Raise the max allowed profile picture file size

kelvinhall05
2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well, id enjoy if the max cap was lifted a little bit, i have had to double post just because of the amount of pictures for Northern Bee, or the LAN PC easely hit the max cap but im guessing that wont happen either, and its not like i find it a major issue anyway

For system builds its already norm to host it somewhere else if you need to show more quality.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

For system builds its already norm to host it somewhere else if you need to show more quality.

yah i know, i just dont think about it. i honestly should do all my uploads to imgur from now on really but thats another site i need to use and whatever :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Each page load uses up enough bandwidth as it is, without allowing people to have enormous gifs that will probably just annoy people. However, larger profile picture caps is an unadvertised benefit of forum contributors (Bronze/Silver/Gold) if you really want larger profile pictures.

How much is gold 

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

$25/mo

Overpriced

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Overpriced

That why there is a Bronze $5 and Silver $10. ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

That why there is a Bronze $5 and Silver $10. ;) 

Isnt floatplane a separate charge or?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Isnt floatplane a separate charge or?

Foatplane (as far as I know) is included with Bronze, Silver and Gold. Bitwit I believe is separate.

image.png.d946455ab91dc731c2c4f8f2be222c54.png

image.png.77ca61ffe8d643b130311ddc9f3192d7.png

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

Overpriced

It's a contributor level, not a product for which you are expected to get the value out of. The Bronze, Silver and Gold contributor levels offer very few meaningful perks over a regular Floatplane subscription (or over each other), but they are a way to give money to LMG to support their videos and this site. Most people wouldn't subscribe, certainly not at gold level, but it is intended to allow those who would like to support them to do so.

HTTP/2 203

18 hours ago, babadoctor said:

nobody will use it to that extent

Um... let's do some math here. If all 458,231 registered users (and counting) were to use let's say 10MB profile pictures, there would be at least 2 issues with this:

1) 458231 x 10MB = 4582310 MB = 4.58231 TB of images to store somewhere - AWS is inexpensive, but why should LMG have to store the images at their expense?

2) Users with data capped internet plans would burn through more data than necessary - linustechtips.com would go way up from the 7.1MB it currently uses.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 12/20/2017 at 6:43 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I just find gifs that I like, but that aren't under 2MB.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

you can resize them.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 12/19/2017 at 8:56 PM, babadoctor said:

nobody will use it to that extent

also your logic is still stupid, what are you using to measure how many users are on the site?

there can be new users, with new profile pics

you seem really offended by increase profile picture size lol

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 12/20/2017 at 3:57 PM, kirashi said:

Um... let's do some math here. If all 458,231 registered users (and counting) were to use let's say 10MB profile pictures, there would be at least 2 issues with this:

1) 458231 x 10MB = 4582310 MB = 4.58231 TB of images to store somewhere - AWS is inexpensive, but why should LMG have to store the images at their expense?

2) Users with data capped internet plans would burn through more data than necessary - linustechtips.com would go way up from the 7.1MB it currently uses.

Your math is actually off a little:

458,231 x 10 MB = 4,582,310 MB / 1024 = 4474.9 GB / 1024 = 4.37 TB

/nitpick :P

Either way, yeah. 4.37 TB of data JUST for avatars is kind of insane. That's not even thinking about the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of images posted in forum posts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)