The FCC just KILLED Net Neutrality

RileyTheFox

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/16776154/fcc-net-neutrality-vote-results-rules-repealed

Net neutrality is dead — at least for now. In a 3-2 vote today, the Federal Communications Commission approved a measure to remove the tough net neutrality rules it put in place just two years ago. Those rules prevented internet providers from blocking and throttling traffic and offering paid fast lanes. They also classified internet providers as Title II common carriers in order to give the measure strong legal backing.

Ajit's arguments were completely false. Now expect to see ISPs setting up packages for certain websites.

HALT! PLEASE PAY $10 TO SEE THIS FORUM POST. WE HAVE ALSO SLOWED YOUR CONNECTION DOWN.

“This is not good,” Rosenworcel says. “Not good for consumers. Not good for businesses. Not good for anyone who connects and creates online.”

All is not over though! The FCC's decision can still be reversed by Congress. GET WRITING AND CALLING NOW!

Save Net Neutrality!

INCOMING NEWS:

It's just been heard that one of Ajit's arguments that Net Neutrality should be repealed is that 'Two million comments were stolen identities' and 'Half a Million comments from Russia' 

image.png.877d2497fa5b74d65a2a4b3b86fdf4cd.png

Today’s vote undoes all of that. It removes the Title II designation, preventing the FCC from putting tough net neutrality rules in place even if it wanted to. And, it turns out, the Republicans now in charge of the FCC really don’t want to. The new rules largely don’t prevent internet providers from doing anything. They can block, throttle, and prioritize content if they wish to. The only real rule is that they have to publicly state that they’re going to do it.

This is really sad. I pray that other countries like Canada and the UK don't follow this. I honestly have nothing else to write here. Go nuts in the replies. 

EDIT: Added info on how this can be reversed.

EDIT 2: Added more information and more of my thoughts.

EDIT 3: Added some critical news

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

In all seriousness, this is pretty stupid. There was no legitimate reason to get rid of Net Neutrality.

RIP free market internet. You will be severely missed.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

This is so sad. I hope it doesn’t pass through the court. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Yay, now Comcast can block even more things for me! Even now I can't access any P2P shit (aka glhf downloading a Linux distro quickly).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just in case everyone starts throttling my connection to this website or blocking it entirely, I just want to say to everyone on these forums: It was great being here and I loved every interaction with you all. This is by far the best community I've ever found online and I will miss it should it come to me being unable to access it anymore.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Yay, now Comcast can block even more things for me! Even now I can't access any P2P shit (aka glhf downloading a Linux distro quickly).

Do they still throttle if you're using a VPN?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

I would think they'd throttle that the most, can't they tell it's VPN traffic? If someone is using a VPN to circumvent their new rules it would only make sense for them to block it.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

They can. VPN's use specific ports. They can tell if someone is using a VPN and throttle or block all VPN traffic.

Edit: Forgot a period.

Just now, Technicolors said:

repeal won 3-2

Does that matter? from what I saw they canceled it.

I probably am wrong about this, what did I do wrong?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Just now, Rubymaster said:

They can VPN's use specific ports. They can tell if someone is using a VPN and throttle or block all VPN traffic.

And even if you somehow get around that (If you're willing to shell out, I suppose you could run OpenVPN on AWS or something and set up custom ports), packet inspection will still probably tell them what it is.  Or they just go with unknown traffic and throttle the hell out of it because it wasn't paid for in your plan.  Or sorry, they don't "optimize" the speed of the traffic or whatever bs they're going to sell it as.

Current stuff:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50ghz

GeForce GTX 1050

32gb Crucial DDR4 2133

500gb Samsung 850 EVO

5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM Laptop drive

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.20ghz

2x GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

4x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1

480gb Kingston HyperX Predator

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Corsair Strafe RGB w/MX Blue switches

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

Lots of completely necessary "Go Faster" lights

Server:

Dell PowerEdge T30

4x Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM Drives

1x4gb Hynix DDR4 2133 RAM

CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/MX Blue switches&Custom NVIDIA/QuakeCon keycaps

I think people just need to stop paying for their internet connection if it gets throttled, if no one pays with their new BS rules they'll be forced to not implement them, but good luck getting the masses to even notice what's happening let alone go without internet.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

I mean this does suck ass. 

But until the day the "pay $5 to view this site" is actually a thing im not going to worry. Im pretty sure nothing will change. 

9 hours ago, trekkie1701c said:

packet inspection will still probably tell them what it is

You cant read contents of an encrypted packet. All we see are IPs and ports. 

Just now, SALEEN961 said:

I think people just need to stop paying for their internet connection if it gets throttled, if no one pays with their new BS rules they'll be forced to not implement them, but good luck getting the masses to even notice what's happening let alone go without internet.

That's a really good point, let's all boycott the internet so ISPs can't make any money off no NN!

Seriously, that is a great idea someone get it on Reddit

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

But until the day the "pay $5 to view this site" is actually a thing im not going to worry. Im pretty sure nothing will change. 

I can see it not changing on the consumer end for awhile, but if they start charging websites for access to consumers, then it makes it harder for startups to happen.

Current stuff:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50ghz

GeForce GTX 1050

32gb Crucial DDR4 2133

500gb Samsung 850 EVO

5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM Laptop drive

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.20ghz

2x GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

4x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1

480gb Kingston HyperX Predator

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Corsair Strafe RGB w/MX Blue switches

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

Lots of completely necessary "Go Faster" lights

Server:

Dell PowerEdge T30

4x Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM Drives

1x4gb Hynix DDR4 2133 RAM

CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/MX Blue switches&Custom NVIDIA/QuakeCon keycaps

3 minutes ago, Rubymaster said:

They can. VPN's use specific ports. They can tell if someone is using a VPN and throttle or block all VPN traffic.

Edit: Forgot a period.

Not all of them, OpenVPN over port 443. Good luck filtering that one out...

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

They were paid to make this happen for a reason, companies wouldn't pay to kill net neutrality unless they planned to do something.

3 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

3 voted to repeal, 2 voted no. Susan collins is one of the two 

35 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

For starters, have you read the article?

Here is the first sentence:

Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Angus King, Jr. (I-ME) have sent a last-minute letter calling for FCC chairman Ajit Pai to cancel today’s net neutrality vote

As you can see it wasn't canceled. It obviously wasn't canceled since the voting happened.

Sadly we knew for a while back how this would end, and they literally voted as they said they will. The big question is what to do next.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.