New pc - coffee lake

Mavve
Go to solution Solved by Purphoros,
23 minutes ago, Mavve said:

I mean, honestly i could push the boundries a bit and upgrade to an even more solid build, like this. Would it be convient to go for a pc like this for 4k gta, destiny etc? Or would i lose too much $/performance?

appreciate the help!

3BFDEC61-60E9-4A52-80E1-D7A9B7BC270C.png

-I would go with a 650w PSU unless you are planning on a second GPU.

-I would go with a Noctua tower cooler over the AIO personally.  I love mine (NH-D14) and it handles heat very well without the slightest bit of noise.  I actually run my fans at 100% on the cooler all the time.

-You could also save a bit of money on the case, I am a fan of the Fractal Design Meshify C (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072&cm_re=meshify_c-_-11-352-072-_-Product), up to you though.

-You are paying a hefty premium for that 1080Ti though.  It's about a 25% improvement but you are paying an extra ~40% to get that.

-A Seagate Barracude might be cheaper, the new Seagate drives have about the same reliability as WD I've heard.

-Also the cheapest DDR4 (non-ECC) is fine, there is little performance difference.

I don't know how much money you have to spend but the 1080 build is probably the best you could do right now.  You might also want to price shop for the GPU.  Please charge your phone. ;)

Gaming wise, the 1080 and 1080 Ti stomp games.  At 4k you might still need to compromise a few of the more intense settings.

I'm getting off now, need some sleep.

So i just recently made a change on my build. Changed from picture 1 to picture 2. Is it a better choice? I don’t want to go past the 1500$ mark.

First build: roughly 1300$

Second build: 1500$

is it worth the extra 200 bucks?

459BE029-17F9-4B05-A0D2-2A09424F1058.thumb.png.55be19b2f19b6ecbc55a445677f2a267.png

872DD58B-3CEB-4193-8C1E-D231E31652D7.png

I’m also wondering if i would need a better power supply.

6 minutes ago, Mavve said:

I’m also wondering if i would need a better power supply.

650w should be fine. You could get away with 500w on both I believe.  There are power-supply calculators online that are usually a good reference point.

I would personally go with the 1080 build, but I don't know what peripherals you have, if you are driving a 1080p monitor at 60 Hz the 1080 is overkill.  I also wouldn't recommend that Cryorig cooler, I feel that there are better options for cheaper (at least here in the US).  (EDIT: Seems pricing has gone crazy recently, I thought the 212 evo was like $20 buts it's now at $34)

You might also want to pick up some thermal paste (I would bet your cooler comes with some, but it might not be great).  I love the NT-H1 from Noctua, I use it on everything.

I mean, honestly i could push the boundries a bit and upgrade to an even more solid build, like this. Would it be convient to go for a pc like this for 4k gta, destiny etc? Or would i lose too much $/performance?

appreciate the help!

23 minutes ago, Mavve said:

appreciate the help!

-I would go with a Noctua tower cooler over the AIO personally.  I love mine (NH-D14) and it handles heat very well without the slightest bit of noise.  I actually run my fans at 100% on the cooler all the time.

-You could also save a bit of money on the case, I am a fan of the Fractal Design Meshify C (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072&cm_re=meshify_c-_-11-352-072-_-Product), up to you though.

-You are paying a hefty premium for that 1080Ti though.  It's about a 25% improvement but you are paying an extra ~40% to get that.

-A Seagate Barracude might be cheaper, the new Seagate drives have about the same reliability as WD I've heard.

-Also the cheapest DDR4 (non-ECC) is fine, there is little performance difference.

I don't know how much money you have to spend but the 1080 build is probably the best you could do right now.  You might also want to price shop for the GPU.  Please charge your phone. ;)

Gaming wise, the 1080 and 1080 Ti stomp games.  At 4k you might still need to compromise a few of the more intense settings.

Edited by Purphoros
Fixed a word. Added gaming thing.

1 hour ago, Purphoros said:

650w should be fine. You could get away with 500w on both I believe.  There are power-supply calculators online that are usually a good reference point.

I would personally go with the 1080 build, but I don't know what peripherals you have, if you are driving a 1080p monitor at 60 Hz the 1080 is overkill.  I also wouldn't recommend that Cryorig cooler, I feel that there are better options for cheaper (at least here in the US).  (EDIT: Seems pricing has gone crazy recently, I thought the 212 evo was like $20 buts it's now at $34)

The H7 actually outperforms  the 212 EVO. Only by a few degrees, but it does outperform albeit slightly.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 hour ago, Mavve said:

Well... i just bought the 1080 ti. 

I hope you're planning on playing more than GTA and Destiny 2 then.  I just bought a used 3gb GTX 1060 and it runs almost everything I have from Rise of the Tomb Raider to Crysis 3 and Wolfenstein II at almost, if not, max settings.  If you ordered it online and can cancel it, you might want to get a regular 1080 just to save the extra $300 (especially if you're buying the AIO cooler). And you can buy 2 to 3 tb hdd's for $10/$20 more than a 1tb usually.

4 hours ago, Purphoros said:

450-550W is already plenty on the PSU. The TXM and Whisper M are reasonably priced. 

The case is listed to have 161mm cooler clearance. The H5 is reasonably priced. 

On Sweden, the price difference between the cases is negligible. Same goes for the Define C, Enthoo Pro M, and the P400S. 

Getting faster RAM  does improve the performance noticeably, by several %. 

Yes, the 1080 build does seem the most reasonable. Perhaps with a lower and motherboard, and with an 8400 using the stock cooler. 

:)

2 hours ago, Nvidiot said:

I hope you're planning on playing more than GTA and Destiny 2 then.  I just bought a used 3gb GTX 1060 and it runs almost everything I have from Rise of the Tomb Raider to Crysis 3 and Wolfenstein II at almost, if not, max settings.  If you ordered it online and can cancel it, you might want to get a regular 1080 just to save the extra $300 (especially if you're buying the AIO cooler). And you can buy 2 to 3 tb hdd's for $10/$20 more than a 1tb usually.

Yes i bought it online. Is the 1080 strix oc enough for the latest games out there in highest settings? If so, i might reconsider my choice.

16 minutes ago, Mavve said:

Yes i bought it online. Is the 1080 strix oc enough for the latest games out there in highest settings? If so, i might reconsider my choice.

More than enough to get you few the next few years I'd think.

Alright, so i chose to return the 1080 ti strix oc and exchange it for a 1080 strix oc. Basically i found out that the TI would bottleneck it with 5%, compared to the 0-1% with a regular 1080. Wasn’t worth paying an extra 40% for a 20% of performance in return.

I used the left over money for a 360mm AIO (Changed the case to make the AIO fit) for better airflow and an Asus maximus X for a more aesthetically looking pc.

(Didn’t bother to upgrade to more storage since I typically don’t download a whole lot.)

let me know if you agree with my choice.

F70076BD-5EBC-444D-B720-9B3B88A22C66.png

The picture link doesn't work, but I think you did the right thing.  The Ti isn't really worth it at this point in time.