Drone newcomer questions

A_Lifeguard

Hey guys lifeguard here, 

Thinking about sinking some money into a drone lately. Im wanting something to use mainly for catching some footage so a good camera is a must. A guy at the hobby store suggested I stay away from Parrot and Dji and that I go ahead and buy a decked out drone from a company such as Traxxas and just attach a go pro to it. Is there any truths to this or am I better off going with another brand? I have no loyalties to anyone and I'm just searching for the best deal. Also I am a newcomer to the drone world, only have flown smaller lightweight drones. Any help you guys could provide would be awesome or things I haven't thought about. Appreciate the help guys! 

budget ?

but DJI is actually pretty good if you don't use the app

I would make sure it has a gimbill so it is steady 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

budget ?

but DJI is actually pretty good if you don't use the app

I would make sure it has a gimbill so it is steady 

Hmm I would maybe be shooting for something under 500? Is that reasonable or won't even scratch the surface? 

A lot of people like the phantom

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, A_Lifeguard said:

Hmm I would maybe be shooting for something under 500? Is that reasonable or won't even scratch the surface? 

you should be good.

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

you should be good

Any specific model you suggest? 

Attaching a GoPro to a drone is a bad idea, my friend should know. Generally, I agree a DJI is best but go with a cheap, new model. Something for consumers, obviously. I'm pretty new to this, but I believe Maverick or Spark are safe bets.  

Hope I have offered some help here.

Another one

Thanks for reading, if I got something wrong, please let me know by replying to this comment.

Want to see more tech and photography opinions from me? Here's a convenient link ;):

Sorry, the website is still being set up. I'll try to get it finished as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Just now, Sam. said:

Attaching a GoPro to a drone is a bad idea, my friend should know. Generally, I agree a DJI is best but go with a cheap, new model. Something for consumers, obviously. I'm pretty new to this, but I believe Maverick or Spark are safe bets.  

Hope I have offered some help here.

Quick note, if the drone has a gimble, u should be fine as far as I know in terms of getting a traxxass.

Another one

Thanks for reading, if I got something wrong, please let me know by replying to this comment.

Want to see more tech and photography opinions from me? Here's a convenient link ;):

Sorry, the website is still being set up. I'll try to get it finished as soon as possible.

Thanks!

So the gimble is what controls the stability aspect of it? Such as how the Phantom 4 has basically little to no wobble in its footage?

I LOVE that phantom 4 however paying 1,000+ for a full set up would be out of question. 

Any opinions on Parrot?

& Thanks @Sam. I will look into the Maverick or Spark!

No problem @A_Lifeguard

Another one

Thanks!

uhhh... Traxxas is an rc car company. They make some toy drones because that's where the market is going. 

If you want footage, definitely get a DJI as those are the best in the business as far as out of the box solutions. The mavic and the phantom 3 standard are like the only two I'd really recommend. The mavic is more compact and takes better video, but the phantom 3 standard is half the price. I do recommend you get a toy drone like a Hubsan X4 to learn the controls so you don't crash your fancy toy on the first try. 

Also we have a multirotor hangout thread in the hobby electronics sub forum, we talk about all things multirotor, but mostly FPV stuff. Feel free to ask questions there.

ASU