Multi-Actuation: Seagate working to double IOPS on Spinning Disks

As a part of Seagate's push for more data center drives, they are looking at adding in multi-actuator HDDs to their enterprise drive lines in 2018.  With their proposed multi-actuator drives, Seagate thinks that they can double the data performance for reads and writes as compared to an existing Hard Disk, which is one of the biggest bottlenecks for deployment of High Capacity drives.  

https://techreport.com/news/32976/seagate-multi-actuator-hard-drives-think-two-heads-are-better-than-one

Technologies like shingled magnetic recording (SMR), heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR), and microwave-assisted magnetic recording (MAMR) all promise to improve the capacity of spinning platter drives, but none of them were developed with performance in mind. While HAMR and SMR could indirectly offer better throughput by way of increased data density, large jumps in hard drive performance have been rare in recent years. Seagate says its multi-actuator technology could double hard drive performance while maintaining magnetic hard drives' advantages over SSDs in cost per storage unit.

MAT.jpg.1e043516e7643f19e7c161cd7268b383.jpg

Simultaneous operation of two heads could double the throughput of a drive or double the drive's maximum IOPS capability. Seagate says multi-actuator drives could present two parallel access streams to the same drive. The heads attached to either actuator can perform two reads, two writes, or one read and one write operation simultaneously.

Paul Alcorn of Tom's Hardware says that Seagate's multi-actuator drives have a second magnet that couples with the voice coil magnet assembly, implying that manufacturing costs will be somewhat higher than conventional drives. Management of two heads will require a more sophisticated controller and more complex firmware than current drives, but according to Alcorn, this probably represents less of a challenge. He also notes that weight and power consumption of devices with the new technology will probably increase somewhat.

The company says the multi-actuator technology could be extended to drives with more than two actuators in the future, given refinements to the manufacturing process. Seagate didn't provide any pricing or availability information, but the wording of the company's blog post suggests that multi-actuator drives will come to the data center first.

This is kind of interesting in that you would have each set of heads able to independently access separate partitions of the platter stack, although I'm thinking that the issuing of the changes in magnetic fields, high speed spinning of all of those platters and potential imbalance issues from two separate actuator motors probably made this an engineering nightmare...  I also severely doubt the claims of doubling the data performance, but would really like to have them achieve that.  Of course, I would also like to see an improvement on some of their quality issues as I've had several Seagate drives fail on me in the past. xD

Seagate Blog Post: https://blog.seagate.com/technology/multi-actuator-technology-a-new-performance-breakthrough/?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_messaging%3BJXyixoGaROyvrtBYgUlcBw%3D%3D

well lets see how long it takes for them to implement or say that they failed.

sounds interesting way to do it. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

seems like itll be loud 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Wouldn't it also be possible to have every head actuate independently with current technology?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd like to see them start this on consumer 2-4TB drives instead. I wouldn't mind paying $150 for a faster 2TB NAS.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd like to see them start this on consumer 2-4TB drives instead. I wouldn't mind paying $150 for a faster 2TB NAS.

Would really like to see this on some 4 to 6 TB consumer NAS drives myself...  Would be really interesting to see how much better a parity check on my home array would be.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Wouldn't it also be possible to have every head actuate independently with current technology?

I don't think it is, at least not now. The piezoelectric motor itself is quite small, but the main actuator is quite large. I'd be interested in seeing a schematic for how the actuators are attached with this design. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

it would still take one full revolution of the platter to access that same data. Their idea sounds a lot like RAID 0 contained within one drive.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't think it is, at least not now. The piezoelectric motor itself is quite small, but the main actuator is quite large. I'd be interested in seeing a schematic for how the actuators are attached with this design. 

It's also a large decrease in reliability. Actuators are already pretty much the main physical failure mechanisms for HDD, so i'll be interested to see reliability claims when these come out.

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

it would still take one full revolution of the platter to access that same data. Their idea sounds a lot like RAID 0 contained within one drive.

Not quite. This design explicitly helps for burst applications. Properly optimized sequential loads would preform identically as a large bit of technology already does into ordering data on the platters such that data can be read as continuously as possible.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

15 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can do it right now, its called RAID0... This thing is going to be similar, the only difference is that its done inside the drive.

Finally.

Spoiler

image.png.0f5aaea51fe9ae8c51048d7650588d42.png

At a random guess wouldn't it be possible to add another actuator in the empty space on the right, further away from the magnetic fields of the other actuator? Although bringing another set of strong magnets near the RW heads would be a bad idea. The head parking position could be dealt with by sectioning each layer so they can pass through each other safely.

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You can do it right now, its called RAID0... This thing is going to be similar, the only difference is that its done inside the drive.

We're moving the posts with this metaphor. This keeps things in one slot rather than splitting the difference between two or more. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

We're moving the posts with this metaphor. This keeps things in one slot rather than splitting the difference between two or more. 

But going with this metaphor, you could end up with a RAID 0 inceptionxD.  I mean if it is an internalized RAID 0 on a single HDD and you set multiple up as RAID 0, does that make it a RAID 00? 

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

But going with this metaphor, you could end up with a RAID 0 inceptionxD.  I mean if it is an internalized RAID 0 on a single HDD and you set multiple up as RAID 0, does that make it a RAID 00? 

Putting aside the funny part (00 = toilette :D ) i think yes, but IDK how much that would mean in real world performance...

6 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Okay, SSD's run on RAID 0 now...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

each set of heads able to independently access separate partitions of the platter stack

Man I would love a few of these for VM storage. With SSDs still costing a premium for capacity (Although shrinking) and my experiences with HDDs "locking up" at 100%, this seems like a great boon for system responsiveness. The only question I have is how much would designing around two actuators increase the costs.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

Soo...double the chance of failure. Got it.

While it does heighten the chance of a single actuator failing in the system, I would think approach would be more reliable as long as they designed it to properly function with only one working in case of failure.

Edit: Nvm, maybe I should have looked at the picture. For some reason I was under the impression that the heads would be on opposite sides of the drive, not stacked on each other.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Thing is, with our technology, the main question is why hasn't this been done already?

Because fuck innovation

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

35 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Thing is, with our technology, the main question is why hasn't this been done already?

I've been thinking for years about something like this-except across all platters (preferably independently on both sides of each.

20 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Because fuck innovation

2010 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB HDD. Manages to do 120-140MB sec sustained. Still not seeing that much of an improvement 7 years later with current 7200RPM 2.5" HDD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

37 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Probably a shit ton of validation as to avoid pushing a problematic product.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I've been thinking for years about something like this-except across all platters (preferably independently on both sides of each.

2010 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB HDD. Manages to do 120-140MB sec sustained. Still not seeing that much of an improvement 7 years later with current 7200RPM 2.5" HDD.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't make 10k drives cheaper for consumers by now too

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

42 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Motors would take up a lot of space, data and voltage delivery would have to be rethought, and heat is a detriment that has finally been pushed due to different gases being tested over conventional air. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler