The FCC just KILLED Net Neutrality

RileyTheFox
2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Unfortunately, we seem to be a country of tradition and stubbornness, so I know a lot of people who voted the current government in, purely because they've always voted for that party.

This does heavily remind me of this.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Quit your bullshit, OP. Ajit Pai still has to defend this in court. A court that's already ruled twice in favor of net neutrality.

Pai keeps saying this won't hurt end users, and will benefit them instead. He can't come up with how this will be. If you can't defend yourself or a decision in court, the court won't listen to you.

50 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Why facepalm? it's a legit question, so companies that use VPNs then will get throttled or blocked traffic also. I thought they might still throttle it, of course I know they can see that it's VPN traffic. But there are very legit reasons for using VPNs too, so they could be essentially making things worse for companies too, unless they'll have a paid tier where VPNs are allowed maybe?

And yes, I agree it's shit, even though I don't live in the US... if adopted elsewhere this could be an enormous change in the tide of how the internet as a whole works, and will affect a lot of businesses that rely on streaming etc too.

They can make tiers where VPN traffic isn't throttled/blocked. But, I know if my office ISP tries to do this we will instantly find a new ISP. The only thing keeping ISPs from being jerks is the push for them to be better than their competitors to draw in more customers.

There's a lot of misinformation and fake news being spread of how net neutrality was beneficial. All I need to say is that I'm glad it's gone.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

This does heavily remind me of this.

Very similar to "the good old days" kind of attitude IMO. Trying to go back to or stay with something that is objectively worse than moving forward, just for the sake of nostalgia of complacency. 

56 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not all of them, OpenVPN over port 443. Good luck filtering that one out...

True! I'm still there's still some way they can see that it's VPN traffic. Like if all of a sudden all traffic starts going through 443 and not the ports it normally would.

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

There's a lot of misinformation and fake news being spread of how net neutrality was beneficial. All I need to say is that I'm glad it's gone.

It's not gone yet.

Just now, Rubymaster said:

True! I'm still there's still some way they can see that it's VPN traffic. Like if all of a sudden all traffic starts going through 443 and not the ports it normally would.

What would they do, block all traffic over port 443? That would be so stupid for what I hope are very obvious reasons. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

also there is a chance that the the courts may side internet though but this is really depressing I going to download everything I need.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Now to sit back and watch all the shit that ISPs will do in the US and hope that the CRTC doesn't decide to imitate the US.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

When is it officially gone? 

Next year. BUT, before that can happen, Ajit needs to go through court. A court that's already ruled in favor of the current NN rules twice. And he has no real argument.

He says this "won't hurt" end users and will benefit us instead. He can't come up with how this will be. If you can't defend yourself or a decision in court, the court won't listen to you.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Next year. BUT, before that can happen, Ajit needs to go through court. A court that's already ruled in favor of the current NN rules twice. And he has no real argument.

He says this "won't hurt" end users and will benefit us instead. He can't come up with how this will be. If you can't defend yourself or a decision in court, the court won't listen to you.

If supposedly he won't be able to get rid of net neutrality even if the FCC voted to get rid of it why is everybody getting so angry?

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

If supposedly he won't be able to get rid of net neutrality even if the FCC voted to get rid of it why is everybody getting so angry?

Hype.

To other pro-NN people here, don't panic, but don't give up the fight just yet. The battle may have been lost but the war still goes on.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What would they do, block all traffic over port 443? That would be so stupid for what I hope are very obvious reasons. 

Block or throttle until that user stops using the VPN. What's going to stop them from basically turning off a customers internet because they don't like what the customer is doing?Who knows what ISPs are actually going to do now. Everything could stay the same or we could be screwed. Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

not sure about this, but can the court still consider the vote during midterms? 

Before NN was repealed: Comcast and Verizon offered services that didn't count against data limit so you'll use their platform.

After NN was repealed: Comcast and Verizon offered services that didn't count against data limit so you'll use their platform.

Yep. Xfinity TV and VZW's Go90 app still operates the same. NN is like jaywalking in the sense yes, it's there but rarely was enforced.

Ajit is still a shit.

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

not sure about this, but can the court still consider the vote during midterms? 

No. Also, Ajit Pai has to answer to Congress. Congress has 60 legislative days to either block or agree with the repeal.

IIRC doesn't this take until february to take effect? 

Buy as much storage as you can! Download all your content you might have to pay for or lose entirely later!

Welp people, Its been a pleasure being on this internet with you 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Before NN was repealed: Comcast and Verizon offered services that didn't count against data limit so you'll use their platform.

After NN was repealed: Comcast and Verizon offered services that didn't count against data limit so you'll use their platform.

Yep. Xfinity TV and VZW's Go90 app still operates the same. NN is like jaywalking in the sense yes, it's there but rarely was enforced.

It's one of the few things that people make a fuss about but barely existed in the first place.  And if it pisses off large tech companies, it's gotta be doing something right now that it is heading toward stacked courts and eventually Congress.

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

Hype.

To other pro-NN people here, don't panic, but don't give up the fight just yet. The battle may have been lost but the war still goes on.

Nobody really knows what will happen. Y'all just have to wait and see. 

Just now, Okjoek said:

IIRC doesn't this take until february to take effect? 

Buy as much storage as you can! Download all your content you might have to pay for or lose entirely later!

So all my questionable stuff? ;) 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, silentprototipe said:

So all my questionable stuff? ;) 

Yes. All of your heathen NepGear pron.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?