Are 6 AA batteries the same as 1 9v battery?

babadoctor

I have this toy that I want to replace the power supply which uses 6 1.5v AA batteries with my old rechargeable powerbank.

are 6 1.5v batteries the same as a 9v battery?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Voltage is the same, but 6 AA batteries would supply more current than a single 9V  PP3 battery, so for the same load the AA batteries would last longer.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Just now, Sors said:

Voltage is the same, but 6 AA batteries would supply more current than a single 9V  PP3 battery, so for the same load the AA batteries would last longer.

darn

could i hook up a 10,000mAh powerbank to it from the 2.4A port

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

In measured voltage, the answer is yes provided they are wired in series.  The voltage is the same.  Where the problem comes in is with the amperage.  You would want the total amperage provided to be equal to or greater than the total amperage provided by the 9 volt battery.

17 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

darn

I don't think so,  But I could be wrong.

I believe USB devices need to do a handshake when connected, I don't know if a pure load connected to 5V and Ground would have the powerbank providing power.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Voltage wise, yes. How much amperage it can deliver and the overall capacity, the 6 AA will be better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, babadoctor said:

darn

Don't. 

The powerbank is not meant to do that.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

4 hours ago, babadoctor said:

I have this toy that I want to replace the power supply which uses 6 1.5v AA batteries with my old rechargeable powerbank.

are 6 1.5v batteries the same as a 9v battery?

You could get a cheap voltage booster from eBay any use that to drive the toy from a powerbank. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

go to a hobby(RC) shop, they usually have all the gear and knowledge to swap, pack and repack batteries.  You can even build up lipo packs and chargers to replace old nicad gear in some cases.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes the voltage will be the same (9v battery's are 6 AAAA battery's) and the amperage available will be higher. but that is a good thing, it will only use what it needs so it will last longer

Sigh so much misinformation here.

Yes, you can put AA or AAA batteries in series to get a higher voltage.

A 9v battery can have a voltage up to around 9.3v when new and will discharge down to about 4.8v but realistically, the end point is around 5.4v. Lithium based 9v batteries can be up to 9.6v.

An old style battery (regular, carbon-zinc, "heavy duty") typically has a capacity of around 400-440mAh

An alkaline battery typically has a capacity of 550mAh. Lithium batteries have up to 1200mAh 

These batteries are designed so that you don't pull too much current from them, for example datasheets use a 270 ohm load ( 9v / 270 = 0.033 A or 33mA) to simulate use in a portable radio or a toy.

Regular alkaline batteries will have a voltage of up to 1.65v when fresh out the box and they'll quickly go down to around 1.5v..1.55v. When they're completely discharged, they'll go down to maybe 1v

You can see here a comparison between output voltage over time : http://batteryshowdown.com/results-lo.html

Rechargeable batteries will have a voltage of up to 1.35v when fully charged and they'll be empty at around 1.1v..1.2v

So if you put 6 in series, with alkaline batteries you could have a 6v .. 9.9v range and with rechargeable batteries you would have 6.6v .. 8.1v

Some devices are very sensitive to maximum voltage so if you insert 6 fresh alkaline batteries and the device you use is not designed to get more than let's say 9.5v, then you could damage it if your 6 batteries in series produce 10v. In general, this is not much concern.

Some devices have a low battery indicator and they may configure it to beep or show up when the voltage drops below let's say 5.6v .. 5.8v 

Since the regular AA batteries still produce some low amount of energy even at 1v output, you'd have 6v even when batteries are close to unusable, so your device will basically never show the low battery indicator. 

A badly designed fire alarm, could simply stop working all of the sudden, without beeping for hours, and this could be a safety hazard.

Other than that, AAA batteries can have up to 650-800mAh in capacitance and AA batteries up to around 2500mA so certainly you'd get a much longer battery life from 6 AA/AAA batteries in series.

And yes, some manufacturers use 6 AAAA batteries inside connected in series, but the classic 9v battery uses 6 rectangular cells stacked one on top of the other to create the 9v battery :

9v_1.jpg.8fb014eaec950bb9f4acd8dedd9880d2.jpg

9v_2.jpg.789f94df6e50153ece2b6ef88c800d5e.jpg