Two people in one room

Hi,

at home I'm building a desk setup for me and my girlfriend, however the room is not extremely spacey and I would really like to give us the option to use computers with sound while sitting at desks located next to each other. I am looking for some rather cheaper alternatives of bookshelf speakers, one pair for me and one for her (for any heavier listening headphones/living room setup will be used, this is more of a "game without headphones", "hear the email notifications" and/or "watch a youtube video" scenario), however I have trouble finding any answers to how to at least a little bit isolate the two desks so that we could for example game w/o headphones on and still hear let's say 80% own sound and only 20% sound from the speakers of the other one.

Are there some good looking budget solutions of speakers firing mainly in the direction they are aimed at? Would soundproofing the wall behind our backs be of any greater help, so that the sound does not echo back?

Thank you for any help.

4 minutes ago, JustTheChosenOne said:

Hi,

at home I'm building a desk setup for me and my girlfriend, however the room is not extremely spacey and I would really like to give us the option to use computers with sound while sitting at desks located next to each other. I am looking for some rather cheaper alternatives of bookshelf speakers, one pair for me and one for her (for any heavier listening headphones/living room setup will be used, this is more of a "game without headphones", "hear the email notifications" and/or "watch a youtube video" scenario), however I have trouble finding any answers to how to at least a little bit isolate the two desks so that we could for example game w/o headphones on and still hear let's say 80% own sound and only 20% sound from the speakers of the other one.

Are there some good looking budget solutions of speakers firing mainly in the direction they are aimed at? Would soundproofing the wall behind our backs be of any greater help, so that the sound does not echo back?

Thank you for any help.

If you are in the same room, and the room is small, there's basically no reasonable way to accomplish what you want.

Anything one of you plays on their set of speakers, the other person is going to hear. Whether it interferes with you, depends on how loud they are. But either way, if you honestly want to accomplish this, headphones is the way.

Otherwise, get a pair of quality speaker sets - even cheaper Logitech PC speakers are decent. And if both are in the room? Either one or both of you will need to put headphones on.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thank you for your reply.

I realize we are going to hear what is playing from the other ones speakers, what I meant is that currently when gaming together on laptops, if we both set +- the same level of volume, we are able to achieve a situation in which we hear each other talking (biggest issue with headphones, as mics usually pick up both of our voices creating bad echoes) just normally and at the same time, there is a distinguishable difference between what is "my sound" and "her sound" making it quite easy to ignore "her sound" whenever there is something going on and "my sound" is also playing".

Just now, JustTheChosenOne said:

Thank you for your reply.

I realize we are going to hear what is playing from the other ones speakers, what I meant is that currently when gaming together on laptops, if we both set +- the same level of volume, we are able to achieve a situation in which we hear each other talking (biggest issue with headphones, as mics usually pick up both of our voices creating bad echoes) just normally and at the same time, there is a distinguishable difference between what is "my sound" and "her sound" making it quite easy to ignore "her sound" whenever there is something going on and "my sound" is also playing".

I mean, you can do that with any set of speakers. Just don't turn them up too loud.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ok then, thank you very much sir, it seems that my question was quite stupid. Ill just look for something "reasonably priced, pretty and with good reviews" and then play with the direction and volume.

Enjoy the rest of ur weekend!

Just now, JustTheChosenOne said:

Ok then, thank you very much sir, it seems that my question was quite stupid. Ill just look for something "reasonably priced, pretty and with good reviews" and then play with the direction and volume.

Enjoy the rest of ur weekend!

Haha don't worry - it's not a stupid question :)

If the choice is between making a maybe slightly embarrassingly simple question, compared to continued ignorance or potentially doing something incorrectly? I'd always choose the ego hit and ask.

If your concern with headphones is that you will not be able to hear each other well, you could always both use open headphones (although they still block a bit of noise).

18 hours ago, Belbo said:

If your concern with headphones is that you will not be able to hear each other well, you could always both use open headphones (although they still block a bit of noise).

It’s a double edged sword, because open back headphones tend to bleed a LOT of sound, so yeah you’d be able to hear them. And everything they’re listening to anyway. 

It’s a trade off in either case.