pay to publish stuff in the App Stores/Safari Extension Gallery? I don't think it's silly. I think it's smart. Also, Google also makes you pay a fee to publish apps on Google Play, so Apple isn't the only one.

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7 13700K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming Wi-Fi

Memory: 32GB Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 7200 MHz CL34 @ 7600 MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX (ASUS TUF Gaming OC Edition)

Storage: 2 TB Western Digital SN850X, 1 TB Western Digital SN850, 2 TB Seagate Momentus SpinPoint M9T

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021)

Case: Fractal Design Torrent (white, non-RGB)

Monitor: TCL 55R617

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow V3 (Quartz)

Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate Wireless

DAC & Amp: Schiit Modi+ & Schiit Magni+

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But it helps keep out the people who just want to upload an app and never update it. 

Well yeah, but the amount of money itself is an issue

Also recurring spending == no.

Apple is literally the only publishing distribution platform with a subscription. Every other platform is one time payment and it's worked out fine for them.

Last week over 20 apps on my OP3 got updates. So clearly it's just an excuse for Apple to keep milking their devs.

$100 USD sounds pretty reasonable to me. 

Yeah, as a one time payment. Not as a yearly sub.

Let's be honest. Unless a dev made a paid for app (which mobile users are sensitive to for some unknown reason) they won't recoup that fee.

3 minutes ago, KamranMackey said:

The $99 per year isn't just for macOS development.

I know. It used to be that it was $100/year for Mac and a $100/year for IOS before they merged them together.

It allows to you make apps for both macOS and iOS, as well as create Safari Extensions and then publish them in the App Stores or the Safari Extension Store (or whatever its called). So I mean, it isn't really a joke. Also it prevents a fair few people who don't have the $99 per year required from publishing scam/spam apps in the App Store. Doesn't prevent all bad guys from doing it, but it stops a fair few.

So people who don't want to throw away money = bad people? wow...... just wow.......

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Apple has a special deal with AMD to get cheaper GPUs than what Nvidia is charging so that's primarily why they've been sticking to AMD dGPUs since 2015.

All they need to do is port their existing software to ARM, and then people will buy it because it's apple and it "just works"

But then the Mac becomes Windows 10S and nobody wants Windows 10S

That seems to be the way they want to go though, I mean how many people actually need high end hardware in a mac? Final Cut Pro? What else?

The laptops could easily replace intel with ARM soon as iOS/macOS are combined.

I’d rather see Apple kill the current MacBook line which is expensive in terms of price to performance: $1300 for a core m3 MacBook? Fuck no! I’d rather get the non touchbar MacBook Pro for that price. But I’d rather see Apple use two processors for their MacBook Pros: their A11X Bionic SoC for lighter tasks like FaceTime, iMessage or Safari and the ULV i5/i7 Coffee Lake CPU + mobile Radeon GPU for resource intensive tasks like video editing, gaming, etc and the OS will do the hand off between processors on which apps will use the Intel chip or the Apple chip. Apple can easily make macOS universal binary just like what they did in 2006 by releasing Mac OS X Tiger for Intel and developers just need to update their apps to be universal binary. 

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well yeah, but the amount of money itself is an issue

$100 is too much for the ability to profit heavily off a good app idea?

I'm sorry but I don't see a way to validate your viewpoint.