Fractal Launches the R6,"Best Case Of 2017"?

TVwazhere

image.png.d5123bb062689dbd077af1ce8781cb2d.png

Damnit @fractaljosh, you tease! 

Behold, Fractal Design R5 lovers, your future upgrade! Fractal Really went all out with this one!

Designed from the ground up, the Define R6 goes beyond iteration with a profound stride of innovation – the latest and largest step in the legacy of the world-renowned Define Series.  

Seamless tempered glass and sound dampened steel panels with an elegant push-to-lock latching mechanism encase an entirely redesigned interior with unprecedented component support and storage flexibility. Six 3.5”/2.5” drives and two 2.5” drives can be installed with precision placement in countless configurations throughout the case. 

This keeps everything people love about the R5 (reversible doors, lots of HDD bays, easy access filters, 420mm RAD support) and adds everything people loved about the Define S/C series (PSU basement, tempered glass, more SSD support) while taking the Case market one step further (A GPU Mount? We will have to see about thermals [Edit, GN's testing shows as usual its terrible with open Shroud designs, only use for reference cards or water blocks], Old vs New layout; Choose between lots of Hard drive's and keep them hidden, or open the case up for awesome water cooling with the modular side plate!) It comes in the usual flavors of Standard black (with white accents) Blackout, Gun metal and White, with TG options for each! 

Notable features includes a better Tempered glass mount, a SATA powered NINE fan hub (3 PWM fans and six 3 pin fans) a single 5.25 bay (notable because those are usually not included) A fill port at the top of the case, High quality PCI-E ribbon (sold seperately for about $40,) Reverable doors as noted before... yep. 

But TV, Does it have USB 3.1 Gen 2?????? Well..... No... BUT! Fractal is releasing a "Conversion kit" So you can replace the I/O with it! I would have like to seen this come as a standard rather than an option, but this case is more about modularity than almost any mainstream case on the market, possibly just behind the Dark base 700/900 cases 

Airflow is not this case series strongest suit, but Fractal is a company that properly balances silence with airflow, so your >30db case doesn't turn into a toaster like all the kids on league of legends say.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series

I personally cannot wait for very in depth reviews from Hardware Canucks (thanks @Dissitesuxba11s)and Gamers nexus (thanks @samcool55), Apparently everyone's got a review out already! Huzzah!

(Now I just have to find time to watch them later today)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I personally cannot wait for very in depth reviews from Hardware Canucks and Gamers nexus, as IMO they do a really good job of going through and thoroughly reviewing cases

GN has a review! :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

GN has a review! :D

MOAR VIDEOS I NEED TO WATCH

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

MOAR VIDEOS I NEED TO WATCH

Jay and Wendell also have video's of the case, they are imo usually not as good as GN but if you want MOAR VIDEOZ to watch, Wendell is usually a good option :P

Wendell is from Level1Techs btw, the good part of teksyndicate before it went to sh*t.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Jay and Wendell also have video's of the case, they are imo usually not as good as GN but if you want MOAR VIDEOZ to watch, Wendell is usually a good option :P

Wendell is from Level1Techs btw, the good part of teksyndicate before it went to sh*t.

I'm familiar with Wendal, and I'm also subbed to Jay

My youtube inbox is just now catching up with everything :D 

Just now, HarryNyquist said:

Would buy if it had 5.25" bay(s). I know, I'm old fashioned.

It still retains one at the top! Thats better than 0

Hardware Canucks also has a review up.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Linked the video for convenience.

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I didn't see it!

RIP Wallet

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Hardware Canucks also has a review up.

:facepalm: This is what I get for rushing the post lol

According to Gamers Nexus, this case has average cooling which is very good because this case is marketed for silence. Gamer Nexus also said that in their recent reviews on Cooler Master, Thermaltake and Bitfenix cases, they boasts high airflow in their marketing but fails to beat the Define R6 which is for silence and never claimed to be good at airflow!

Silent case just as good as their "high airflow" competitors in thermals, impressive.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

I would if it had three 5.25" bays for a Blu-ray ODD and two hot swaps. I'm not impressed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I would if it had three 5.25" bays for a Blu-ray ODD and two hot swaps. I'm not impressed.

5.25" bays are going the way of the Dodo. :/ 

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

5.25" bays are going the way of the Kiwi. :/ 

I'll stick to the R5 then.

Also, don't let @leadeater see this. He might get offended.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Doesn't win my vote for case of the year. Too bland. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Then you have to get used to buying old cases since no one is going to bring back triple 5.25" bays.

But do what I did and just buy external USB drives (DVD/CD, Bluray, HDD, etc), USB 3.1 provides adequate speed.

EDIT: Define R5 only has two, so...

Just now, ApolloFury said:

Define R5 only has two, so...

I know, but it looks gorgeous! I had to switch from my Challenger's three to the R5's two by getting a 3.5"+2x2.5" hotswap. One bay is too little for my tastes since you have to choose between ODD or hotswap and God forbid someone thinks about fan controllers.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

21 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I didn't see it!

RIP Wallet

Not in spec list, though. it would seem there is an opening (or rather "openable") at the top, but maybe you would need additional hardware to mount anything there.

12 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

Then you have to get used to buying old cases since no one is going to bring back triple 5.25" bays.

But do what I did and just buy external USB drives (DVD/CD, Bluray, HDD, etc), USB 3.1 provides adequate speed.

Not as convenient, though, nor useful for front panels, where the whole point is to have them directly at the case.

Yes, I'm not going to die due to lack of 5.25 bays. But I'm not going to buy either :P 

Luckily, cases don't become underpowered as CPUs/GPUs, nor dangerous/dead as PSUs, so we are many years away from these bays going away from the market completely.

The downside is that people will stop (have stopped?) designing  things for 5.25 slots, so eventually the whole idea will require heavy modding.

All I can say is meh, I really wish we would start focusing on smaller footprint cases, Meshify C was a case done right.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not as convenient, though, nor useful for front panels, where the whole point is to have them directly at the case.

Yes, I'm not going to die due to lack of 5.25 bays. But I'm not going to buy either :P 

They are portable though, they are very convenient when you need to go somewhere or help someone without a CD drive. For instance my friend with abysmal internet (because Australia :(, but I have fibre) needed to borrow my USB CD Drive to install a game he bought from a retail store or to install Windows. I also do the same with hard drives, for instance GTAV is a 75GB download! So if my friend with 2mbps potato internet wants to play GTAV (and has purchased it on Steam) I could just plug my external HDD with GTAV to his PC and copy the files over, Steam will be able to detect the installed game since he purchased it as well.

1 minute ago, ApolloFury said:

They are portable though, they are very convenient when you need to go somewhere or help someone without a CD drive. For instance my friend with abysmal internet (because Australia :(, but I have fibre) needed to borrow my USB CD Drive to install a game he bought from a retail store or to install Windows. I also do the same with hard drives, for instance GTAV is a 75GB download! So if my friend with 2mbps potato internet wants to play GTAV (and has purchased it on Steam) I could just plug my external HDD with GTAV to his PC and copy the files over, Steam will be able to detect the installed game since he purchased it as well.

Yep, different use cases call for different solutions ;) 

Hot damn, I remember when the R5 was new. Three years, more like three seconds. I'm getting real old fast. :|

Looks like this, and the Define/Meshify C are the heroes the case industry deserves. Something to get out of the shitfest that is "RGB and TG cases with shitty airflow/shitty design/big af for no reason/expensive for what it really is/a combination of all". And to be clear, I'm not against TG and RGB, I just wish case manufacturers would focus on the case itself than be all about dat bling.

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

I saw a few of the embargo lift reviews already: I like it. Quite a bit actually but I am guessing there will eventually be a Meshify version as well (Or at least I hope that comes) which would be probably a bit better still so I might wait for that.

-------

Current Rig

-------