ExpressCard gaming

RayWiis

Just saw Linuss video about the `most portable gaming station` or something like that. While thunderbolt over usb-c is cool its also pretty expensive, BUT i recently bought a used thinkpad x230 with an expresscard slot, and i know that there are external graphics card adapters for it.

I'm interested in how this would stand up to a modern thunderbolt setup. Thunderbolt would probably destroy it, but for up to a certain tier of graphics card i'd imagine it would be worth for gaming and maybe even productive type workloads. General discussion and especially people who have experience with this are welcome.

13 minutes ago, RayWiis said:

Just saw Linuss video about the `most portable gaming station` or something like that. While thunderbolt over usb-c is cool its also pretty expensive, BUT i recently bought a used thinkpad x230 with an expresscard slot, and i know that there are external graphics card adapters for it.

I'm interested in how this would stand up to a modern thunderbolt setup. Thunderbolt would probably destroy it, but for up to a certain tier of graphics card i'd imagine it would be worth for gaming and maybe even productive type workloads. General discussion and especially people who have experience with this are welcome.

It looks like the best expresscard speeds where equal to PCI1.0 so it would limit a modern graphics card pretty bad.  That combined with the laptop CPU would be better than nothing, but I guess it depends what games you want to play.

currently have this but with an elitebook 2570p and a gtx 950, ask me anything fam

runs at x1 2.0 but crashes occasionally. games run well enough, csgo is 100-150fps

idk