Is There a safe way to run a space heater from an extension coard

Rambo3456

I'm in a situation where i need to run a space heater in a space that is a little ways away from the nearest outlet i need to run a extension coard but i heard that can cause it to overheat and the last thing i need is my house burning down is there a safe way i can run a space heater with a extension coard

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

1 minute ago, Rambo3456 said:

I'm in a situation where i need to run a space heater in a space that is a little ways away from the nearest outlet i need to run a extension coard but i heard that can cause it to overheat and the last thing i need is my house burning down is there a safe way i can run a space heater with a extension coard

Be sure to get an appropriately sized cord (AWG) for the length of the run and wattage of the device your running. 

just make sure you get one thats apropriate for the job, ones for tools or whatever with thicker cords and larger wire diameters basically

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think you might be looking at 16AWG extensions, but I would check the gauge on the heater's cable if indicated.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

also more important with heaters pay attention to the amperage and btus of the heater i am thinking the bigger the cord the better if you touch the cord after a few minutes and its warm (warmer than ambient) then its too small

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

38 minutes ago, Rambo3456 said:

What Space Heater? What's the specs? Input Voltage/Amps? BTU rating, etc?

Once we know how much power the heater draws, we can recommend an extension cord with the correct gauge (thickness).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What Space Heater? What's the specs? Input Voltage/Amps? BTU rating, etc?

Once we know how much power the heater draws, we can recommend an extension cord with the correct gauge (thickness).

This is it https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-5572-Oscillating-Ceramic-Control/dp/B001DNIIUC/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1513737888&sr=1-1&keywords=tall+space+heater

5 minutes ago, Rambo3456 said:

Something like this would be more than enough, pretty heavy gauge and shouldn't ever run into issues. Just note that it is a 1500W heater so it will take up almost the whole 15 amp ciruit breaker so don't have other stuff also running on the same circuit. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061306C2/ref=twister_B0762LYG3T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Something like this would be more than enough, pretty heavy gauge and shouldn't ever run into issues. Just note that it is a 1500W heater so it will take up almost the whole 15 amp ciruit breaker so don't have other stuff also running on the same circuit. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061306C2/ref=twister_B0762LYG3T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

thank you so much this really helps alot