DT 990 Edition + Magni 3 = good combo?

CatTNT

So I know nothing about headphones specs, and I read that higher impedance= better sound. So instead of getting the 32 ohm regular version orf the DT990 I decided to get the 250 ohm version and get my first amp. I just want to know if the amp will work well with these new headphones and will I be able to put the volume high if I want to (no distortion). If you guys say this amp is powerful enough to power the 600 ohm version, I will get the 600ohm version, only if it’s going to be distortion free.

thanks in advance

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

While higher impedance doesn't automatically = better sound, that amp will pair fine with the 250 ohm version easily. I'd assume it's fine with 600 ohm version as well.

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3 Check out the "specs" page.

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

While higher impedance doesn't automatically = better sound, that amp will pair fine with the 250 ohm version easily. I'd assume it's fine with 600 ohm version as well.

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3 Check out the "specs" page.

I have no idea what the specs mean, so I am only going on what others say (you). So if you say it will Ben able to handle the 600 ohm version (I use for gaming and music) then I guess I’ll order the headphones and amp in a week or so

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

The 600 ohm and 250 ohm are similarly efficient, even if their voltage needs vary. You'll be fine with either. If anything it's better to use the higher impedance drivers if you're looking for lower distortion; at comfortable listening levels you'll be closer to the ideal operating point of the amp.

To give you an idea, the 600 ohm DT880 needs .43mW to reach 90db. The Magni 3 can output 230mW into 600 ohms. You're nowhere near clipping due to lack of power.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

The 600 ohm and 250 ohm are similarly efficient, even if their voltage needs vary. You'll be fine with either. If anything it's better to use the higher impedance drivers if you're looking for lower distortion; at comfortable listening levels you'll be closer to the ideal operating point of the amp.

To give you an idea, the 600 ohm DT880 needs .43mW to reach 90db. The Magni 3 can output 230mW into 600 ohms. You're nowhere near clipping due to lack of power.

So it’s perfectly fine to get the 600 ohm version? Absolutely nothing to worry about?

39 minutes ago, CatTNT said:

So it’s perfectly fine to get the 600 ohm version? Absolutely nothing to worry about?

Perfectly fine to get the 600 ohm. You'd have to play music at very unsafe listening levels (if the driver is even physically capable of producing something that loud) before running out of power.

Why not get the dt880 250 ohm? 

I find DT990 to be very V-shaped sounding, it’s bot for everyone’s cup of tea

Take a look at the Sony Z7 instead. I've had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and these are so much better it's not even funny.

Also if comfort is your thing... they are the best.

1 hour ago, alphaproject said:

Take a look at the Sony Z7 instead. I've had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and these are so much better it's not even funny.

Also if comfort is your thing... they are the best.

You are comparing a $160 pair of headphones (770) to a set of $500+ pair of headphones, which I personally don't find them to be worth at all, with the thin and recessed mids and a bass response I personally find very weird, it is like they want to be a bass friends best friend, but the bass isn't that tight and it seems to roll off at 30-35Hz, but as long as you are happy, then that is all that should matter to you.

Spoiler

output-3.thumb.png.cd6470f2e1e2bdc3fa08f971ba6c2506.png

How many people can suddenly drop another 330$ when they only plan to spend $170 on 990s? Also 990 and 770 are world's apart in how they sound.

Also OP are you sure that you even want DT990? The highs are very sharp for some people. The magni 3 is a good amp for 100$, it is a tad warmer sounding than the old magni 2 Uber.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I paid $425 and they are more comfortable than any headphone I've ever had.  I am not a fan of blasting mids to be honest.

13 hours ago, alphaproject said:

I paid $425 and they are more comfortable than any headphone I've ever had.  I am not a fan of blasting mids to be honest.

That is still well over twice as much as the ones the OP is looking at. Well I guess it is good that you got headphones with recessed mids then.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.