Can I use 2 Graphics cards on 2monitors

Cupar19

Ok so basically I have a gtx 1060 6gb and 2 monitors but I want to have different programs on each monitor but have them hooked up to one pc and I know that you can have both connected to the one graphics card but I don’t want to do that. I was wondering if I bought another graphics card that wasn’t as good could I have each monitor use each graphics cards and if so what graphics cards would be supported

Welcome to the forums!

Just being curoius.. Why don't you want to hook them up to the same GPU?

It's probably the easiest and most "bug free" way of doing it.

Doesn't affect performance when gaming if that's what you're worried about.

What do you mean by another program? Unless it is something that would actually use the GPU, for example mining or rendering, there is no problem with having another monitor hooked up to the same card. While you are in game just put the program you want to use on the other screen.

The best way is to hook them up to the same one. It would be difficult to use two different ones. 

Other programs I mean video editing and recording but the main reason is my friends tried to shove hdmi cables in the other 2 ports and broke them so the card only has 1 port

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

Other programs I mean video editing and recording but the main reason is my friends tried to shove hdmi cables in the other 2 ports and broke them so the card only has 1 port

Then you tell that SOB to give you money to get a new card. And most 1060s have 3 DP plugs so you should still be fine.

There’s 3 ports I’m using one he broke 2 also he is giving the money but I wanted to keep using the old 1060 because it would be a waste otherwise

2 hours ago, Cupar19 said:

There’s 3 ports I’m using one he broke 2 also he is giving the money but I wanted to keep using the old 1060 because it would be a waste otherwise

If you're really keen on 2 cards, get a second 1060 to match and SLI them. Then use the card with damaged ports as the #2 card in the SLI.

Yes, you can use 2 GPU's and have each a monitor connected to it. And yes, it will work. I have done this in the past, where I would connect my main monitor to my onboard GPU, and my second screen (which is in my bedroom) to an old GT 610. So AMD APU + Nvidea GPU would work together, with each their own monitor connected to them.

Keep in mind, cloning screens might not work, due to different GPU's in use.

12 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Ok so basically I have a gtx 1060 6gb and 2 monitors but I want to have different programs on each monitor but have them hooked up to one pc and I know that you can have both connected to the one graphics card but I don’t want to do that. I was wondering if I bought another graphics card that wasn’t as good could I have each monitor use each graphics cards and if so what graphics cards would be supported

Windows supports outputting on mixed GPUs, so it doesn't really matter what combination you use. If you need just another video output, consider either using the integrated GPU (assuming you have an Intel platform) or get a cheapo video card.

4 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

If you're really keen on 2 cards, get a second 1060 to match and SLI them. Then use the card with damaged ports as the #2 card in the SLI.

Can't SLI 1060s

so if i got a gtx 710 and connected it via hdmi to my other monitor the one for gaming would utilize the 1060 and my other one for recording ,searching, editing, etc

would utilize the 710 with no problems?

Just now, Cupar19 said:

so if i got a gtx 710 and connected it via hdmi to my other monitor the one for gaming would utilize the 1060 and my other one for recording ,searching, editing, etc

would utilize the 710 with no problems?

It can't choose dynamically which GPU to use; it will use whichever one you plug the monitor into. If you set the monitor plugged into your 1060 as your primary monitor, then it will use the 1060 for games.

yes so i leave the 1060 in my main and connect the other, probably a 710,into the other that's what they would use. and is there any cards specifically that wouldnt work for the use of extending my desktop due to drivers or hardware

If you have any integrated graphics, use that (usually requires changing a setting in the BIOS to allow that to run if you have discrete graphics installed). Otherwise, just find some cheap card.

ok thanks guys im going to but the gt 1030 and use that unless any of you know any reason that wont work

Any other card will work. Doesn't really matter as long as it has video output.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz