Raise the max allowed profile picture file size

kelvinhall05

I hate having to downsize .gifs and having them end up super choppy and looking horrible because the file size is 2MB max. Like, come one. Wasn't it something like 10MB before? Please change this. Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you make the gif, you'll be better able to optimize it. If I remember right, my profile img. is around 800KB.

However, I think we'd all love to see the creativity and expression possible with increasing the size but that'd increase the storage of images from ~1TB to ~4.5TB (if everybody was to use the increase to its fullest).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

7 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

If you make the gif, you'll be better able to optimize it. If I remember right, my profile img. is around 800KB.

However, I think we'd all love to see the creativity and expression possible with increasing the size but that'd increase the storage of images from ~1TB to ~4.5TB.

what kind of stupid logic is that

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

what kind of stupid logic is that

What 'bout it?

The increase of storage? Yeah. That was a comment that I made on a whim.Additionally, I meant to edit it noting, "if everybody used it to that extent", which I will add now.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

What 'bout it?

The increase of storage? Yeah. That was a comment that I made on a whim.Additionally, I meant to edit it noting, "if everybody used it to that extent", which I will add now.

nobody will use it to that extent

also your logic is still stupid, what are you using to measure how many users are on the site?

there can be new users, with new profile pics

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

What kind of GIFs are you using for them to be that size?!?

Mine is only 126KB which is 1/4 of the total original data size of the two pictures I used for it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

What kind of GIFs are you using for them to be that size?!?

Mine is only 126KB which literally 1/4 of the total original data size of the two pictures I used for it.

thats because a very small part of the gif is moving

Just now, babadoctor said:

thats because a very small part of the gif is moving

Yeah and the original GIF is 526KB, what's your point?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Why do you need files that big?

Here is your avatar cut down from 2MB to 464KB, no visible degradation of quality. I simply opened it in GIMP and exported with zero editing.\

EDIT: Never mind it was already that size, why was I thinking 2MB????? Fuck me I have issues

upload the gif here so I can downsize it for you with no visible degradation of quality (ffmpeg)

21 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

nobody will use it to that extent

also your logic is still stupid, what are you using to measure how many users are on the site?

there can be new users, with new profile pics

If nobody is going to use it to that extent, then why would an increase be needed?

"What are you using to measure how many users are on the site?"

I'm using this https://linustechtips.com/mainHow_many_members.png.c3a0a496743702adab2ce281a74a3d1d.png

As for new users - with new profile pics - that'd only increase the change in data for both.

If nobody is going to use it to that extent, then why would an increase be needed?

"What are you using to measure how many users are on the site?"

I'm using this https://linustechtips.com/mainHow_many_members.png.c3a0a496743702adab2ce281a74a3d1d.png

As for new users - with new profile pics - that'd only increase the change in data for both.

dude its still retarded logic, the total members on the site can change at any given time

also it would be 45 terabytes at max

You know dude, I dont really understand why youre calling peoples ideas retarded rather than simply stating you dont agree with them. By the way That member count shouldnt grow TOO much since most of the youtube channel fanbase is already in.

47 minutes ago, HazeTheBeater said:

You know dude, I dont really understand why youre calling peoples ideas retarded rather than simply stating you dont agree with them. By the way That member count shouldnt grow TOO much since most of the youtube channel fanbase is already in.

ok yeah sorry @Imbellis

This is typical conversation with non networking people look like.

They just think the storage capacity and not thinking about the bandwidth cost (and also network cap bandwidth in general)

By today standard Terabytes of storage is cheap, you can add 4-10TB disk to each server easily, but the bandwidth cost almost stays the same for decades.

ISP usually charge certain amount for certain data transfer, also the more files to load means more power require for the server, generally you want your server load is low as possible while delivering full network capacity.

To make it more simple for non techis guy

Less bandwidth usage = less money/cost spend

if you still can't get that into your brain then all I can say is, good luck with your life.

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

This is typical conversation with non networking people look like.

They just think the storage capacity and not thinking about the bandwidth cost (and also network cap bandwidth in general)

By today standard Terabytes of storage is cheap, you can add 4-10TB disk to each server easily, but the bandwidth cost almost stays the same for decades.

ISP usually charge certain amount for certain data transfer, also the more files to load means more power require for the server, generally you want your server load is low as possible while delivering full network capacity.

To make it more simple for non techis guy

Less bandwidth usage = less money/cost spend

if you still can't get that into your brain then all I can say is, good luck with your life.

damn i totally forgot about bandwidth 

Not going to be a thing. There's already more posts about limiting size and features of avatars because of mobile data consumption (while they aren't that big of issue).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Each page load uses up enough bandwidth as it is, without allowing people to have enormous gifs that will probably just annoy people. However, larger profile picture caps is an unadvertised benefit of forum contributors (Bronze/Silver/Gold) if you really want larger profile pictures.

HTTP/2 203

9 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Why do you need files that big?

I just find gifs that I like, but that aren't under 2MB.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

17 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I was able to compress that image to 5MB using https://compressor.io/compress

giphy-downsized-large.gif.1ace453605913ba7ff7ae4635cc7c815-compressor.gif

you can resize it down quite a bit to save data too.

Thank you :)

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

@colonel_mortis I've tried tinkering around with it after breakfast, but I can't get it how I'd like it and still stay under the file size. Thanks anyways!

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

well, id enjoy if the max cap was lifted a little bit, i have had to double post just because of the amount of pictures for Northern Bee, or the LAN PC easely hit the max cap but im guessing that wont happen either, and its not like i find it a major issue anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016